Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 2:41 am

For the last two months I've been trying to return to a slightly adapted form of my old diet (pro lentil). It's lead to

carb snacking and not looking forward to dinner and I've less energy. I've learnt to listen to my body so I'm returning

to the meat. I'm now experimenting on myself to see what my body is happiest with starting with predominantly

wholefoods, lowish carbs, modest protean, and plenty of fat. Is anyone on anything similar? or are you

experimenting with your own diet?

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 4:22 am

I tried going lower GI, but discovered I can't handle wholegrains.
So now I'm back on the white bread and refined grains and feeling a lot better.
Other than that, I just try to keep up intake of vegetables and protein foods, and that seems to take care of everything.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 8:00 am

Many years ago I gained a lot of weight and blood pressure and sugar diabetes became a problem. My doctor suggested that I try the low fat diet to lose weight. The results were disastrous. My blood pressure went through the roof and I was always ravenously hungry.

As a result, I tried a radically different approach which restricted carbs. It was known as the Aiken's diet. This approached worked. I lost my hunger and my weight and my physical health improved. Fat helps take away hunger. Even though you eat fat, your body will absorb only so much of it. But the problem is staying on the diet becomes monotonous.

Eventually I has gastric bypass surgery and solved the problem. I dropped 120 pounds and many of my health conditions went into remission. So today I avoid sugars like a plague. I generally restrict myself to one meal per day with complex carbs. My diet is high protein and includes some fats, similar to Adkins. But it is a little more balanced.

leahbear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2019, 3:29 pm

Ooh I love experimenting on myself. I have a bunch of chronic health conditions that couldn’t be helped by conventional medicine so I’ve been experimenting on myself and tracking all of this for many years. I was a vegetarian for half of my life but my conditions kept progressing so I tried vegan, paleo, low carb paleo, auto immune protocol. Any time my carbs get too low my thyroid freaks out so I’ve settled on my own weird, strict diet that keeps me feeling the best.

I’ve collected 10 years of data on myself. I plan to learn some machine learning so I can play around with it. I’ve been planning this for a few years but never had the mental energy to get started with my illnesses. I’ve been working really hard on my health and my brain seems to be coming alive again and I’ve started working on the initial stages of my project.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 2:14 pm

I too experiment on myself. I'm very cognizant of how food makes me feel because I do a 2 day water fast every couple of months. It helps to kind of reset my system. When I'm done, I need less seasoning on food, am more likely to make better food decisions and I have no horrible cravings. And sugar always tastes super sweet so I generally avoid it until it gradually creeps back in.