social pragmatic communication disorder

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

little gator
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Apr 2019, 9:03 am

I was just told my diasnotic tests for autism would inlcude autism OR spcd. I looke dit up and my impression is it's a way to own autistic signs while denying you have the big A. I do not want this dignosis. I wasn autistic or not-autistic. Comments?

working on getting diagnosed either way

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2019, 10:59 pm

Just a thought. The DSM-5 criteria for SPCD include "The symptoms are not attributable to another medical or neurological condition or to low abilities in the domains of word structure and grammar, and are not better explained by autism spectrum disorder, intellectual disability (intellectual developmental disorder), global developmental delay, or another mental disorder."

So if you have the other characteristics of autism, such as restricted interests and repetitive behavior, or sensory integration or processing impairment, or chronic anxiety, coordination issues, or frequent sensory overwhelm, that would seem to weigh in favor of a diagnosis of autism rather than SPCD. Or speech onset delay when you were a child would suggest autism too.

little gator
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Apr 2019, 12:49 pm

huh. i'm waiting ot be tested.

Ants
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Apr 2019, 11:32 am

EyeDash wrote:
Just a thought. The DSM-5 criteria for SPCD include "The symptoms are not attributable to another medical or neurological condition or to low abilities in the domains of word structure and grammar, and are not better explained by autism spectrum disorder, intellectual disability (intellectual developmental disorder), global developmental delay, or another mental disorder."

So if you have the other characteristics of autism, such as restricted interests and repetitive behavior, or sensory integration or processing impairment, or chronic anxiety, coordination issues, or frequent sensory overwhelm, that would seem to weigh in favor of a diagnosis of autism rather than SPCD. Or speech onset delay when you were a child would suggest autism too.

Well articulated. I hope that helped Little gator as much as it did me.

little gator
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2019, 1:29 pm

thank. will have ameetign witht eh diagnoser soon, and then set up for tests.