Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Apr 2019, 7:25 pm

I'm new to running, but thinking about how much fun it will be when running is easier and I get to run big races keeps me going. Running is not fun at first, but I know people who love it.

What motivates you?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 8:11 pm

I've run three marathons.

What would motivate me is if I can get rid of the arthritis in my knees.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2019, 9:03 pm

I haven't been a runner in over ten years, but I ran a lot of 5k, 10k races and a marathon. Training to reach the goal of running the marathon was the prime motivator for me as was running longer and longer distances in my runs until a ten mile run as a routine was nothing. I got to the point where I could run that kind of distance at a good pace breathing through my nostrils the entire time if I was running on a flat grade.

The "runner's high" is definitely real. From what I recall, after 45 minutes of continuous vigorous exercise, the brain releases endorphins. I became accustomed to the runner's high to the point that when I was injured (ligament) and had to immediately stop running, I went through a withdrawal of sorts.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 2:11 pm

I've never run a marathon but I used to run 3-5 miles every day. I honestly just loved exercise and it helped me burn through all the extra energy I had. It also helped me feel good all day long and helped me to sleep better during naps and at night.

I'd like to start running again. Right now I'm running intervals and my motivation is taking care of my health as I get older, as well as not making my clothes cry. But the struggle is real.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Apr 2019, 2:53 pm

I'm not a new runner as I've been running for over 30 years, in and off. It gets easier and the body adjusts quickly. I started with short distances and then half marathons, full marathons and those somewhere in between. My first ultra was a 50 km.

I always said I'd never run the Comrades Marathon in our country, which is just under 90 kilometers or about 56 miles and an extremely hilly race. But I was inspired to when watching an 80 year old man finishing the race on TV. I eventually went on to finish 10 of them and nearly finish another two.

So yeah, running definitely grows on you and becomes something you can't let go. It's true that there's no finish line...

My main motivation is it keeps my figure in shape and keeps me far fitter than most guys half my age.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 6:16 am

I'm motivated by enjoyment. I love to run and therefore I do it.
If I didn't enjoy it I would do something else.