Does anyone believe a fast metabolism is a sign of Aspergers

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

betty_ferret
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Apr 2019, 11:39 am

I have learned a very important lesson when it comes to eating, as I've been through some pretty heavy eating disorder issues for the last decade and a half of my life. (Okay, more like decade and a third, but whatever.)
Eat what you feel like eating at the moment you feel like eating it.
If you have an intense craving for something, fulfill it, and check that off your internal need's list once you've reached satisfaction (if you have one of those, like I do, tee hee)
Appreciate the heck out of what you're eating.
Eat naturally colorful things. And pair bland colored things with colorful condiments. Make your food look enticing!
Thank the heavens for giving us the ability to taste and chew and swallow and digest. Don't take that for granted.

Last, but not least, understand that the quality of the food you eat will most definitely impact the way you feel. If you eat cheetos and twinkies then you're going to feel like absolute cancer. If you eat fresh salmon and a dark, leafy green salad then you'll feel divine and holy. TRUST ME! I'm a woman who's so friggen in tune with themselves that it's scary. Do I follow my own rules all of the time? Nope. But I know them...so beware....

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 11:43 am

I like your rules, Betty Ferret.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 11:52 am

Nope. If it was I wouldn't gain a pound just by looking at food. To lose any weight I'd have to exercise four hours a day and go on a special diet where for breakfast I'd eat two soy beans, for lunch I'd eat a carrot stick, and at suppertime I'd look at a picture of some food, except I can't because just looking at food makes me gain weight, so I crumple up the picture and cry my eyes out. :cry:

Map84
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Apr 2019, 1:30 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Nope. If it was I wouldn't gain a pound just by looking at food. To lose any weight I'd have to exercise four hours a day and go on a special diet where for breakfast I'd eat two soy beans, for lunch I'd eat a carrot stick, and at suppertime I'd look at a picture of some food, except I can't because just looking at food makes me gain weight, so I crumple up the picture and cry my eyes out. :cry:

Haha that's honestly hilarious

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 4:01 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:

I'm similar now, I see a higher number on the scale every time I weigh myself.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2019, 12:34 am

I'm skinny, but that is a sample size of one. I've never heard that a fast metabolism is associated with AS. I have heard that there is a high comorbidity with digestive issues, and IBS type diseases though.

Harpuia wrote:
No. I have a very fast metabolism but that's because of my Crohn's Disease so I dont really absorb everything I eat.

Case in point. Although, technically having Crohns doesn't mean you necessarily have a high metabolism. It just means a lot of calories don't make it into your body in the first place. People with high metabolisms burn calories faster than others, not absorb less.

Also, I've heard that a lot of people on the spectrum struggle with food portion control.

Lindsey1151
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2019, 10:05 am

Joe90 wrote:
No. Some people have a faster metabolism than others. It's got nothing to do with whether you're autistic or not.

My metabolism has slowed down in the last 5 years. I used to be able to eat loads and not have to worry about my weight, and I was so slim. These days I'm not as slim and it's more harder to lose weight.

That's normal as you get older. But i'm worried because I seem to just blow up like a balloon. :/

Lindsey1151
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Apr 2019, 1:02 am

DeFyYing wrote:
Although I've heard that it's more common for Aspies to be overweight, I've always struggled with gaining weight. Last year I was 5'8 and 90lbs! I'm 115lbs now so I'm getting there (probably mostly cuz of my meds lul) but it's getting better

Do you eat alot? Like the amount a really really fat person would eat.

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Apr 2019, 3:18 am

lostonearth35 wrote:

That's both funny and sad, and I'm right there with you.

I sure wish I had a fast metabolism. There was a woman I used to work with who was tall, willowy and could eat anything she wanted without gaining a pound. She had so much energy that if she was bored she cleaned her house from top to bottom... for fun. I always wondered what her secret was. Not meth... she was too healthy and functioned much too well for that.

But alas, I'm her opposite. I also have very little energy and tend to subconsciously conserve it by moving as little as possible. Someone once observed that they had never seen someone who sits as perfectly still as I do. That doesn't help.

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki