Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 6:54 am

JonWood007 wrote:
I am a tentative yang supporter but am switching back and forth between him and bernie. I like UBI, but I also like sanders' medicare for all idea. Bernie doesnt like UBI, and Yang backed off of single payer healthcare so I'm split.

I will say I think his implementation of UBI is quite sloppy and needs work. The numbers don't add up well. I think that if he gets into office he would need to rework his numbers so I'm hoping his plan is kind of a first draft, but yeah.

I think he's a good candidate bringing attention to issues that otherwise wouldnt be discussed and is basically shifting the overton window in the direction of UBI. I don't think he's perfect but he's one of my personal favorites right now.

Yang -- like Trump -- has no prior government experience. IMO Yang would probably be much better than Trump (almost anyone would be better than Trump), but the U.S. Presidency should not be an entry-level job.

At least Sanders has many years of experience in the U.S. Congress.

Business experience is not a substitute for government experience. Business experience may be a plus, but only if a candidate also has government experience.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 7:00 am

cyberdad wrote:
The closest thing we had to UBI was Ausstudy in Australia and NZstudy in New Zealand.

It was a basically a wage paid to students who studied in university which allowed a income to live away from home. Many of the current conservative ministers who jettisoned this policy (because it was considered too expensive) were themselves recipients of a free (paid) education but now want to introduce upfront fees like in US colleges.

There was recently a fairly ambitious experiment with UBI in Finland. The results were less than encouraging, if I remember right.

BAP_Buddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Oct 2019, 11:42 pm

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/02/andrew-yang-fundraising-third-quarter-022493

Quote:
Andrew Yang likes to joke about being a math guy, and right now, the numbers are on his side.

The Democratic businessman announced Wednesday that over the past three months he raked in $10 million for his presidential campaign — more than a number of his rivals for the Democratic nomination and just shy of Sen. Kamala Harris, who has won three statewide elections in the nation’s biggest state.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 6:02 am

hanyo wrote:
https://www.yang2020.com/

I only found 1 old topic about him on here. What do you all think of him? I agree with a lot of his policies and I think UBI would be great for many of us here, especially those of us that can't work at all or can only get low paying jobs. UBI would change my life and the lives of a lot of poor people.

One of his sons is autistic.

https://www.yang2020.com/policies/autis ... n-funding/

Yes I support Andrew Yang for 2020.
He’s not based in Washington DC swamp.
He’s the only one of them who really isn’t a politician. He calls himself a “serial entrepreneur.”
He doesn’t just talk about jobs, he actually creates jobs. He’s a man of action. A problem solver.
He helps people create new jobs for themselves through his nationwide organization “Venture For America.”
He depends on statistics, data, figures and numbers to make rational decisions.
Not reckless emotions, racial identity politics, corporate cronies or corrupt lobbyists.
His UBI idea is really not new. Thomas Paine, Milton Friedman and Martin Luther King already thought of it.
He does not fit into typical “Liberal” or “Conservative”, “Leftwing” or “Rightwing” boxes easily which is good.
He can appeal to people from all sides of the political spectrum, which promotes national unity, not division.
He is the only candidate thinking out of the box, thinking of efficient ways to solve problems now, not later.

Anyway, he’s been interviewed on both conservative and liberal shows, and they gave him a good assessment.
He was on Joe Rogan’s podcast a few months ago. I also recommend check out these interviews below..

Yang with Ben Shapiro

Yang with Jimmy Dore

Yang with Krystal Ball