Has a critical/analytical inclination caused problems in you

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

timf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2019, 11:53 am

I have noticed that Aspergers provides me with a constant evaluative stream of perception. Having been raised in the Lutheran church, it was my tendency to evaluate whatever I heard (in general but also in church) in terms of assessing if such things were true, possible, consistent, or made sense in view of what I understood.

I discovered that Lutherans (and since then most other denominations) are not overly fond of a critical assessment or even inquiry into established doctrines. I was curious if other Asperger Christians also encountered similar difficulties.

I have made some sense out of things over many years but mostly outside of denominational realms. The key I found was to avoid the “we’re right and you’re wrong” entanglements frequently found in denominations and seek out those few individuals who are searching for truth.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2019, 12:43 pm

This is probably true. I have found that in Church discussions, I will sometimes preface my statement with -
"I am not speaking in terms of church doctrine but this is my perception."

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2019, 2:50 pm

I was seriously sceptical of the whole church thing - I think I was an atheist at age 7. But leaving church was really the easy part, because my family wasn't very religious, and church was seen more of a traditional thing.

But I still get into trouble for this at work, here and there, and had to switch jobs/ needed to switch to working freelance because I couldn't keep my mouth shut and my superiors didn't appreciate me asking why I was supposed to do things a cetainway and if wasn't better a different way - constantly questioning their work. I have to say though, I'm not sad about having to leave these jobs.