Acquaintance who doesn't want to talk to or see you

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

WannaBeNT
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Apr 2019, 11:57 am

I have an acquaintance who occasionally lets me know they exist via social media contact, but never make an effort to call, text, or visit me. This person knows my family and friends but refuses to provide me with information about themselves (after 3 years, I don't know this person's last name).

We live in the same town and I used to see them at the gym, but they disappeared suddenly and I haven't seen them in a couple of years.

This acquaintance says they are on the spectrum. I have invited this person to visit, call, text, etc., but they do not respond to the invitations--it's like I've never submitted the requests.

Is it time to let this person go? Is there some other reason for the erratic contact?

I have been forthcoming, honest, and have expressed a strong desire to be there for them, but they remain at a distance, contacting me when and how they please.

Thanks for your input.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2019, 12:16 pm

Of this person is just an acquaintance not a friend, why are you so bothered by this? The person obviously doesn't want to be friends, and that's ok. Everyone doesn't have to be friends with everyone else.

I can imagine the other person posting here with, "Ive never given this acquaintance any reason to think I want to be friends, in fact I've even actively ignored her, even changed gyms to avoid her, but she keeps pestering me. I'm autistic and don't deal well with this kind of pressure or directly telling someone no. What should I do?"

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2019, 2:39 pm

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2019, 2:48 pm

Since you posted in Love and Dating, does it mean you fancy this acquaintance of yours?

Either way, I'm afraid the previous posters are right: definitely time to let go.