Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2019, 6:00 pm

I'm trying to find an old thread I started about 2 or 3 years ago, but every time I type the keywords into the WP search bar (including my username), it comes up with completely irrelevant results, and the page numbers at the bottom are covered up by the Active Discussions box, so I can't even search further than half of the first page of results.

I've tried entering it in Google too, including adding Wrong planet.net so that it knows where to find the results, but still no luck. It comes up with the same sort of results as the WP search does, and less results too. I try to change the keywords each time but I still can't find what I'm looking for. I can't remember how I worded the title of this thread exactly, but I can remember what the thread was about and what the possible keywords in the title could be.

I just want to read this particular thread.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2019, 7:00 pm

Try accessing the particulat sub-forum first -- the one you think the thread is most likely in -- before you try any googlemancy.

If your every effort fails, you may have to consider the possibility that your post or the entire thread was deleted.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2019, 2:53 am

I don't think it was deleted. It just died off like the majority of threads do, and I know it's somewhere around. It's either in Members (which I'm not sure will come up with results on WP search or not), Social Skills, the Haven, or General. I wish I could remember when I posted it, because then I could jump to a chosen page until I get to the month and year I posted it in and go down the pages until I find it. I know it was about somewhere in between 1 and a half to 3 years ago but don't know specifically when.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2019, 7:28 pm

I’ve found this link useful, but it may be the same as what you’re trying. Another member showed it to me when I couldn’t find what I was looking for.

search.php

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 7:27 am

AnneOleson wrote:
I’ve found this link useful, but it may be the same as what you’re trying. Another member showed it to me when I couldn’t find what I was looking for.

search.php

This was not what I was already trying, but I used it just now and I did find what I was looking for! So thank you. :)

I've bookmarked it too so I'll know where to find it next time I need to look for a certain thread. I do love exploring old WP posts I remember creating or replying to.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 8:06 am

I have the same problem. I don't know why the site can't have its own mechanism for this.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 8:18 am

So ... people who can't remember what they posted, where they posted it, and when it was posted are blaming a system that doesn't automatically know exactly what they want and just hand it to them ... ?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 4:25 am

Fnord wrote:
So ... people who can't remember what they posted, where they posted it, and when it was posted are blaming a system that doesn't automatically know exactly what they want and just hand it to them ... ?

Yes.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Apr 2019, 6:28 am

No. I sometimes try to find some old discussion others refer to and the google mechanism is useless but search.php is helpful. It should be an official, visibly linked option.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 10:07 am

Joe90 wrote:
I can't remember how I worded the title of this thread exactly, but I can remember what the thread was about and what the possible keywords in the title could be.

I just want to read this particular thread.

Click on your name , click on 'Search user’s posts' , then type the keywords into 'Search these results:'

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 10:09 am

FERRIS!!

Welcome Back!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 10:10 am

Thanks dude , I'm going to edge myself back in slowly

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard