What is The Most Practical Major for an Autistic?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Zack1994
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2019, 1:12 am

I'm looking for a major that'll land me a job as quickly as possible. I did some google searches online and did some research and found the data I encountered said that autistics have a low chance of being employed. An 85% chance of unemployment. I have found three major fields be the most practical for myself since I have spent most of my life in front of a computer with no experience in anything else I do and I doubt I have a real social life. I also jimmy rig and break anything I touch. Here are the three majors in college: Business, Library, and Computer Science.

I have heard stories of people in business having no job after college, and have heard that computer science degrees lead you nowhere if you aren't passionate about programming. Library I don't know if I'll be good at either.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2019, 1:32 am

If you can find a branch of business that you like, that is the most practical choice, especially if you can combine it with computers. Accounting, finance, insurance, etc., are all very computer oriented. (The "quants" -- people who combine advanced math and finance -- are very highly paid.) Library work is wonderful in theory, but there will be very few openings, and it will involve a lot of social/political skill, sad to say.

There Are Four Lights!

Zack1994
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2019, 2:20 am

Business isn't going to work... I guess computer science it is.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2019, 12:31 pm

A few practicalities:

1) Something you don't hate. This is most important, as you'll struggle in anything you hate. Ideally it's something you're passionate about but 6th century japanese archaeology doesn't land many jobs even if you're passionate about it.

2) Something that emphasizes performance over soft skills. STEM fields tend to do this, but so do things like accounting, and musical performance.

3) Something that pays well/has a strong job market. This where STEM fields tend to dominate for successful autistics. They are in demand, value performance over soft skills, and pay well.

Based on the three majors you listed I would guess programming/computer science is the path of least resistance. That doesn't mean you can't succeed in another field, just that it might be more challenging to get a good job from the library, or more difficult to network in the business culture.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 4:33 am

My opinion without all of the Politically correct, you can do anything you set your mind to, positive attitude BS.

With rare exceptions, autistic people including myself is to disabled for competitive employment. Parents need to accept this fact, quit trying to mainstream autistic folks and move on. It doesn't work and the statistics prove this as true. Claim them disability, save up for them and make it to where they have some form trust fund. If you as a potential parent can't do this don't f*****g have children unless you can up for them. Employers will never accept us into their employ and quiet honestly would it make business sense to accept us with all of our issues including but not limited to more detailed instructions and more time to do things. Will this fly with employers who can tell other NT employees to do the same things with less issues. Less issues means less time spent and time is money.

B4 anyone says I'm being to negative would you rather I lie to you and fake positivity and pretend for something which is not so or would I rather tell you the truth no matter how harsh or negative it is. I'd rather be a truthful negative person then a false and dishonest positive person. And, I'd rather have no hope for anything then false hope.

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Apr 2019, 1:03 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
My opinion without all of the Politically correct, you can do anything you set your mind to, positive attitude BS.

With rare exceptions, autistic people including myself is to disabled for competitive employment. Parents need to accept this fact, quit trying to mainstream autistic folks and move on. It doesn't work and the statistics prove this as true. Claim them disability, save up for them and make it to where they have some form trust fund. If you as a potential parent can't do this don't f*****g have children unless you can up for them. Employers will never accept us into their employ and quiet honestly would it make business sense to accept us with all of our issues including but not limited to more detailed instructions and more time to do things. Will this fly with employers who can tell other NT employees to do the same things with less issues. Less issues means less time spent and time is money.

B4 anyone says I'm being to negative would you rather I lie to you and fake positivity and pretend for something which is not so or would I rather tell you the truth no matter how harsh or negative it is. I'd rather be a truthful negative person then a false and dishonest positive person. And, I'd rather have no hope for anything then false hope.

You're inviting people to mistreat you by acting this way.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2019, 1:38 am

Dan82 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:

Acting like what way? Telling the truth? And, those who would mistreat me would mistreat me no matter how I act. It's time to cut the s**t.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2019, 7:52 am

My feeling is that some autistic people could make it in the "outer world."

And some can't.

Many parents aren't rich enough to be able to establish "trust funds" for their kids. All they can do is the best they can.

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Apr 2019, 2:57 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Dan82 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:

Acting like what way? Telling the truth? And, those who would mistreat me would mistreat me no matter how I act. It's time to cut the s**t.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 12:45 am

Dan82 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
Dan82 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:

And, what have I said that is inaccurate?

And, here's another problem with what you said. It seems like "you're blaming the victim." It's like saying if I buy a mercedez benz I'm inviting others to rob me.

Look at these stats from the bureau of labor statistics.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/disabl.t01.htm

Look at the numbers for those who are employed, unemployed and not in the labor force of the disabled vs non-disabled. For the disabled there are more not in the labor force then either the employed or unemployed. For the non-disabled there are more employed then either the unemployed or not in the labor force.

Like I said, I think it's time to cut the s**t. If the numbers are correct 85% of autistic folks are not in the employed category. If I'm right this is actually an outlier for those with disabilities whom are employed, unemployed and not in the labor force. In other words, for autistic people the situation is worse then those are are disabled but not ASD.

It isn't just our lack of social skills that impact us on the spectrum. Some of us have extreme executive functioning deficits as well as central auditory processing disorder.

With rare exception, the truth of the matter is that we as autistics are simply to disabled to be employed. It is time for us to accept this and it is time for our families as well as society to accept this. We as autistics are to impaired to be employed.

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 7:57 am

if i could go back time i'll just major in middle eastern south asian studies and get my linguistics phd and then suffer from my post lunch stupors in the language lab for the rest of my life and if conveniently do some field studies at times.

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Apr 2019, 8:37 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Dan82 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
Dan82 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:

And, here's another problem with what you said. It seems like "you're blaming the victim." It's like saying if I buy a mercedez benz I'm inviting others to rob me.

Look at the numbers for those who are employed, unemployed and not in the labor force of the disabled vs non-disabled. For the disabled there are more not in the labor force then either the employed or unemployed. For the non-disabled there are more employed then either the unemployed or not in the labor force.

Like I said, I think it's time to cut the s**t. If the numbers are correct 85% of autistic folks are not in the employed category. If I'm right this is actually an outlier for those with disabilities whom are employed, unemployed and not in the labor force. In other words, for autistic people the situation is worse then those are are disabled but not ASD.

It isn't just our lack of social skills that impact us on the spectrum. Some of us have extreme executive functioning deficits as well as central auditory processing disorder.

With rare exception, the truth of the matter is that we as autistics are simply to disabled to be employed. It is time for us to accept this and it is time for our families as well as society to accept this. We as autistics are to impaired to be employed.

I dunno, man. I haven't really "read" your "post," but the statistics I've heard is that 33% of the autistic population is employed and I think that includes the about 30% who are low functioning, meaning roughly half of high functioning autistics are employed.

The autistic rights movement says "just a difference"; I'd argue "just a disability." In any case, we're apparently in agreement that programs and services would increase employment. I don't know if you've ever read, like, that book Neurotribes, but I trust its research more than a guy spouting trite conservative catchphrases.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2019, 7:24 am

Dan82 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
Dan82 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
Dan82 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:

I dunno, man. I haven't really "read" your "post," but the statistics I've heard is that 33% of the autistic population is employed and I think that includes the about 30% who are low functioning, meaning roughly half of high functioning autistics are employed.

The autistic rights movement says "just a difference"; I'd argue "just a disability." In any case, we're apparently in agreement that programs and services would increase employment. I don't know if you've ever read, like, that book Neurotribes, but I trust its research more than a guy spouting trite conservative catchphrases.

1. What conservative catchphrases did I spout?

2. How do you derive that half of high functioning autistics are employed if only 33% of the total autistic population is employed. All the stats you've given me is that more then half of those autistics who are employed are high functioning. NOt the same as saying that half of high functioning autistics are employed.

Just b/c all apples are fruit is true doesn't mean that all fruit are apples is true.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2019, 9:36 pm

I am an English major. For me, my potential for success greatly depends on what I want to do with my degree.

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 May 2019, 6:25 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Dan82 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
Dan82 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
Dan82 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:

1. What conservative catchphrases did I spout?

2. How do you derive that half of high functioning autistics are employed if only 33% of the total autistic population is employed. All the stats you've given me is that more then half of those autistics who are employed are high functioning. NOt the same as saying that half of high functioning autistics are employed.

Just b/c all apples are fruit is true doesn't mean that all fruit are apples is true.

u mad?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2019, 7:15 pm

Dan82 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
My opinion without all of the Politically correct, you can do anything you set your mind to, positive attitude BS. With rare exceptions, autistic people including myself is to disabled for competitive employment. Parents need to accept this fact, quit trying to mainstream autistic folks and move on. It doesn't work and the statistics prove this as true. Claim them disability, save up for them and make it to where they have some form trust fund. If you as a potential parent can't do this don't f*****g have children unless you can up for them. Employers will never accept us into their employ and quiet honestly would it make business sense to accept us with all of our issues including but not limited to more detailed instructions and more time to do things. Will this fly with employers who can tell other NT employees to do the same things with less issues. Less issues means less time spent and time is money. B4 anyone says I'm being to negative would you rather I lie to you and fake positivity and pretend for something which is not so or would I rather tell you the truth no matter how harsh or negative it is. I'd rather be a truthful negative person then a false and dishonest positive person. And, I'd rather have no hope for anything then false hope.
Agreed. It's a return to the days when people with "mental problems" (including autism) were banished to their parents' attics or sent off to asylums for the rest of their lives -- a truly barbaric practice.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.