Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2019, 7:06 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Harpuia wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Harpuia wrote:
Buttigieg isn't winning this way.

He wants to use his religion and "redefine Christianity". But reality is you're not going to. Take it from someone who grew up in that environment. Christianity IS hand-in-hand with the Republican party and conservative ideology in this country, and that is probably never going to change.

You're going to isolate the progressive left who despises Christianity and all things religion right now, as they see it as the symbol of Republicans, the symbol of Trump.

And if by some miracle he makes it to the general election, you have people like Bachmann, Huckabee, etc., that most of the devout religious see as "true Christians" saying Trump is a paragon of Christianity (Bachmann going so far as saying we will probably never have a more Christian president in our history) while Buttigieg is being heckled around being called the "son of Gomorrah". Who do you think wins the religious vote?

So he's not going to win like this. Unfortunately, as much as it's annoying, he's going to have to follow the progressive left and either ignore or be hostile toward the religious in order to have any hope of winning.

Actually, I consider myself to be of the progressive left, but I also fancy myself to be a Christian. I hardly consider Buttigeig as so divisive.

I have "friends" (I use that term very loosely) on the progressive left on Facebook that would never vote for Buttigieg because of his religious tendencies. He's been getting a surprising amount of votes from more centrist and conservative (they still exist?) Democrats. Unfortunately, we centrists are poison this election cycle.

You sound cool though. I like economic progressives who are willing to look at options besides Bernie Sanders and whatever AOC likes. Bernie's cool and all, but he feels very different this time around, and I can't put my finger as to why.

Me? I like Buttigieg and Yang. But the progressive left I know would never vote in a devout Christian or an Asian man. At least not right now. Yang especially prob has a better chance primarying Trump than trying to go for the DNC nom especially since some liberal media articles I've been reading have been trying to tie him and his ideas to the alt-right.

Why thank you! 8)
Maybe because I'm a Lutheran, I've been raised with certain notions: such as that there's the Kingdom of the right hand (God's realm, which is both heaven and in the hearts of believers), and the Kingdom of the left hand (the kingdom of man, or secular government, which is flawed being of man). While God rules both, they are kept separate, which in fact Madison credited to the origins of separation of church and state. And of course, Luther himself had once observed: "I'd rather be ruled over by a competent, unbelieving Turk than by an incompetent Christian."
As Buttigeig is an Episcopalian, I wouldn't be a bit surprised that he's familiar with such thinking, as the founder of his faith, Thomas Crammer, had been one of Luther's theological students. They are also a mainline denomination, as are Lutherans, thus having more sensible ideas.

I've never heard of Crammer. I always thought the Episcopal Church was founded by King Henry VIII.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2019, 7:28 pm

He has gained notice, I would suggest, simply because he appears to be intelligent and reasonably articulate. The fact that he stands out because of these qualities says more about the democratic field than it does about him.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2019, 7:32 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Harpuia wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Harpuia wrote:
Buttigieg isn't winning this way.

He wants to use his religion and "redefine Christianity". But reality is you're not going to. Take it from someone who grew up in that environment. Christianity IS hand-in-hand with the Republican party and conservative ideology in this country, and that is probably never going to change.

You're going to isolate the progressive left who despises Christianity and all things religion right now, as they see it as the symbol of Republicans, the symbol of Trump.

And if by some miracle he makes it to the general election, you have people like Bachmann, Huckabee, etc., that most of the devout religious see as "true Christians" saying Trump is a paragon of Christianity (Bachmann going so far as saying we will probably never have a more Christian president in our history) while Buttigieg is being heckled around being called the "son of Gomorrah". Who do you think wins the religious vote?

So he's not going to win like this. Unfortunately, as much as it's annoying, he's going to have to follow the progressive left and either ignore or be hostile toward the religious in order to have any hope of winning.

Actually, I consider myself to be of the progressive left, but I also fancy myself to be a Christian. I hardly consider Buttigeig as so divisive.

I have "friends" (I use that term very loosely) on the progressive left on Facebook that would never vote for Buttigieg because of his religious tendencies. He's been getting a surprising amount of votes from more centrist and conservative (they still exist?) Democrats. Unfortunately, we centrists are poison this election cycle.

You sound cool though. I like economic progressives who are willing to look at options besides Bernie Sanders and whatever AOC likes. Bernie's cool and all, but he feels very different this time around, and I can't put my finger as to why.

Me? I like Buttigieg and Yang. But the progressive left I know would never vote in a devout Christian or an Asian man. At least not right now. Yang especially prob has a better chance primarying Trump than trying to go for the DNC nom especially since some liberal media articles I've been reading have been trying to tie him and his ideas to the alt-right.

Why thank you! 8)
Maybe because I'm a Lutheran, I've been raised with certain notions: such as that there's the Kingdom of the right hand (God's realm, which is both heaven and in the hearts of believers), and the Kingdom of the left hand (the kingdom of man, or secular government, which is flawed being of man). While God rules both, they are kept separate, which in fact Madison credited to the origins of separation of church and state. And of course, Luther himself had once observed: "I'd rather be ruled over by a competent, unbelieving Turk than by an incompetent Christian."
As Buttigeig is an Episcopalian, I wouldn't be a bit surprised that he's familiar with such thinking, as the founder of his faith, Thomas Crammer, had been one of Luther's theological students. They are also a mainline denomination, as are Lutherans, thus having more sensible ideas.

I've never heard of Crammer. I always thought the Episcopal Church was founded by King Henry VIII.

It was Henry who parted with Rome, but it was Crammer who was the theological thinker behind the Anglican Communion, which includes the Episcopal faith.

Harpuia
Raven
Raven

20 Apr 2019, 7:47 pm

Shrapnel wrote:
He has gained notice, I would suggest, simply because he appears to be intelligent and reasonably articulate. The fact that he stands out because of these qualities says more about the democratic field than it does about him.

So hes getting a particular niche. But you need more than a niche to win a major primary.

He faces an uphill battle within his own party who isnt having any of that religion stuff right now. The "soul" of christianity rests squarely with the Republican Party right now. My jaw would normally drop when I hear what some pastors say if I werent raised in that environment, but some would say voting for a Democrat right now is tantamount to blaspheming the holy spirit (which means I've been sent to hell a good 5 to 10 times on that alone). How is he going to win a religious vote that follows that? A religious vote whom to the ballpark of 90% vote for Trump?

Then he's got a far less progressive stance on the issues we do know about him and right now the left want a take no prisoners kind of left winger. As it stands, we have half a dozen candidates that are playing that race to the top kind of game. The media uses how much a candidate voted against Trump as a sort of litmus test. That's gonna make it hard for him to get past around 15 percent in primaries. Enough to be top 3 but not enough to be the one.

I like him. Hes in my top 3 choices rn. But realistically unless he embraces his LGBT side more and acts more traditionally aggressive SJW left he has no chance.

Rdos: Your Aspie score: 126 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 90 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2019, 8:43 pm

Why should a candidate have to act a certain way and try and appeal to certain groups? How about just having their own policies then you vote for what you like?

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 9:05 am

Kamala Harris & Pete Buttigieg
vs
Bernie Sanders & Stacey Abrams, or bust

Harpuia
Raven
Raven

21 Apr 2019, 10:24 am

JohnPowell wrote:
Why should a candidate have to act a certain way and try and appeal to certain groups? How about just having their own policies then you vote for what you like?

I'm speaking on a macro scale. I like what his policies are but if I'm the only one voting for him hes not going to win.

Rdos: Your Aspie score: 126 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 90 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 10:37 am

I just saw a piece about him on TV and am favorably impressed. I find it ironic that he cites John F. Kennedy as an inspiration because if you know enough about Kennedy then you will know that Kennedy in fact had some big negatives which would probably deny him the nomination were he running today. The fact that he's a veteran who now wants to take the country in a new direction does resonate, no question about that.

I have this one obsession that I felt that the time had come for a woman President, for reasons I won't try to explain here (this would get me a crapload of downvotes on Reddit BTW). But none of the female candidates have me convinced. For some reason, although I like Harris, I fear she may seem like too much of a Hillary to win. I have a leftist acquaintance who absolutely loves Tulsi Gabbard but I don't see her getting much traction. I saw Stacey Abrams on TV and was impressed, but when I looked her up on Wikipedia I learned that she's heavily in debt (without an exonerating circumstance such as catastrophic illness) and I don't know if I would want somebody who would let that happen in the White House.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 12:24 pm

Harpuia wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

I'm speaking on a macro scale. I like what his policies are but if I'm the only one voting for him hes not going to win.

He has policies? I wouldn't care if I was the only one voting for someone I really liked.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"