Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 8:29 pm

Is it the effect of antipsychotics that I cant cry? Used to be able to cry at the drop of a hat when I wasnt on them. But the weird thing is I can cry when I watch sad movies. Just not when I think of something sad. Its very frustraiting.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 2:11 am

I usually only cry when I become frustrated. And even that type of crying has pretty much gone away. It would probably take a monumental personal catastrophe to make me cry now.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Apr 2019, 2:22 am

Did crying comfort you?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 12:12 pm

Oh yes it was nice to cry. Even when I become sad, overwhelmed and frustraited I cant cry. Only when I watch sad films for some reason. I dont get it.

logicpuppy
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Apr 2019, 3:59 am

It could absolutely be a side effect of the antipsychotics.

For me, some antidepressants cause me to stop crying. Also the antipsychotic aripiprazole (it's the only antipsychotic I've been on, so I can't comment on others) caused me to stop crying.

Fortunately, I was only on it for a bit due to other bad side effects, and don't have a psychotic illness, just had an unexplained psychotic episode.

Is this specific side effect bothering you a lot? If so, I'd suggest bringing it up to whoever manages your care, and try to stress how important crying is for you. They may be able to sort out a solution like lowering your dose.

Edit: Just adding that it's really important your frustration doesn't cause you to do anything drastic, like discontinuing your meds without medical supervision. This could cause very bad consequences.

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2019, 7:49 am

Sometimes I can't cry, but when I have a person to cry to I do. Or, if I burst from frustration.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Apr 2019, 11:42 am

Some antipsychotics have antidepressant effects & being less depressed tends to make people cry less. I started crying a lot less after I got on psych meds & became less depressed.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition