Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 9:33 pm

I applied just to see what would happen to a volunteer bird banding training position that lasts one month. They are interested in talking to me. Bird banding is a highly sought after skill in the ornithology field and I was exposed to it during two of my last jobs and I know what's involved but I have little experience... Though the volunteer experience would require me to spend a month in Canada... Hmm..... Oh Canada... I've never been there before lol

Yay or neh...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2019, 10:16 pm

Will they give you room and board while you’re there? At the border you will need to prove that you have that covered - either the group housing you or you having enough money to take care of yourself while there. Do you have a passport?

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 7:38 am

AnneOleson wrote:
Will they give you room and board while you’re there? At the border you will need to prove that you have that covered - either the group housing you or you having enough money to take care of yourself while there. Do you have a passport?

I do not know about room/board yet (I have to ask) and I thought if you don't have a passport you can enter with your ID and birth certificate???

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 9:17 am

At this time, you officially need a "passport card." It costs $35. You don't need a "full" passport.

Or you can use an "enhanced" driver's license.

There must be something specific to Detroit Michigan, and Windsor, Ontario.

I bet, informally, some border crossings would take the drivers license and the birth certificate.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 9:38 am

What happened with the Lansing job?

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 9:42 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
What happened with the Lansing job?

The Lansing job has been silent... I sent yet another email but I have a feeling maybe I wasn't as good of a candidate as I thought and they passed me up... The lady isn't even answering my emails (she was earlier)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 9:48 am

I would continue with the pursuit.

A volunteer position might lead you to a permanent position. And you like banding birds.

You can get an "enhanced" drivers license in Michigan for $45. You can officially use this at the Canadian border.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 5:56 pm

Well, I thought your husband could not be left alone. That makes it tough to accept a position that doesn't even pay you for your time.

On the other hand, if you're gone for a month, his care team pretty much has to make arrangements for his care.

There are facilities that provide "medical respite care" for times when the primary caregiver (i.e., you) can not be available or just needs a break. There are also visiting care services if he stays at home.

I bet you'd really enjoy this experience!

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 8:34 pm

Angnix wrote:
AnneOleson wrote:

I do not know about room/board yet (I have to ask) and I thought if you don't have a passport you can enter with your ID and birth certificate???

No, nowadays you need a valid passport or passport card. You’ll need to have your birth certificate to get either of those. The NEXUS card or enhanced license are mostly if you are a frequent traveller and you have to go through criminal record checks first which can be time consuming and extra expense.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 8:56 pm

Ehh, Canada volunteer job emailed me back saying some people that used to volunteer for him contacted him and he accepted them back on the spot...

I did apply to what might be the perfect solution, temporary, but a pretty good paying job identifying bird songs from recordings that is a work from home anywhere job... Here's hoping, but I wonder how many people applied to that... I am familiar with all birds except one that are counted in the recording but I have plenty of recordings of that species. For that job I submitted my codes to confirm my certification on iding bird sounds.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 9:09 pm

Good luck!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 8:26 am

Identifying birds from their songs sounds like a wonderful job! I hope that one works out for you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 8:28 am

I hope you make a killing from this!

Saying this....if you can get the Enhanced Drivers License, you'll be "In like Flynn" as far as going to Canada is concerned.