Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 7:16 am

Today, April 16: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_shooting
Next week: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbine_High_School_massacre
Next month: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurston_High_School_shooting (Kip Kinkel)
August, but relevant: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

I am in Virginia, and I got up this morning thinking, hm, I feel like today was the anniversary of something...yes, it was the VA Tech shooting. They have left many of the bullet holes in the university buildings around there, I can attest, and it’s weird there this time of year. It wasn’t the only violence they’ve had by far, which is why some of us “locals” in VA aren’t too comfortable on campus. You can’t express that feeling. People get real offended.

But the one of these that I really remember is never remembered anymore. Kip Kinkel. Columbine happened when I was a young girl working in a factory (1999s) and we all said, what in the workd is going on?? This is use like that boy Kip Kinkel, that had just happened. Before that, the last notable school shooting was in 1966.

Now there are so many one can’t even make an easy list. You could forget and leave one off, as incredible as that sounds. Too bad.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 10:13 am

Sol Pais: Woman 'infatuated' with Columbine shooting prompts manhunt and Colorado school closures

Quote:
Authorities have launched a manhunt for a woman they say is armed and dangerous and who made “credible threats” against Denver-area schools days before the 20th anniversary of the Columbine school shooting that killed 13 people.

Police said Sol Pais, 18, is “infatuated” with the Columbine shooting. They said she traveled from Miami to Colorado on Monday night, and bought a pump-action shotgun and ammunition. They declined to specify the exact nature of the threats, and asked the public to call authorities if they see her.

Authorities said Pais should be considered “extremely dangerous” and should not be approached.

Police in South Florida say Pais was reported missing on Monday night by her parents.

Surfside Police Sgt. Marian Cruz confirmed that parents of 18-year-old Sol Pais last saw her on Sunday and reported her missing on Monday.

The Miami Herald and WTVJ are reporting that the teen is a senior at Miami Beach High School. The FBI was interviewing the family and neighbors on Tuesday.

She was last seen in the foothills of Jefferson County, west of Denver, authorities said.

The FBI’s Rocky Mountain Safe Streets Task Force issued a notice Tuesday that said police who come into contact with Pais should detain her and evaluate her mental health.

Sheriff’s spokesman Mike Taplin said the threats she made were general and not specific to any school.

Security concerns prompted dozens of schools to increase police presence or cancel after-school activities.

The Denver, Douglas County and Cherry Creek school districts called off Wednesday classes, activities and athletics at all schools late Tuesday night, citing "safety concerns related to a credible threat against schools in the area."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 10:49 am

Yeah, see? I just don’t even like to leave the house this time of year.

Last week I learned that my son’s PRESCHOOL is putting up barriers between their walkways and the road. Now, I am in a rural area and have target shot for most of my life. With horror, I realized that this was necessary. The school was built in the 1950s and is within scope distance of a major road.

This stuff really makes me sick. I’m serious, it used to be that everyone gathered around the radio or TV and talked to each other about these tragedies. The world stopped and we’d shake our heads in tears. Now it’s so common we’re all like, oh of course that’s happening. Back to whatever I’m doing. :(

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 1:43 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
Yeah, see? I just don’t even like to leave the house this time of year.

Last week I learned that my son’s PRESCHOOL is putting up barriers between their walkways and the road. Now, I am in a rural area and have target shot for most of my life. With horror, I realized that this was necessary. The school was built in the 1950s and is within scope distance of a major road.

This stuff really makes me sick. I’m serious, it used to be that everyone gathered around the radio or TV and talked to each other about these tragedies. The world stopped and we’d shake our heads in tears. Now it’s so common we’re all like, oh of course that’s happening. Back to whatever I’m doing. :(

The odds of being a victim of a mass shooting is very low. You are likely taking much more of a risk being driven or driving to school or work the being shot by a mass shooter in school. You are much more likely to be intentionally physically harmed by someone you know than a mass attacker. You were more likely to be a victim of violent crime in the 70s through 90s than now.

While crime has gone down mass casualty attacks have gone up. Prevalence and lethality of mass casualty attacks plus mass exposure leads to the PERCEPTION that the world is much more risky. Back then the cliche ignorance is bliss had some truth.

Unfortunately as callous as it is unless we know someone involved we have go back to what we are doing otherwise we will have a mental breakdown.

Todays schools are in a dammed if you do dammed if you don’t situation. If a school has the open campus policies I grew up with nobody would send there kids there. When I was in college I just walked in and visited my 5th grade teacher right during class time. Nobody checked me, me and everybody thought nothing of it. For true security or near zero risk you need more than barriers, you needs armed petrols on and along side the buses, all windows eliminated 1 hour wait at the entrances so everybody is rigorously checked. The check in line flanked by armed personal. Same at the end of the day for exiting the school and the drive home. Armed security in the hallways and in every class. No school can remotely afford that at even and if they could the kids would grow so damaged it would not be worth it.

Life is not zero risk. Deciding what is acceptable risk is the hardest decisions adults have to make IMHO.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

breaks0
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2019, 7:42 pm

I remember Virginia Tech like it was yesterday! God how time flies. And I was walking past a church downtown last week and I saw a sign for the 20th anniversary of Columbine. I used to be very anti-2nd Ammendment, but I no longer am since I think we live in a white nationalist society now where if you're a POC, woman, Queer or even alot of other populations (possibly including the disabled like Aspies) that you at least have every right to protect yourself and if a firearm is needed to do that, then you have the right to make that choice. I do think background checks should always be mandatory in preventing sociopaths like (fellow aspies) Elliot Rodger and Adam Lanza from ever having such a weapon. Alot of people's lives in those two massacres would've been saved if they hadn't had access to a gun.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 8:47 pm

Holy hell and yet many people (supporters of stricter gun control laws and those who oppose) still believe mass bloodshed in the US is okay?!

What is the US coming to?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 10:02 pm

breaks0 wrote:
I remember Virginia Tech like it was yesterday! God how time flies. And I was walking past a church downtown last week and I saw a sign for the 20th anniversary of Columbine. I used to be very anti-2nd Ammendment, but I no longer am since I think we live in a white nationalist society now where if you're a POC, woman, Queer or even alot of other populations (possibly including the disabled like Aspies) that you at least have every right to protect yourself and if a firearm is needed to do that, then you have the right to make that choice. I do think background checks should always be mandatory in preventing sociopaths like (fellow aspies) Elliot Rodger and Adam Lanza from ever having such a weapon. Alot of people's lives in those two massacres would've been saved if they hadn't had access to a gun.

Wait so you’re glad aspies can have guns to defend themselves but also think background checks should prevent aspies from owning guns?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 12:40 am

breaks0 wrote:

Off topic: While it is very well documented that Adam Lanza was diagnosed with Aspergers the idea the Eliot Rodger was or was not Autistic is questionable.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillingham/2014/05/30/elliot-rodger-didnt-have-autism-he-had-anger/#36539b974b91
Quote:
Just after the shootings, the family's attorney made a statement claiming that Rodger had a diagnosis of Asperger's. However, he a media advisor providing an "account on behalf of the family in an interview with the Los Angeles Times" backtracked on that a day later, saying instead that Rodger "had not been diagnosed with Asperger's." Complicating matters more, just days later, CNN quoted his mother as stating in a divorce proceeding that took place when Rodgers was a child that he had been diagnosed with Aspergers.

Very little about what Rodger wrote and did suggests an autism spectrum disorder, including the fact that he had apparently remarkable executive function and social dissembling skills, which he demonstrated in deceiving the deputies dispatched to his apartment in one of the key turning points of this tragedy. While not all autistic people are the same, executive function and an ability to dissemble are more typically areas of deficit--if an inability to dissemble can be considered a deficit, which in many social situations, it probably is.

I did read his manifesto and I do not believe he was on the spectrum. There were times in his life he made friends but over time he increasingly did not want to. He wrote candidly about his therapists but never once mentioned Aspergers.

On Topic: The fact that a number of recent mass killers have been reported as being diagnosed and others have been speculated about raises the possibility of Autism becoming a disqualifying “mental health” condition for gun ownership and Autistics being looked at first as suspects when a mass killings occur.