Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2019, 2:01 pm

Does anyone just write as a personal hobby? I write stories for fun and have asked my mom to read them and she refuses. I have some themes of sex, demons, cuss words and she doesn’t read it because I’m her daughter. She watches Penny Dreadful which is wayyyyyyy more sexual than what I write.

Part of me wonders if it’s because I’m high functioning autistic. She says I should write an autobiography about myself instead of what I write about.

At this point I’d rather just be a hobbyist writer than have people read it.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Apr 2019, 1:54 pm

I wrote as a hobby for a long time, since I was 12. Now, I want to write books and publish them.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 4:39 pm

KikiKitty678 wrote:
I wrote as a hobby for a long time, since I was 12. Now, I want to write books and publish them.

I don't really let people read my writing because I'm concerned that people will flip out because it's not "good, wholesome, innocent Aspie Girl" fiction. These people need to understand that some girls on the spectrum want to explore topics that NT women explore with writing. I could never publish at the risk of people reading it and saying, "this is stupid crap". I went on Deviant Art which is full of other people getting their writing praised but mine never got read.

I'm working on my second novel and I think it's great. My autism shouldn't define who I am or what I write nor does it have any place in my genre.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 11:21 pm

Back in my college days, I recall the head of the Creative Writing department, and old Irish recovering alcoholic named James McCauley, once saying: "Writing just for yourself is like Masturbation. It might be fun, but it's not the real thing." It was way to encourage us to all write professionally.

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 9:33 pm

Writing is one of my favorite pastimes over the past decade or so. Some of the earliest experience I have with writing had to do with writing fanfiction and overall they've been pretty well received. One thing that really stuck with me was when I was attending a community college several years back and I was taking a class on creative writing where my teacher told us to not censor ourselves. This was so different from the days of homeschooled writing classes where it seemed like there were far more limitations placed on the type of work I was expected to do. Over the course of this weekend, I'm looking to officially launch a Kickstarter campaign in the hopes of raising money to get my debut book published. I might even share the link to the campaign in a separate forum if anyone's interested.

deegood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Apr 2019, 7:16 am

I envy people who can write good

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2019, 7:46 am

deegood wrote:

I can’t write good either. I still work hard on my writing though. I’m not writing about being a girl with high functioning autism. I don’t have to.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2019, 5:49 am

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
deegood wrote:

I can’t write good either. I still work hard on my writing though. I’m not writing about being a girl with high functioning autism. I don’t have to.

I get this too. Apparently being autistic gives us a unique perspective on the world that we should explore through

our art. This is fine at a distance, through characters, but to write an autobiography or a fiction with an autistic

main character is to lay ourselves bare only to have people point out how unrelatable, annoying, and awkward our

character/ourselves are. Err yes, they're autistic.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 12:08 pm

I write a lot, both poetry and prose.

I've only ever written a character with autism in a setting where he couldn't possibly be diagnosed though, so I'm not sure how obvious it might ever get to someone who doesn't also have it.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う