Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

GameCube
Raven
Raven

17 Apr 2019, 12:00 am

I've been looking for a new job for the past few months and I am unable to find anything suitable where I live. I'm from a relatively remote location. I have diverse work experience and I am well educated. I feel I am running out of options. I am working with an agency, but the jobs they have found me were not the right fit. I was thinking about starting my own business, but I'm not in a financial situation where I can take the risk.

I'm thinking about moving to a larger city, but I have sensory issues I am just starting to learn how to recognize and cope with them. I went to post secondary schools in cities and it was not a good experience for me. I like where I live now as I feel less sensitive to my surroundings and my anxiety has decreased since I moved. Unfortunately the jobs I have been able to find were either temporary or not the right fit for me.

I would greatly appreciate advice from anyone who has had to make a similar decision or has any insight to help me decide if moving to a larger city is right for me. I am also wondering if anyone knows any good websites to find work from home jobs as I believe that might also be a suitable alternative.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 1:00 am

Sometimes a degree is useful but not in ways you expect. I know a landscape consultant who used to be a civil engineer. The old job was all about cost cutting. She now gets to be design beautiful yards!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2019, 11:39 pm

GameCube wrote:
Unfortunately the jobs I have been able to find were either temporary or not the right fit for me.

I would not tell you to take a job that was not the right fit, but what is wrong with temporary work? I did it for many years, off and on, and generally liked it well enough. At least money is coming in and your resume doesn't have such major gaps.

You've correctly identified that the less-metropolitan atmosphere that feels more comfortable with your sensory issues is also characterized by fewer opportunities. If temp work is available there, try it - you might like it.

GameCube
Raven
Raven

18 Apr 2019, 12:37 pm

BeaArthur wrote:

I would not tell you to take a job that was not the right fit, but what is wrong with temporary work? I did it for many years, off and on, and generally liked it well enough. At least money is coming in and your resume doesn't have such major gaps.

You've correctly identified that the less-metropolitan atmosphere that feels more comfortable with your sensory issues is also characterized by fewer opportunities. If temp work is available there, try it - you might like it.

Thank you for the advice :)
I don't think temp work is bad if there are enough opportunities. Unfortunately, their have been too few temp jobs I would be suitable for and my resume has gaps in it. I would be open to more contract positions that are 1 year or more. When I moved to where I am now, I had a job that was decent, but the company went under and it has been hard for me to find stable work since then.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 12:47 pm

How about moving to another small town that offers a suitable job?

Also, you may want to analyze future living environments. Traffic may not be an issue of everything is within comfortable walking distance.

Also, the "same job" can differ widely in terms of stress to folks on the spectrum. The company culture can be more important than the job title.

GameCube
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2019, 2:51 pm

I'm looking into moving as an option right now. I definitely agree that is a great option and I also agree the culture is just as important than the job itself.

I'm also growing more interested in home-based jobs opportunities and I am having a hard time finding any websites that cater to this besides Jobspresso.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2019, 4:17 pm

Unless you want to run your own business it I think it is too hard for an Aspie to work at home. Too many scams and such. I think a lot of legit companies want you to work for them on site first, then they will consider work at home options.