Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 4:02 pm

Is Supported Decision Making (LINK) helpful concerning HFA?

LINK: https://health.ucdavis.edu/mindinstitut ... d/sdm.html

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2019, 1:06 pm

I am more inclined to think conservatorship is harmful than helpful, based on what people have posted here. Using the other support options mentioned in the article is a better course in many cases. I do not believe that most autistic people need conservatorship, but they do need a lot of adult living skills. If parents can maintain a friendly relationship with their adult with HFA, they can help a lot in achieving the best possible life for their offspring.

plateshutoverlock
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 May 2019, 12:22 am

BeaArthur wrote:
I am more inclined to think conservatorship is harmful than helpful, based on what people have posted here. Using the other support options mentioned in the article is a better course in many cases. I do not believe that most autistic people need conservatorship, but they do need a lot of adult living skills. If parents can maintain a friendly relationship with their adult with HFA, they can help a lot in achieving the best possible life for their offspring.

I've actually given this some thought for myself, but at the moment, I'd end up with a PG (Public Guardian)
If the schools, prisons, and foster care system are any indication, the state is VERY BAD at 'parenting'.