Susan Boyle feels ‘judged and misunderstood’ on Aspergers

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2019, 11:53 pm

Susan Boyle still feels ‘judged and misunderstood’ over Asperger’s diagnosis 10 years after Britain’s Got Talent audition

Quote:
Overnight, Susan became the most talked about star on the planet after Ashton Kutcher tweeted a clip of her audition to millions little more than a decade ago. Since then the Glaswegian-born diva’s life has become somewhat of a bumpy miracle. She’s sold 25 million albums, is worth an estimated £12 million, but the 58-year-old has admitted she finds the smallest of things ‘overwhelming’.

‘I knew of the diagnosis for a year before I decided to go public,’ she told PEOPLE. ‘It gave me time to learn and understand and really for everything to fall into place as to why emotionally things were overwhelming and why small things, like people getting into my personal space, would cause me so much anxiety.

‘I think people who are aware of Asperger’s understand why I do things but to others who don’t I still feel I’m judged or misunderstood or spoken down to’

To mark 10 years since she performed I Dreamed A Dream to judges Simon Cowell, Amanda Holden and Piers Morgan, Susan returned to the Britain’s Got Talent stage last Saturday night, and moved millions to tears. Simon was all of us as he gave the singer a huge hug. ‘It was a very, very emotional thing for me to do,’ she told Mail on Sunday.

‘I went back to my dressing room and shed a tear or two. I don’t want anyone to think I’m a wimp, but it was just such a special moment for me. ‘A lot has happened to me since the first time I got on the stage and despite everything I have done since, I was still so nervous

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman