Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

betty_ferret
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2019, 6:35 am

I know, I know, I'm such a negative Nancy! But does anyone out there who is female think that the fake nail trend is bothersome? I don't like it very much when my fingernails grow any more than a couple millimeters before I clip 'em. I don't like how girls would do this to themselves. Everyday at work, there's another girl who's asking me or someone else to do "open this" or "tape that" because they are unable to use their hands. Is this a tactic for female NTs to try to attract the opposite sex by making themselves more needy by being unable to use their hands? I don't get this trend at all, and I find it extremely disturbing! It actually makes me mad that I'm considered "stupid" when girls at work with more charisma than I have disadvantaged themselves so greatly by taking away one of God's greatest gift to them - their hands!! ! (No offense to those of you who have no hands, and in which case, how on earth are you on a forum...?)
Females are good with details and braiding and getting into little things. Why take this advantage away?
I understand I am stereotyping here. I hope this doesn't offend anyone. And if it does then I apologize.

Obscurelex
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2019, 11:33 am

Oh, I hate fake nails! I've really tried to like them and try them out, but I take them off within a week. They just feel so weird on my fingers, and I completely agree with you that they are taking away a very useful part of their body- their hands. I can barely get anything done with fake nails on, especially at a job where I'm using my hands all of the time. I just don't get it, but to each their own I guess.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 11:40 am

They don’t float my boat, either.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 11:56 am

I was talking about this with Mrs Trueno earlier today. Long nails are a sign that you are too rich and too important to do manual work. Chinese Mandarins used to have very long nails to signal their importance. Roman togas performed the same function... you can't dig a hole in the road if you're wearing a toga. Other posh fashions through the ages have been similar.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 12:15 pm

I so agree with you, betty_ferret. I not only will not wear fake nails, but I can't stand to have my natural nails very long at all, either.

All the same, this thread has nothing obvious to do with autism, and maybe should have gone into Random Discussion or possibly Women's Issues.

Purpledragon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2019, 2:18 pm

I don't understand the point of fake nails. I can't stand having my nails grow longer than a couple of milimeters before I have to clip them, it feels like a sensory issue for me, it freaks me out.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 2:20 pm

I tried them once as a kid but had to take them off soon after because nail chewing was a stim and these fake nails didn't provide the same consistency as real nails.

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2019, 3:42 pm

Yes, if I get my nails done I refuse to get fake nails. I only do simple polish.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2019, 3:24 am

Guy here and I hate them too. I don't mind long nails in general, but yeah, we can tell the difference :P

Trueno wrote:
I was talking about this with Mrs Trueno earlier today. Long nails are a sign that you are too rich and too important to do manual work.

My wife grows nails made of steel or something, they never break and she's using her hands a lot. They aren't crazy long or anything though.

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2019, 12:31 pm

I don't find them attractive either. Painted fingernails don't interest me either. When I see people fiddle this much with their fingernails, I tend to assume that they have way too much time on their hands (!).

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2019, 9:27 am

I don't wear fake nails, but I can't stand clipping my nails.
So mine get long sometimes, but not that long because I have really fragile thin nails and it sucks.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

ToWhomItMayConcern
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Apr 2019, 5:56 pm

I dont like them either. I tried letting my own nails grow long it was so annoying I just.bit them off. I have barely any nails that's how I like it.

The girls at work are always complimenting each other and customers fake nails with pink and glitter on them. Too much for me no thanks

Another thing I dont like is those dog fliters people especially females seem to love.

steffizinc
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Nov 2022, 9:24 am

I like girls who do their nails.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 12:59 pm

i grow my nails and file them down when they get too long and i paint them a lot

im very much into beauty but i dont like false nails or false eyelashes

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2022, 4:01 am

Fake nails are gross. I would never have them. They look scary on everyone and I don't understand how anyone can use their hands with that on them. The patterns and glittery designs are nice. It's the length that looks 8O

I do french manicures (mostly DIY) on my natural nails and keep the length short, but long enough to paint the tips.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2022, 5:31 am

I've always kept long nails. Not too freaky, about 1/4" long in the "almond" shape. It's not a beauty thing and I never paint them. I just like having a bit of sharp pointy extra length on my fingertips. :D Plus they're very strong and work as multi-tools. I actually don't know how people who clipped it all off manage. I think fake nails are not as useful because people aren't used to them. Fake nails are pretty strong, too and I do think they can be used as tools if people aren't worried about scratching the nail art. :D