People thinking your music taste is punk when it’s not

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2019, 7:35 am

Fall Out Boy is not punk. Panic! At the Disco is not punk. Green Day is not punk.

Any other fans of music that seems punk but really isn’t, like punk-pop? I love punk-pop, and that’s an understatement, but actual punk is not my taste.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 11:55 am

There are many offshoots of punk. Pop Punk is punk. I am not sure two of the ones you listed are pop punk anymore or were. Green Day at times has veered into punk territory. Just because you don't like one type of punk doesn't mean you don't like punk. There's folk punk, there's punk with Celtic influence like The Dropkick Murphy's. There's Rancid and The Bouncing Souls. Because a band adds a little melody to their punk doesn't make them less punk. Not how it works.

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2019, 1:04 pm

thewrll wrote:
There are many offshoots of punk. Pop Punk is punk. I am not sure two of the ones you listed are pop punk anymore or were. Green Day at times has veered into punk territory. Just because you don't like one type of punk doesn't mean you don't like punk. There's folk punk, there's punk with Celtic influence like The Dropkick Murphy's. There's Rancid and The Bouncing Souls. Because a band adds a little melody to their punk doesn't make them less punk. Not how it works.

Ok thanks!

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 4:49 pm

KikiKitty678 wrote:
Fall Out Boy is not punk. Panic! At the Disco is not punk. Green Day is not punk.

Any other fans of music that seems punk but really isn’t, like punk-pop? I love punk-pop, and that’s an understatement, but actual punk is not my taste.

I still consider pop-punk bands like Green Day, Billy Talent, and The Offspring to be punk. They're pop too, but they're still punk.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2019, 11:54 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
KikiKitty678 wrote:

I still consider pop-punk bands like Green Day, Billy Talent, and The Offspring to be punk. They're pop too, but they're still punk.

Yep, I am not sure about Fall Out Boy or Panic.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Apr 2019, 6:16 pm

I think Fall Out Boy & Panic At The Disco are more EMO than punk. Green Day is pop punk but they used to be more punk than they are nowadays. BTW I really like EMO, pop punk & lots of other types of punk

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition