Trump Again Defending His Comments About Charlottesville

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 5:27 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/26/politics/charlottesville-donald-trump-joe-biden-robert-e-lee/index.html

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 6:14 pm

His comments were specifically about those who attended the protest that day to defend Robert E Lee's statue and we all know he was referring to the young men carrying tikki torches shouting "white power" (not about faceless supporters of General Robert E Lee as he now claims)

Let's revisit his exact comments:

REPORTER asked: The neo-Nazis started this thing. They showed up in Charlottesville.

TRUMP replied: Excuse me, they didn’t put themselves down as neo-Nazis, and you had some very bad people in that group. But you also had people that were very fine people on both sides. You had people in that group – excuse me, excuse me. I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down, of to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name.

In a court of law that's open and shut...he was trying to imply that among those carrying tikki torches there were "fine people" and he now claims he checked with his generals who claim RObert E Lee was a great general....it's an interesting way of passing the buck given many of those who volunteered to carry torches that day were serving in the military

BlueIris24
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2019, 6:19 pm

If this article's from CNN, I'm not clicking.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 6:27 pm

Why is the source of the news a problem when even Fox news is saying exactly the same thing?
https://fox28spokane.com/trump-defends- ... -violence/

BlueIris24
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2019, 7:17 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Why is the source of the news a problem when even Fox news is saying exactly the same thing?
https://fox28spokane.com/trump-defends- ... -violence/

CNN's known to blatantly lie and twist things, generally speaking. I wasn't referring to this specific issue.

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Apr 2019, 10:11 pm

CNN is definitely selling a lifestyle, but they don't lie. Same as Fox.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 11:51 pm

Dan82 wrote:
CNN is definitely selling a lifestyle, but they don't lie. Same as Fox.

They lie all the time. Anything besides factual truths is a lie

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 12:02 am

and Fox news don't?

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2019, 11:54 am

CNN and Fox are both liars. They both have agendas to sell.

I don't watch either one.

I do find it funny that people are offended at Trump saying Lee was a great general. Lee's adversaries at the time thought the same. President Lincoln certainly thought so when he offered Lee command of the US Army. Lee refused, of course, choosing his home state of Virginia.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 2:03 pm

If only everybody else took the attitude of reconciliation that the actual people who tried to kill at each other took we would be in a much better place.

1913 50th Anniversary of Battle of Gettysburg reunion

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BlueIris24
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2019, 2:37 pm

cyberdad wrote:
and Fox news don't?

I'm sure Fox News is guilty of twisting facts to fit their agendas, but I don't think Fox News is as bad as CNN.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 2:47 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
If only everybody else took the attitude of reconciliation that the actual people who tried to kill at each other took we would be in a much better place.

1913 50th Anniversary of Battle of Gettysburg reunion

Same thing happen after ww2. Mean if a guy can be friends with a German who manned a machine gun on Normandy and killed many of his friends and fellow soldiers then why can’t we all get along today?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 7:07 pm

This seems to be how it was viewed back in the 80's.

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Apr 2019, 11:24 pm

BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:
CNN and Fox are both liars. They both have agendas to sell.

I don't watch either one.

I do find it funny that people are offended at Trump saying Lee was a great general. Lee's adversaries at the time thought the same. President Lincoln certainly thought so when he offered Lee command of the US Army. Lee refused, of course, choosing his home state of Virginia.

I like generals that don't lose.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 12:36 am

Trump still denies that he supported the white nationalists at Charlottesville.

My response
I don't usually follow politics because of the divides it creates among people, but when it comes to that, I think of this:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 3:14 am

BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:

Yes and the Americans offered Nazi Werner Von Braun and other ex Nazis jobs in their early aerospace program. All of the Germans recruited were members of the Nazi party. His weapons were responsible for the deaths of thousands of Brits during the London bombings. Despite his brilliant mind he was an evil bastard who volunteered to join the SS during WWII.
https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opini ... 74374.html

Ernst Rommel another Nazi was acknowledged to be a brilliant tacticians in military history. He also caused the deaths of thousands of allied troops and was a member of the Nazi party.

The Germans took the mature decision not to build memorials to Von Braun or other Nazis like Rommel.

General Lee was a slaver, he was rebelling against the United States government to keep slavery which technically makes him a traitor and a criminal. During the civil war he actively hunted escaped slaves trying to reach the north and re-captured them taking them back to slavery. His cruelty to slaves was notorious.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ee/529038/
Building monuments to him and praising him is the sign of a sociopathic mind....