Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Sarcastic_Name
Fumigated With Boredom
Fumigated With Boredom

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2005
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,594

27 Jun 2005, 9:49 pm

OK, here's my problem.

I reformatted my computer and reinstalled WIN98SE. I tryed connecting to the internet, it didn't work. I use Bellsouth DSL and a 2Wire Modem connected via USB. The install CD never detects the USB, so I usually install the driver manually. Well, Windows keeps saying that there's no drives on the CD and deems my modem "Unknown USB", or something like that.

So, I figured I'd try to install Linux on my other drive (D). Maybe I can get internet to work on that and go from there. Well, I didn't burn my CD correctly before I formatted my computer. And so now I have no program for using my burner, WIN98SE has no drives or burning programs. My other computer has a floppy drive, so I've been trying to find floppys for installing Linux. 2 problems with that idea. One, I don't know if my D drive is partioned (correctly). I went into DOS and used "fdisk", and it called my two partions on C drive as "Primary DOS Drive" and "Extended" DOS drive. My D drive is recognized as "Logical DOS Drive". Now, when I set active drive (right terminology?), I can only choose the two partions on C drive, and D drive isn't shown as an option.

My other Linux problem is probably related to the first. My first test run was using a single set Fedora floppy boot disk. It started by running LILO dual booter, good so far. Then, an error. "Error 4x04" or "Error 04x4" and then it started loading again. My next attempt was with a 6 set of Debian installation disks. It started loaded and then "finished" loading. Here's the message it gave me:

Quote:
Loading linux.bin.............................................ready
.
After the word "ready" came up, the blinking line went down a bar and just kept blinking, which left me wondering...was it still loading?

I hope someone can help me. Without my good computer, I'll probably stop surfing the internet (including here) due to the insanely slow connection this (my other) computer has.


_________________
Hello.


Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2005
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,268
Location: Frå Nord Dakota til Vermont

28 Jun 2005, 6:01 pm

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
OK, here's my problem.

I reformatted my computer and reinstalled WIN98SE. I tryed connecting to the internet, it didn't work. I use Bellsouth DSL and a 2Wire Modem connected via USB. The install CD never detects the USB, so I usually install the driver manually. Well, Windows keeps saying that there's no drives on the CD and deems my modem "Unknown USB", or something like that.


Is the 2Wire modem plugged into the computer when you run the Install Wiz CD from BellSouth? If it is, Windows has installed it's own Driver for the modem. Current BellSouth DSL Routers ( Westell & 2Wire ) use Proprietary Firmware, and therefore need BellSouth Specific Drivers. Unplug the cable, uninstall the Driver (either with the provided Utility or manually) Shut down th computer with the USB cable UNPLUGGED, and the Bellsouth InstallWiz CD in the CD Drive. When the Computer is shut down, PLUG the USB cable to th emodem back up to the computer, and start the computer. Usually, this willl install the Drivers from the CD. If this doesn't work, you may need to go into the device manager and update the driver manually. Have a piece of paper (Or Windows NotePad) handy to write down the driver path on the InstallWiz CD. after you have traced down the path to the driver,,either enter the path manually after selecting "Update Driver, or Copy and paste the path to the correct driver. --This *SHOULD* work.
Using USB cables with Bellsouth gear is a major pain in the ass, as you have just found out. Ethernet connections are much easier to work with. If you can dredge up a network card somewhere DO SO!!--You're really gonna need it if you want to connect with Linux.

If you need to call Bellsouth tech support for further help, bear this in Mind. Bellsouth Subcontracts their Internet support to several third party companies:

One call center is out of Shreveport,LA
Another is out of Ft. Lauderdale, FLA
Calltech has Three call centers:
Ft Meyers, FLA
Albany, GA
Columbia, SC
Wipro is based in INDONESIA
Satyam and ClientLogic are out of INDIA

It's best to call BellSouth Tech Support after 3PM and before 12AM in order to get somebody that speaks English Natively, Trust me on this.

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
So, I figured I'd try to install Linux on my other drive (D). Maybe I can get internet to work on that and go from there. Well, I didn't burn my CD correctly before I formatted my computer. And so now I have no program for using my burner, WIN98SE has no drives or burning programs. My other computer has a floppy drive, so I've been trying to find floppys for installing Linux. 2 problems with that idea. One, I don't know if my D drive is partioned (correctly). I went into DOS and used "fdisk", and it called my two partions on C drive as "Primary DOS Drive" and "Extended" DOS drive. My D drive is recognized as "Logical DOS Drive". Now, when I set active drive (right terminology?), I can only choose the two partions on C drive, and D drive isn't shown as an option.


From talking with you briefly about this , I am under the impression that you have two Hard drives running in a master/slave configuration. I would STRONLGY suggest that if you are planning on running linux that you trim down the installed base for windows to a minimum,( IE no WindowBlindz, Kool Skinz, or any of that crap) gather up any stray documents, files, mp3's etc, and put them all in your "My Documents" folder, and then move that folder to the slave drive. Keep all programs on the Master HDD. Keep the FS on the Slave drive FAT32, and use it as storage for both Windows and Linux. Running FDisk is a really risky proposition if you don't know EXACTLY what you're doing, I suggest that you avoid FDISK like the Plague. Oh yeah, Do a Defrag, and clean up Temp files before you attempt to install Linux.
Oh yeah,Have a Formatted, EMPTY 3.5 Floppy on hand, You're gonna need it.

I seem to recall you saying that you had a CD Burner, but no Burning Software for it. You can find an older version of Nero (You gotta pay for the new one) here:
http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=nero

If your Downloading Linux from the internet, it almost always comes from in the form of an ISO Image. after you download the ISO files, you need CD burning Software that can convert the ISO Image to a bootable Image, See the above link for this. (Keep the ISO files in 'My Documents" on your slave HDD. for future referance in case you need to reburn them)

After you burn the Images to CD, boot the computer up with the first disk, and you should be in the Linux Install Sequence. If you have two hard disks, you'll be given the option to select the disk you want to install on, ALWAYS use the master Drive ( IE, the one that has Windows on it) SuSE, some of the later versions of RedHat, and Fedora, and perhaps some other Distro's allow you to resize a Windows Partition with the Linux install. Do this, but bear in mind, To get all of apps, Desktop environments, ETC you're going to need some space. Count on at least a couple of Gigs for a decent working Linux workstation. At some point during the install, Linux will ask you if you want to make a boot disk. Insert the Floppy in, and create it. This way Windows will boot up. but if you want to use linux, just stick the Floppy in the computer and boot from the floppy to access Linux, This is a down and dirty way to dual boot, without having to config your bootloader or spend cash on a multiple boot Utility.

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
My other Linux problem is probably related to the first. My first test run was using a single set Fedora floppy boot disk. It started by running LILO dual booter, good so far. Then, an error. "Error 4x04" or "Error 04x4" and then it started loading again. My next attempt was with a 6 set of Debian installation disks. It started loaded and then "finished" loading. Here's the message it gave me:
Quote:
Loading linux.bin.............................................ready
.
After the word "ready" came up, the blinking line went down a bar and just kept blinking, which left me wondering...was it still loading?


Follow the above directions, and you won't have this problem :)
Boot the Linux Disks from the CD. Also, since you are new to Linux, Avoid DEBIAN ans SLACKWARE, they are Evil to new Linux users. Also, remember how you said that you were connecting your computer via USB to your Router??? well here's some bad new for you. Linux and USB connections involving Cable/DSL modem/routers are a match made in hell. --Seriously, Finding Linux USB Drivers for these is still very much of a losing proposition. Last I heard Some guy in the UK got his Linux box to work with a BT Internet DSL modem, but that's the exception, rather than the rule......yet. Go with Ethernet, it's much easier.