I want a cat but my boyfriend is allergic to cats

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 2:08 pm

Since I was born I've always had a cat in the house. My family cat (at my parents house) is very old now and my mum says that she won't get any more because pets cost too much money (the vet bills are diabolical). So I won't even get to enjoy a cat when I go to visit my parents. I would love a cat of my own, but my boyfriend is allergic to cats, unfortunately. And it's not just a case of sneezing, he gets itchy lumps on his skin if a bit of cat hair touches him, and if he even breaks out in coughing fits, and describes it as "very itchy lungs", and it can make it difficult for him to breathe properly during these allergic reactions.
So I don't think it would be fair to get a cat if my boyfriend has a severe intolerance. It's a shame though. Even if I suggested things like a humidifier or allergy meds, I think he'd still forbid it. It's such a shame though, because I really do miss having a cat. :cry:

I'm not really into dogs but we couldn't get one anyway because the landlords have a strict policy about dogs living in the apartments.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 2:22 pm

There are cat breeds that are hypoallergenic.

https://www.homeoanimal.com/blogs/blog- ... cat-breeds

Of course, getting one of those ain't cheap.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2019, 10:05 am

Could he handle a Sphynx?

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Apr 2019, 9:49 pm

Could you get a pet or two that is not a dog or cat like rodents, reptiles, birds, &/or fish :?:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2019, 10:32 pm

How about a bunny.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2019, 10:50 pm

Typically when one is allergic to cats it's not the hair but a certain allergen they have in their saliva, tears, urine and dander. Because cats groom a lot that gets the saliva on the hair.

Male cats tend to have more than females and intact males more than neutered males.

There are "hypoallergenic cats" you can find in the link Vegetable Man posted. Those breeds tend to have very low levels of the allergen. The consensus tends to be that the Siberian Cat is the best suited for those with allergies.

It would be best to test it out before purchasing one of these cats or to find a breeder that would allow a trial period.

Of course some extra insurances like getting rid of carpets, getting air filters with hpa filters would be helpful.

But this might not be a option for you; which is sad. I don't know what I would do without a kitty in my home. I don't suppose the cat cafe trend has reached the area you live in. You could always go pet cats a shelter too. You'd just have to clean up real good and change after going to such places before being around your guy.