The anti-vaxxer movement perpetuates a phobia of autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2019, 11:26 pm

https://www.bupipedream.com/opinions/106579/the-anti-vaxxer-movement-perpetuates-a-phobia-of-autism/

Quote:
One of the most popular reasons behind anti-vaccination, its relationship to autism, is influenced by a societal autism phobia and the belief that the disorder is worse than a death-inducing pandemic.

Recently, the revival of vaccine-preventable diseases in the United States has mounted to proportions that haven’t been seen in more than a decade.

Fueled by safety concerns, political and religious beliefs and a substantial amount of misinformation, anti-vaxxers cite a wide range of reasons motivating their decisions not to vaccinate themselves or their children. Arguably the most popular of these is the belief in the connection between vaccination and autism.

As support for the connection between autism and vaccinations retains its societal foothold despite evidence otherwise, it’s clear that the deeper reasoning behind such a stance is simply inscrutable autism phobia. Condemning immunization due to the belief that it’ll completely alter someone’s DNA such that it results in autism is a baffling enough thought on its own. Yet underlining their vaccine condemnation is the condemnation of autism itself. It paints autism as some devastating curse to individuals and society, as the most serious trauma a parent could ever endure. On top of all the stereotypes already associated with autism, now people with autism must also bear the categorization of “vaccine-injured.” All of the resources that went toward investigating whether or not vaccines cause autism took away from the otherwise important direction of research figuring out ways to improve the lives of autistic people and their families. This dehumanizing discourse stands as an obstacle to a powerful embracement of neurodiversity, as well as human diversity in general. It takes the rightful position of autistic people from center stage of the conversation and places them on the back burner in a marginalized position. It further reveals the backward viewpoint that the actuality of a person with autism is worse than a potentially fatal, yet completely preventable, pandemic.

BAP_Buddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2019, 4:42 am

Well said.

warrier120
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2019, 9:27 am

That also explains why anti-vaxxers often want to find a cure for autism. I'm guessing that anti-vaxxers tend to think that autism is crippling and that they would rather essentially kill their children then have their children live as cripples. They think it's euthanasia with a good purpose, but it's actually eugenics with a hateful purpose.

IMHO, autism is certainly better than death. Saying otherwise is potentially hateful and implies that autistic people are better off dead than autistic.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 93 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 125 of 200
You seem to have both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. — Maya Angelou

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2019, 9:55 am

warrier120 wrote:
... I'm guessing that anti-vaxxers tend to think that autism is crippling and that they would rather essentially kill their children then have their children live as cripples. They think it's euthanasia with a good purpose, but it's actually eugenics with a hateful purpose...

That's because to them we are all ...

... anti-social
... autistic by choice
... emotionless
... gifted / savant
... in need of care for our entire lives
... intellectually impaired
... prone to violence
... sociopathic monsters
... unable to adapt or adjust
... unable to communicate
... uncaring and selfish
... victims of an autism epidemic
... worthless as human beings

None of which is true.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2019, 10:38 am

US measles cases reach 25 year high .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48095761

http://mcpin.org/
https://www.mqmentalhealth.org/

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 133 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2019, 10:57 am

Fnord wrote:
warrier120 wrote:
... I'm guessing that anti-vaxxers tend to think that autism is crippling and that they would rather essentially kill their children then have their children live as cripples. They think it's euthanasia with a good purpose, but it's actually eugenics with a hateful purpose...

... anti-social
... autistic by choice
... emotionless
... gifted / savant
... prone to violence
... sociopathic monsters
... uncaring and selfish

None of which is true.

I would disagree with gifted/savant and autistic by choice.
They think we are retards with no hope for the future except for maybe desperation measures such as bleach enemas, chelation and so on.
They think it was not our choice, that we are "vaccine injured".

warrier120
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2019, 11:56 am

Fnord wrote:

... anti-social
... autistic by choice
... emotionless
... gifted / savant
... prone to violence
... sociopathic monsters
... uncaring and selfish

None of which is true.

Ah, good old stereotypes. Reminds me of why I don't usually disclose unless I really trust who I'm disclosing to.

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. — Maya Angelou

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2019, 12:13 pm

I agree with this article.

One trouble is that a lot of us autistic people are pedantic about being right and accurate and not messing around with stupid hypotheticals. So I get a lot of arguments against this like 'but it isn't true in the first place'. But my argument always is -

Even if vaccines caused autism, they'd still be better than not vaccinating as autism is better than measles.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 12:38 pm

i can't wait until that movement is over. I think it's vapid.

Zakatar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2019, 3:47 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
i can't wait until that movement is over. I think it's vapid.

I think we can all agree with that! Hearing about this antivax stuff makes my blood boil, and makes me feel sorry for the children who are being raised by these people...

warrier120
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 May 2019, 9:01 am

Not sure why an anti-vaxxer would rather have their child die of polio, which can paralyze you, but I just decided to post this meme to make a point that their beliefs are ridiculous.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 9:58 am

What about the side effects on the public's perception of science?

"Publicizing ridiculous independent, unpublished scientific hypotheses at the same level as academically-scrutinized published scientific papers confuses the lay audience into thinking that all scientific research is similarly incompetent. In the Information Age, wherein everyone has the same ability to throw something online, not discriminating between "this is something some loonie put online" and "this is a well-researched study reviewed by independent authorities”" leads to all kinds of pseudoscientific nonsense, some of which just plain kills people."

Source: This Artiofab Article (last paragraph).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2019, 3:19 am