Social communication challenges of aging autistics

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 2:40 pm

The Asperger Autism NEtwork (AANE) addresses concerns for aging (HFA) adults. From being on AANE's mailing list, I received info. on a conference devoted to concerns/resources for HFA adults 55 and older. www.aane.org

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 8:16 pm

I'm 51. I now realize my sharp decline in ability to make phone calls may be related to how I'm aging as an Autistic. I also have been experiencing difficulty masking, although I've gotten quite far in my ability to socialize more naturally for real over the years. I have the great fortune of being surrounded by good friends these days, as well as a fantastic girlfriend (together 19 years this August). I truly believe we've helped each other socially so that we could both have more, and better, friendships with others together than either of us was capable of alone.

I have to wonder if my declining ability to maintain camouflage was a driving force behind my eventual inability to keep claiming I was a woman. One day I just couldn't do it anymore. A few months late, I began my transition. Three years into it, and post- top surgery, I have to say trying to age without being able to transition would've been a lot harder. There's only so much I could cover about myself to begin with.

Reading this thread was kind of heartbreaking. I saw so much that was familiar to me in it. But I'm glad to have read it. Thanks to everyone who's been posting. I'm finding it really helpful to learn more about what's happening and to know I'm not alone.

Loitering is encouraged at The Wayshelter: http://wayshelter.com

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jul 2019, 4:26 pm

Middle age has caused a decrease in my ability to worry about what others might think of me. This has made me more confident in social situations than I used to be, but also more apt to let my eccentricities show.