Autistic author hopes book will raise awareness about autism

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 1:50 am

https://fox2now.com/2019/05/01/autistic-author-hopes-book-will-raise-awareness-about-autism/

Quote:
A young author is using writing to help him cope with autism. Fourteen-year-old Jordan Keller has already published his own book, and he is now working on his second one.

Jordan Keller was just 11-years-old when he published his first book, "Jumbled Pieces." He said the book describes the thoughts in his head.

"There's other children that have Autism that can't speak, they can't tell their parents if they've been bullied or not," said Jordan.

Jordan wants other kids with autism to know they are not alone, so he put his thoughts on paper.

Jordan's mom, Bekah Keller, said it is the doctors and nurses at Mercy who helped Jordan the most, especially Dr. Anderson who's featured in Jordan's book.

"There's a picture of Jordan and me where it says, '"Dr. Anderson, my favorite doctor."' I was blown away, it was incredible. I couldn't believe he had accomplished that," said Dr. Anderson.

Jordan is donating a certain percentage of his book money to buy toys for kids at the Mercy Cancer Center. He also plans to donate money to Africa for autism awareness.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 10:45 pm

I'm thinking of getting myself a copy.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2019, 12:36 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
https://fox2now.com/2019/05/01/autistic-author-hopes-book-will-raise-awareness-about-autism/
Quote:
A young author is using writing to help him cope with autism. Fourteen-year-old Jordan Keller has already published his own book, and he is now working on his second one.

Jordan Keller was just 11-years-old when he published his first book, "Jumbled Pieces." He said the book describes the thoughts in his head.

"There's other children that have Autism that can't speak, they can't tell their parents if they've been bullied or not," said Jordan.

Jordan wants other kids with autism to know they are not alone, so he put his thoughts on paper.

Jordan's mom, Bekah Keller, said it is the doctors and nurses at Mercy who helped Jordan the most, especially Dr. Anderson who's featured in Jordan's book.

"There's a picture of Jordan and me where it says, '"Dr. Anderson, my favorite doctor."' I was blown away, it was incredible. I couldn't believe he had accomplished that," said Dr. Anderson.

Jordan is donating a certain percentage of his book money to buy toys for kids at the Mercy Cancer Center. He also plans to donate money to Africa for autism awareness.

Awareness already exists. People are already aware of it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 2:57 am

Autism awareness in Africa...

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jun 2019, 8:43 am

Where is your awareness of DESTROYED CHILD AUTHORS ? After my 16 years of raising awareness of that in the scene. Including my chapter 21 of British multi-writer compilation book Bittersweet on the Autism Spectrum, 2017, and including in the Scottish parlt.

autisticgroupsfairnesswatch.wordpress.com/tag/child-authors/

I have done it all to have folks remember and acknowledge the existence of wronged child authors, as serious abuse victims, and our entitlement to the same recognition as the ones who were allowed to make it, every time those get talked about. I have not done it to have folks give us a moment's recognition then forget about us, so that other folks have still never heard of us when they start threads like this. So that the abuse itself is followed by spending the rest of our lives explaining it from scratch.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 8:49 am

tern wrote:
Where is your awareness of DESTROYED CHILD AUTHORS? ...
Is this a rant against your efforts being forgotten?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 8:52 am

I'm aware of some guy named Thomas Chatterton who might fit that description.

He was able to write, well, in archaic English when he was a teenager. He was self-taught.

Arthur Rimbaud was a little older when he stopped writing and became sort of a profligate type. Maybe because he was stymied by a society "not ready" for him?

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jun 2019, 8:57 am

Fnord wrote:

No need to personalise it. Against the whole topic getting forgotten instead of passed on whenever child authors are spoken of. So that there can still be folks who don't know the issue exists, and in all innocence of causing pain write about the kids who did get their chances.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 9:10 am

Arctic Terns are the birds who migrate the most distance.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 9:37 am

tern wrote:
Fnord wrote:
... Against the whole topic getting forgotten ...
The topic of autism, the topic of child authors, or the topic of child authors writing about autism?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jun 2019, 9:52 am

Of child authors: but as an autism-related topic because we seem to have a high rate of being them, as serious-minded kids, resulting in reactions to books like this happening every couple of years.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2019, 9:57 am

Ahh... now I get it. Thanks!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 1:38 am

tern wrote:

On the blog linked above, I don't see much information about the actual topic of wronged child authors. Instead the emphasis is on bashing various organizations that have refused to take up the issue. Do you have another blog that focuses on documenting the issue itself?

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jun 2019, 2:37 am

How would I document it in a standalone blog, then?

The case only takes a couple of lines to make, as I have done there and in the Bittersweet book. That the seeming gap in any non-famous kids emerging as authors between 1978 and 2001 correlates with the generation when conservative backlash hardline attitudes to school authority and homework pressure were in favour., before autism awareness started to break some holes in that. The personal case is findable in a collection of anti-psychiatry stories, under "eighties teenage psychiatry for school pressure: one writer squashed another."

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2019, 9:08 am

tern wrote:
How would I document it in a standalone blog, then?

The case only takes a couple of lines to make, as I have done there and in the Bittersweet book.

No, it would take a LOT more than a couple of lines.

tern wrote:
That the seeming gap in any non-famous kids emerging as authors between 1978 and 2001

You should not assume that most people are fully aware that there was such a gap, in the first place. Can you point to any statistics, from any reputable scholarly source, on the number of non-famous kids emerging as authors between 1978 and 2001 vs. the number of non-famous kids emerging as authors in decades prior to 1978 or after 2001?

Among those people who are already aware that there was such a gap, you should not assume that they would agree with you as to the main reason for it. Correlation does not equal causation.

I vaguely recall hearing, from various sources back in the period from 1978 to 2001, that the field of publishing had gotten more and more competitive, and that it had gotten harder and harder for new writers (of any age) to launch a career. This was generally attributed to greater and greater consolidation of the publishing industry itself, plus more and more people wanting to be writers. I also recall reading that many publishing companies were becoming more and more risk-averse, hence less willing to take a chance on publishing anyone who was not already famous.

tern wrote:
correlates with the generation when conservative backlash hardline attitudes to school authority and homework pressure were in favour, before autism awareness started to break some holes in that.

Hmm. I was never under the impression that there was ever a shortage of good writers, whether due to educational practices or anything else. I do remember hearing about a shortage of publishing opportunities, even for excellent but not-already-famous authors.

The most relevant thing that changed around 2001 was the rapidly-growing popularity of the Internet, which enabled many new writers to become famous without going through already-established channels.

tern wrote:
The personal case is findable in a collection of anti-psychiatry stories, under "eighties teenage psychiatry for school pressure: one writer squashed another."

I would suggest that you create a blog describing your own personal case, plus other posts linking to and commenting on as many other personal stories as you can find, of other people who were children back then, along with other kinds of evidence, e.g. links to relevant news stories and academic journal articles, with your comments on these. If you want people to take your cause seriously, you need to make the evidence readily available, not just tell us where it is "findable."

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jun 2019, 10:57 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
No, it would take a LOT more than a couple of lines.

Why no back-up for that? This is about stating the case, as opposed to potential evidencings of it ..
Mona Pereth wrote:
You should not assume that most people are fully aware that there was such a gap, in the first place.

If I'm pointing it out to them, I'm hardly assuming it.
Mona Pereth wrote:
Can you point to any statistics, from any reputable scholarly source,

We will never change any injustice if we have to have research statistics already existing on a thing before we start telling anyone it exists. That's catch 22. They are the dates between Lindsay Brown and Catherine Webb/Luke Jackson/Kenneth Hall, searched for content.
Mona Pereth wrote:
Among those people who are already aware that there was such a gap, you should not assume that they would agree with you as to the main reason for it. Correlation does not equal causation.

Sure, and there are some popularly believed causations in politcal history that I think are so obviously wrong as to scream. But we have to scrutinise correlations to find evidence of causations, or else we would never find anything. The 2001 causation refers to kids picked up by publishers, not self-created through websites.
Mona Pereth wrote:
If you want people to take your cause seriously, you need to make the evidence readily available, not just tell us where it is "findable."

That findable is readily available, instantly googlable. I made it so by contributing it to the site where it is! :idea: