MAGA Teen stands to make a Billion dollars

Page 1 of 16 [ 248 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 3:37 am

A “MAGA hat”-wearing teen involved in a viral stand-off with a Native American activist is suing multiple media organisations for defamation in claims now exceeding $1 billion.
https://www.news.com.au/finance/busines ... e6c8ec8c82
So who said being a racist bigot doesn't pay!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 3:48 am

cyberdad wrote:
A “MAGA hat”-wearing teen involved in a viral stand-off with a Native American activist is suing multiple media organisations for defamation in claims now exceeding $1 billion.

Unless you have proof of him "being a racist bigot", I believe he can now sue you for libel.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 5:22 am

EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Unless you have proof of him "being a racist bigot", I believe he can now sue you for libel.

Ain't that the truth...

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 11:49 am

Interesting ... the kid bought the MAGA hat earlier that day at a souvenir shop.

That MAGA hat might be a winning lottery ticket.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 12:03 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Interesting ... the kid bought the MAGA hat earlier that day at a souvenir shop.

That MAGA hat might be a winning lottery ticket.

So the whole deal with liberals calling him a "racist bigot" and saying how they want to smash his face in and make death treats... is all based on him buying a cap while on a field trip and then smirking at some guy who walked up to him and beat a drum in his face. With absolutely nothing before or after in his life to indicate that he's any kind of "racist" whatsoever. Other than him being white and not poor of course. Like I have said before, totally bizarre on their part. And what's worse is they're sticking with it. I hope he wins all of his lawsuits.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 1:25 am

...Even if you feel he is s martyred persecuted victim who deserves a billion dollars - how likely would he be to win anything?
The alleged offense was of him in Washington, D.C., the Washington Post is in WaDC, I presume he is after the " Big 3 " TV networks...' WDC affiliate stations, maybe not the Incorporated in BYC??? actual networks? CNN? Would the alleged offense be tried in DC (as I assume with everything here), no matter where they are Incorporated? Are the courts there as sympathetic as the Tuscaloosa or Omaha courts might be?
The $1 billion spoken of - Don't lawsuits generally ask for more than they figure they could get? I think even - or especially - an ideologically committed right-wing lawyer might play up a figure like that, to generally thump his chest, perhaps scare his opponents and even not only get good coverage from right-inclined media and excite thusly-inclined people, mightn't he even be hoping for contributions by Trump-lovers to a GoFundMe account or some other drive?
And even if -IF - they were irresponsible, are CNN or the WaPo, etc., responsible for any thrests made to him? Did they say " Call That Right-Wing Teenage Caeser And Threaten Him! " and print his cf number? :twisted: I somehow doubt that. :lol:
First Amendment protections are pretty strong (Granted, in my thought this current Supreme Court, if it gets there, might think more like Trump...who has gone on record as saying that it should be easier for libel suits by powerful people to be won - thinking, no doubt, of the unfavorable coverage of his actions in the past. Do you want that just because you think " YES!! !! !! !! ! It'll bring the New York Times and CNN DOWN! Then we'll..."? It probably wouldn't, anyway, though it might hurt them some and hamper them. And besides...) IiRC, Fox broadcast FCC-liscenced TV stations have gotten away with fairly blatant distortion, if not lies, under some doctrine or another. FTM, extremes such
as snti-abortion groups that have published the home addresses and movement of abortion-providingrovide in doctor....and, though I'm less sure about this, printed their childrens' names and, when. abortion doctors were killed, put " one more down " symbols over/by their names...and got away with it. FTM, remember Sarah Palin putting a gunsight over Gabby Giffords' face in an ad s few months before she was shot?
Perhaps the lawyer/kid is hoping for a " Here's some cash, kid, now go away " settlement. Especially the lawyer. Who would probably take s massive amount of any settlement. Which might very well have a " CNN (or whoever) admits no fault " line. And what would the kid do with his $ - take a really bitchin' vaycay in Cancun? 8) :P
And besides, weren't conservatives supposed to be against " frivolous lawsuits " and for " loser pays " rules?
And, I have often thought that people in this era who make any threats to someone who is caught up in the ' Internet shaming cycle " could probably to a large extent be found, 100% legally, through some tracking them down, and brought to light for action against them and embarrassing them. I could see that as justified. Why doesn't this lawyer do that? Hoping for $ome ea$y AT&T/Bezo$ buck$? :twisted:

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 2:57 am

EzraS wrote:
I hope he wins all of his lawsuits.

Lets see how gullible the legal system is...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 5:20 am

It's a matter of principle. And maybe it will set a precedent. Considering these are multi-billion dollar corporations, 250 million is pocket change to them, but still perhaps a big enough number to make a statement.

Considering how many have been posting "bigot! racist! smash his face in!" etc all over the world as soon as those articles went out, and they're still at it, I think he has abundant evidence to prove serious defamation.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 5:47 am

...Also, any lawsuit, barring a " go away, kid " settlement ", would ake ages to wind through the courts...and AT&T/CNN and the WaPo/Bezos, etc. have lots of money to fight back! How likely would it be that this suit ended with a money payout?
HOW DID CNN/THE WAPO, ETC
- Even if you disike their politcs & attitude towards President Trump - MAKE THESE THREATENING CALLS/MAILS TO HIM? :? Did employees of those " Enemies If The People " ( - Trump ) make those calls/write those letters :P ?
Or, again, did these media outlets post his address and numbers and tell their readers " Go give that MAGA chapeau'd fascist the devil! " :? ?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 8:43 am

Accusations and threats made against Nick Sandmann, by those who had never heard of him before, were a result of media coverage. Or more precisely the way it was covered - as it seems made clear in the article the OP provided. He's still being used by liberals as a symbol of racism, even though he did not do anything racist nor is there any record of him ever having said or done anything racist. Yet the OP and many others use descriptions such as "racist bigot". Is your argument that the media is too powerful and therefore should not be held accountable and those they harm should not take action?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 9:33 am

Please keep in mind that the "MAGA Hat Kid" hasn't won anything yet.

EzraS wrote:
... Considering how many have been posting "bigot! racist! smash his face in!" etc all over the world as soon as those articles went out, and they're still at it, I think he has abundant evidence to prove serious defamation.
Considering how many have been posting "Bigot!", "Racist!", "Smash his face in!", et cetera, all over the world as soon as those articles went out, there is ample evidence to show that any Reasonable Person* would believe that the kid (1) is a racist, and (2) that he intended to incite hate.

Sure, he may win his case, but he may also win only a small percentage of the money he is suing for.

*Reasonable Person: A phrase frequently used in Tort (Civil) and Criminal Law to denote a hypothetical person in society who exercises average care, skill, and judgment in conduct and who serves as a comparative standard for determining liability.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 10:25 am

...HOW DID CNN, THE NYT, ET AL ))))))MAKE((((( THESE THREATENING CALLS?
Again - they printed his address and said " Go to it, folks! "? :P Aren't the people who made these harrassing & threatening calls the ones who should be held responsible? Or they entirely puppets of CNN, etc.?
The lawyer could, write likely, get a fair amount of money by going after the actual harassment-threst makers and probably get write a lot of money if in small individual amounts. He could start with legal and civil action against anyone whose actions in these c/ls and personal situation (Say, they're on probation on ex-offenders or hold a sensitive post) crossed over the criminal threshold, then sue them - sue some others of not-likely-to-win-s-criminal-prosection-but status - This would be pretty low,-hanging fruit for a big DC lawyer to get and it would teach a painful lesson to the people who made these c/ls :twisted: .
BTW, does your desire to sue news sources that report perhaps inaccurate, perhaps worse than that, reports (BTW, didn't the outfits the lawyer was to sue issue apologies/clarifications later? :wink:) that other persons respond to by making h/t c/ls extend to more conservative news and opinion sites that have done the same with those reports followed by right-er, not left,-ier, people making h/ts :? ? Oh, right. No more conservative source has ever done such a thing and neither has any conservative-leaning person, EVER. :lol: You'll remember Rush Limbaugh (and other conservative pundits I believe), after that Florida letter-bomb sender with Trump, etc., signs all over his van was arresred, suggested that it was a false-flag operation because ," Republicans don't do that " :P
Also BTW - is the Covington kid prepared to watch his every teenage step over the next two years or so? If (He's under 18, right?) he gets in any scrapes, it may not affect his case any, but if he gets caught with drugs or drinking or speeding or gets in a fight with a girlfriend - Well - he's put himself in the public eye. Also, given the statements that I believe have been made claiming that the Native American man lied/misrepresented his Vietnam War military time, could you direct me, please, to a site that backs that allegation or even credibly argues it? I have not seen any. I asked another poster here the same thing after he called the Native American a liar about it and that poster, as he has done at other time/s here, responded to my " Show me! " with crickets :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:. Not inaccurate reports other sources first made, perhaps later correcting. The man himself.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 2:21 pm

Fnord wrote:
EzraS wrote:
... Considering how many have been posting "bigot! racist! smash his face in!" etc all over the world as soon as those articles went out, and they're still at it, I think he has abundant evidence to prove serious defamation.
Considering how many have been posting "Bigot!", "Racist!", "Smash his face in!", et cetera, all over the world as soon as those articles went out, there is ample evidence to show that any Reasonable Person* would believe that the kid (1) is a racist, and (2) that he intended to incite hate.

Sure, he may win his case, but he may also win only a small percentage of the money he is suing for.

*Reasonable Person: A phrase frequently used in Tort (Civil) and Criminal Law to denote a hypothetical person in society who exercises average care, skill, and judgment in conduct and who serves as a comparative standard for determining liability.

So mob rule? If most of us here Sid you’re a pedo. Does it make it true?
Nope. Just because a bunch of people blindly believe lies the media tells doesn’t make it true. Millions of people think the holcaust didn’t happen should we rewrite history books?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 2:31 pm

Fnord wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I'm hoping that it's more about principle and maybe precedent than just cashing in. I seriously doubt he'd get those sums either. Then again, who knows what a jury might decide. Provided settlements aren't reached first.

I'm writing this in a really small font size because I can

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 2:48 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...HOW DID CNN, THE NYT, ET AL ))))))MAKE((((( THESE THREATENING CALLS?
Again - they printed his address and said " Go to it, folks! "? :P Aren't the people who made these harrassing & threatening calls the ones who should be held responsible? Or they entirely puppets of CNN, etc.?
The lawyer could, write likely, get a fair amount of money by going after the actual harassment-threst makers and probably get write a lot of money if in small individual amounts. He could start with legal and civil action against anyone whose actions in these c/ls and personal situation (Say, they're on probation on ex-offenders or hold a sensitive post) crossed over the criminal threshold, then sue them - sue some others of not-likely-to-win-s-criminal-prosection-but status - This would be pretty low,-hanging fruit for a big DC lawyer to get and it would teach a painful lesson to the people who made these c/ls :twisted: .
BTW, does your desire to sue news sources that report perhaps inaccurate, perhaps worse than that, reports (BTW, didn't the outfits the lawyer was to sue issue apologies/clarifications later? :wink:) that other persons respond to by making h/t c/ls extend to more conservative news and opinion sites that have done the same with those reports followed by right-er, not left,-ier, people making h/ts :? ? Oh, right. No more conservative source has ever done such a thing and neither has any conservative-leaning person, EVER. :lol: You'll remember Rush Limbaugh (and other conservative pundits I believe), after that Florida letter-bomb sender with Trump, etc., signs all over his van was arresred, suggested that it was a false-flag operation because ," Republicans don't do that " :P
Also BTW - is the Covington kid prepared to watch his every teenage step over the next two years or so? If (He's under 18, right?) he gets in any scrapes, it may not affect his case any, but if he gets caught with drugs or drinking or speeding or gets in a fight with a girlfriend - Well - he's put himself in the public eye. Also, given the statements that I believe have been made claiming that the Native American man lied/misrepresented his Vietnam War military time, could you direct me, please, to a site that backs that allegation or even credibly argues it? I have not seen any. I asked another poster here the same thing after he called the Native American a liar about it and that poster, as he has done at other time/s here, responded to my " Show me! " with crickets :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:. Not inaccurate reports other sources first made, perhaps later correcting. The man himself.

If the public formed a negative opinion of him based on untruthful media coverage, that constitutes defamation; the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation. So yes if the media falsely makes someone out to be a monster and that person gets treated as a monster because of that, then yes the media can be held responsible.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 2:54 pm

sly279 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Considering how many have been posting "Bigot!", "Racist!", "Smash his face in!", et cetera, all over the world as soon as those articles went out, there is ample evidence to show that any Reasonable Person* would believe that the kid (1) is a racist, and (2) that he intended to incite hate. Sure, he may win his case, but he may also win only a small percentage of the money he is suing for. *Reasonable Person: A phrase frequently used in Tort (Civil) and Criminal Law to denote a hypothetical person in society who exercises average care, skill, and judgment in conduct and who serves as a comparative standard for determining liability.
So mob rule? If most of us here Sid you’re a pedo. Does it make it true? Nope. Just because a bunch of people blindly believe lies the media tells doesn’t make it true. Millions of people think the holocaust didn’t happen should we rewrite history books?
That's not my point. Truth is not always as relevant in a civil case as it is in a criminal trial.

Ideally, criminal cases are judged on a preponderance of evidence and reasonable doubt, while civil cases (lawsuits) are judged on less evidence and reasonable belief. That is, after all of the evidence and testimony has been presented, the jury may still doubt that the defendant did the crime, and the defendant in a criminal case could still go free.

However, in an injury or defamation lawsuit, if you could present reasonable witnesses who say that the defendant had malicious intent, or that the defendant was negligent in his or her actions, then all it takes is a reasonable jury to believe that the defendant could be "guilty enough" to justify awarding the plaintiff with compensation for damages.

So the MAGA-Hat Kid (the plaintiff) would have to prove malicious intent or neglect on the part of the Media in his defamation lawsuit(s) well enough to convince a jury that he had been wronged and that he deserves monetary compensation. However, the very fact that people all over the world believe that the kid brought the adverse attention on himself may reduce the award, or even (at the extreme) mitigate his case entirely.

We just won't know until the trial is over.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.