Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Dr_Manhattan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2019, 5:08 pm

I was taking apart my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ to clean it. I used a solvent wipe(which, looking back, I realise may not have been an astute decision) to clear out the the dust from the board. I plugged it back in so I can monkey around on it some more and saw that the only light that came on was the power light. I think the hardware is fine, given the Pi was able to power in without any trouble, but it didn't boot the OS. This is worrying to me. Did my cleaning routine somehow mess something up? Or is there a software issue I need to address(which isn't going to be easy for me)? The sad part is I'm going to be learning IT skills through Vocational Rehabilitation(for those who don't live in America, it's a program that gets people with disabilities, like autism, into the workforce through various means, including college and/or trade school) and I can't even figure out what's wrong with a single board computer. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 5:21 pm

I use isopropyl alcohol ( 90%-100% alcohol ) to clean PCB's. I let it dry then use a can of air to blow away debris.

Give it another clean with isopropyl alcohol and let it dry properly , hopefully the solvent you used just cause a temporary issue and didn't dissolve anything .

As for learning IT skills , what difference does it make what you currently know ? You will know s**t loads at the end of the course.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Dr_Manhattan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2019, 5:45 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
I use isopropyl alcohol ( 90%-100% alcohol ) to clean PCB's. I let it dry then use a can of air to blow away debris.

Give it another clean with isopropyl alcohol and let it dry properly , hopefully the solvent you used just cause a temporary issue and didn't dissolve anything .

As for learning IT skills , what difference does it make what you currently know ? You will know s**t loads at the end of the course.

I know, that's why I'm excited about getting IT schooling. I don't have any isopropyl alcohol handy, so I'm only left with prayers that what I cleaning I have done didn't render me Pi 3B+ FUBAR. So here's to hoping I didn't break it.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2019, 7:07 pm

Dr_Manhattan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

I know, that's why I'm excited about getting IT schooling. I don't have any isopropyl alcohol handy, so I'm only left with prayers that what I cleaning I have done didn't render me Pi 3B+ FUBAR. So here's to hoping I didn't break it.

Patience. Never try and fix things if you don't have the right tools to hands. Don't touch your Pi till you can get some isopropyl alcohol and give it a proper clean. I know only too well how easily you can f**k things up by thinking maybe this will work?

It's exciting today , IT schooling when I was in school didn't even involve the internet :lol:

Dr_Manhattan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2019, 8:32 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Dr_Manhattan wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Patience. Never try and fix things if you don't have the right tools to hands. Don't touch your Pi till you can get some isopropyl alcohol and give it a proper clean. I know only too well how easily you can f**k things up by thinking maybe this will work?

It's exciting today , IT schooling when I was in school didn't even involve the internet :lol:

Apparently, I'll need to get my hands on a multimeter, too. I just put it in an anti-static plastic bag because I don't want to put up with the frustration, right now.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 5:47 am

You will need to a multi-meter to fault find but fingers crossed for you a good clean will help.