Millennial Dating and Social Media Terms

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2019, 10:42 am

Ghosting - means you’ve been seeing someone, and then all of a sudden they disappear. The ghosting period is when you haven’t heard from the person you’ve been seeing in a day or two, so you start texting and trying to get a hold of them.

Trickle Ghosting - When someone slows down their communications over social media to a trickle. They would occasionally send an email but they didn't remove or block them as social media contacts.

Cloaking - is when a person doesn’t just stand you up for a date, they also block you on any app that you’ve previously communicated on.

Scrooging - It’s the act of dumping someone before the holidays in order to avoid having to buy them a gift.

Phubbing - or snubbing. The practice of ignoring one's companion or companions in order to pay attention to one's phone or other mobile device.

Gatsbying - where, like the Great Jay Gatsby, you flaunt your beautiful lifestyle on Instagram to attract crushes.

Stashing - when one partner hides their better half from loved ones and doesn’t post about the relationship on social media.

Bread Crumbing - occurs when someone is sending your flirtatious text messages or showing their admiration or affection on social media through likes, comments and direct messages. However, they’re not really asking you out on a date — or maybe they are, but plans are never set in stone, and often get canceled. In essence, they’re just leading you on.

Micro-Cheating - constitutes of small acts that result in having an emotional attraction to someone else, all while keeping it a secret from a partner. There is no physical contact, so someone committing these acts might think they’re doing nothing wrong. “The key with micro-cheating is that you’re keeping it a secret from your partner, so there’s deception".

Love-bombing - is like explosion of affections all at once. “When you meet somebody and they have this instant chemistry or connection with you, it’s almost like they’re telling you it’s love at first sight" "They are adoring you, sending you affectionate text messages, they constantly want to see you, they may even shower you with presents … The danger here is that anything that’s happening too fast is probably too good to be true. What’s happening with a love-bomber is they’re reeling you in, they’re manipulating you, and all of a sudden, you’ve been love bombed.

Benching - is just as bad as in the major leagues. “This is what happens when you’ve gone on several dates with someone, you’ve become really attracted to them, and while they continue to text or contact you, they’re not asking you out again,” “Just like a sports team puts the guy on the bench, we put our date on reserve almost like a backup option.”

Cuffing Season - typically falls between the fall and winter period, when the weather starts getting cold and snowy, and you’re doing more indoor activities. “Singles want to be with a partner during this part of the year. They actually want to be tied down and attached so they can spend time in that manner.” But these cuffing season relationships don’t last forever. “When the warm weather starts coming back, all of a sudden they want to be free and single again, so they may end it with you, or ‘bench’ you while looking for more options.”

Catch and Release - When fishing, "catch and release" means catching a big fish and throwing it back in the water, hoping that if you keep fishing, you will catch another bigger, better one. “In dating, this is someone who likes the chase of attracting a partner, but when they finally catch them, they get bored and release them or end the relationship,”

The Slow Fade - similar to ghosting but more subtle. The slow fading is when a relationship is going really well and the natural next step is to take it to the next level — e.g, move in together, meet the parents, go on vacation, etc. “Instead of your partner communicating that the relationship is moving too fast, they slowly reduce the amount of communication until eventually, you're not talking anymore.”

Source: 'Trickle ghosting' is latest digital dating term, popularized by viral Reddit post

Luckily I am 70 year old and don't have to be concerned with any of these terms. I do not even own a conventional cell phone. I am so far out that I do not get cell phone reception.

breaks0
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 May 2019, 12:54 am

Thanks for the info, Jimmy!

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 May 2019, 11:49 am

jimmy m wrote:
Gatsbying - where, like the Great Jay Gatsby, you flaunt your beautiful lifestyle on Instagram to attract crushes.

Although this isn't entirely the reason I'm on Instagram, I didn't know part of what I was doing on there had a name! :o

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 May 2019, 5:44 am

I never heard of any of these terms except for Ghosting which is mentioned a lot on this forum. Is it Love-bombing if both partners express an extreme amount of affection very early in the realtionship :?: If it is, that's the only one of these terms I've actually done & I've done it with all 3 of my girlfriends.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 12:55 am

I'm a member of the dwindling population that really dislikes this whole mass connectivity, constantly looking at a device culture. I needed this list. I haven't known a single one of these terms but I am surrounded by people who use them. How does this even start?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 1:25 am

Thread of the Year.