Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

neptunekh
Toucan
Toucan

05 May 2019, 1:13 am

I have a mental illness at 35 and I have low self esteem due when I hate myself and want to sometimes go to the mental hospital. I even hate it when people compliment me.

breaks0
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2019, 2:25 am

I think alot of us on WP, maybe most (?) have issues w/self-esteem. It comes w/the territory w/what I'll call this "disability". Alot of us have found coping strategies to deal w/it. I wish I could tell you I'm one of them or that I have some ideas, but I don't, at least not yet. I imagine other people will have more constructive suggestions, if you're interested in them. Good luck!

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 8:10 am

I think it's normal to feel that way because a lot of people mistreat us. It's not your fault you feel this way.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 8:24 am

I have really low self esteem, too, and hate to be complimented. It’s awkward because I think people just compliment me to be nice and that whatever they say isn’t actually true (especially if the compliment is regarding my looks).

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 11:58 am

Yes. An after effect of the bullying that I endured in school is that I have periods of negative self esteem on top of the normal low self esteem I naturally had. I have learned to use it as fuel for some of my creative outlets when I am low on energy. It may not make much sense, but it does work as motivation when all else fails.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 12:00 pm

For me it bounces up and down. Like way up and way down.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 May 2019, 3:34 pm

I don't think I have low self-esteem so much as I have low esteem for others. I know very well that I do have aLOT more than my fair share of problems & issues but I also know I could of done & do alot better if I had the right supports & services instead of others just writing me off & putting me down.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 7:23 pm

You can't measure your self esteem

Who is to say you should have high self esteem?

A disproportionate number of precious lil "people" have. :cry: , confidence not proportional to competence :skull:

:mrgreen:

The act like they believe that they are the latest greatest thing since sliced bread

f**k those ass holes

Compliments are as judgmental as criticism

Idiots act like their opinions are so f*****g important

And they act like you have to say "thank you" , but all they did was flap their trap

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 10:40 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:

The act like they believe that they are the latest greatest thing since sliced bread

f**k those ass holes

I am not an a***hole...
My mother had me tested... :mrgreen:

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 10:50 pm

You can't measure your retail value

Your retail value is different, to different people

Your retail value is constantly changing

You either guess over (bakers dozen), under ("the price is right")

Significant digits

Rounding errors

A counselor told me "you are important because you are human"

All seven billion people are "important"

If that many things are "important", "important," means nothing

Bell curve

Dualism

Some lil dipshits are so full of themselves, that they act like they have never done anything wrong before in their lives

They act like they are Buddha's gift to the solar system

They act like they have a moral right to get, become, or do whatever they want

Entitled lil dipshits

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 11:45 pm

Yes, it seems to come with territory.
Some of us are really slow developers, so things others learn in their teens we might be working out in our twenties and thirties.
It's important when you do learn new skills to recognise that, and upgrade your mental picture of yourself to include your new capabilities.
This is something I just discovered - I was working through a mental health issue and discovered I still had an outdated unconscious belief about being unable to express myself effectively which I'd been holding onto since my schooldays, and was well past its use-by date.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 11:53 pm

Is this a rhetorical question?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 4:58 pm

MrsPeel,

Your post describes me, too. The "new me" is only just five years in the making. I have days when I think I haven't changed at all from the person I was years ago. When I think of the things I still haven't done, things which an NT would have done by 30, I become sad. I hope that I will develop enough in the next five years to be able to find someone who will love and accept me.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 7:33 pm

Not I said the fly!

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 9:41 pm

The only reason why it is necessary to have high self esteem, is because "most people" are lil dipshits and totally full of themselves

"If you can't beat them, join them. Or live outside it all. Creatures that live outside it all don't last long"

Otherwise, High self esteem, is neither necessary nor sufficient

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 9:43 pm

I'm gonna add to mine;
Today I could literally FEEL it going down, started out the say good and now feel blah

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia