Positive coping skills! C'Mon! Let's do it!

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

betty_ferret
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2019, 7:25 am

1. When I get angry, I end up rearanging furniture until the room has a completely different feel and look to it because I want it to feel how I feel. It's a gift. Or maybe it's all those years playing Sims.
2. Also when I get angry, I try to look for something to do like CLEAN! I love to clean. I'm a weirdo. But listening to music while cleaning is awesome. It used to be my job, actually, but it got awfully lonely.
3. I just realized right now that I should pick up an extra job doing housekeeping because I'm really good at it!

betty_ferret
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2019, 7:28 am

4. Another good one is to put all of your emotion into your cooking, or baking, and whatever you make will taste extra delicious.

betty_ferret
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2019, 7:29 am

5. When I'm mad I put extra focus on my piano, so I'm better at it. I wish I would stop using drugs so I'd get good at piano....

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 8:01 am

1. Practicing yoga and going for walks daily really help with my constant anxiety.

2. My service dog is comforting. I feel better when I shift some of my focus towards her.

3. When my son and I are having a difficult day for some reason, it helps to do something low key together like play video games, bake cookies, read books, or go for a walk.

4. I love to read. Escaping into a book has always been helpful for me!

5. I want to get back into art and music more so I hyper focus on unhealthy stuff less. I like to draw, and I’ve learned recently that I’m rather good at it. I also play the piano.

This thread was a good idea!

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 8:05 am

When I get upset I usually do one of the following things to cope (in order of most often to less often):

1. Go for a walk outside
2. Cook a hot meal
3. Sew something new while listening to / watching a netflix movie
4. Clean the apartment
5. Write
6. Sit in my hammock and read

betty_ferret
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2019, 8:38 am

Sometimes I end up needing to put all of my anger into creating an elaborate ferret costume

Last edited by betty_ferret on 05 May 2019, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 8:54 am

1. Animals, especially cats help me. Interacting with them makes me feel good. Seeing cute cat pictures and videos cheers me up.

2. Tennis, both watching and playing. I like seeing my favorite players on court and I like the physical exercise of being on court myself.

3. My various activities (Toastmasters, church, singing and, as mentioned above tennis). I also like the social opportunities each activity provides.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 9:03 am

Journal, letter

Medication

Meditation

Counseling

Diversion

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 9:06 am

I am really good at removing weeds from my yard.

Maybe this could be a job opportunity in places that have banned the use of yard chemicals. Only the rich can hire someone to weed their yard! The rich like to do stuff like that, because they can.

JimSpark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2019, 9:43 am

Following routines that I've established and refined over the years. Morning routines after waking up, certain routines at work (start-of-day and end-of-day), routines after returning home from work, routines before I go to bed. Following these routines allows me to make less decisions throughout the day, as the decisions are built-in to the routines.

Routines save me time and reduce my stress :)

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 10:02 am

JimSpark wrote:
Following routines that I've established and refined over the years. Morning routines after waking up, certain routines at work (start-of-day and end-of-day), routines after returning home from work, routines before I go to bed. Following these routines allows me to make less decisions throughout the day, as the decisions are built-in to the routines.

Routines save me time and reduce my stress :)

I could not agree more. Yay, routines.