A problem I have with the alt-right (and some anti-SJWs)

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 7:28 pm

BlueIris24 wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
BlueIris24 wrote:
Ideally, nobody should be discriminated against on the basis of their sex, race, sexual orientation, religion, or ethnicity. If the world was an ideal one, there would be no need for protected classes in the first place. But, what people should do and what people actually do are different things. There are people who gladly discriminated against these groups and still do.

Would black people be less protected by a law against discrimination based on race if the law was also protected white people from discrimination based on race?

Nope.

It's already illegal to discriminate someone based on their race, and that does include white people here in the US. That doesn't mean there aren't people that still do it, but it's been illegal for years.

Actually there are laws that do discriminate on people for race, passed by Obama. I do not believe in protected classes , I believe in segregation of men and women in private places like bathrooms, dressing rooms and sports, I wouldn't say that makes women a protected class though. Beyond that, all people should be equal, including women. People should not be discriminated on for race, gender or sexual orientation. Affirmative action is a law that discriminates on race, "to many skilled white people, a black person must be hired even if they are less qualified", that is not equal rights, that is a protected class. There should only be laws against discrimination, not discrimination of protected classes. Whites make up over 65% of the US, that's why there tends to be more of them in the work place(depending on the work place). All I can say is good luck trying to sue a place for discriminating on someone for being white, not to count that law that enforces discrimination. All that should matter is someone's skill, not trying to met a diverse outcome, it's not equality when a lower qualified person gets a job based on their race and a more skilled person doesn't get a job based on their race. People should fight for true equality, not protected classes.

Last edited by Crimadella on 05 May 2019, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueIris24
Raven
Raven

05 May 2019, 7:31 pm

Pepe wrote:
BlueIris24 wrote:
Lots of alt-righters (and a portion of the anti-SJW community), when you criticize them for what they're saying, will use free speech as a defense. If you call them racist because they're saying blatantly racist or terrible things, they'll go, "But my free speech!"

I'm sorry, but freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism or judgement, last time I checked. All freedom of speech means is that the government cannot punish you or censor you for your speech. It does not mean you can just say whatever you want without being called out on it or criticized. And it also does not mean what you're saying should be validated or congratulated.

Personally, I wouldn't get too worked up about it...
Reasonable people will see the nonsense for what it is, tag them as being extremists and move on...

Freedom of speech allows the identification of socially discordant individuals...
The focus "should" be on the education of impressionable minds to reject unjustifiable discrimination...

BlueIris24 wrote:
If I see somebody saying things that are downright ignorant, barbaric, and stupid, I'm likely going to challenge what they're saying. I'm not going to yell and scream at them, but I will criticize them. And if you're not going to respond with an actual argument, but call me an "SJW" or "feminazi", then you're doing exactly what SJWs do which is call you a bunch of buzzwords without any substance.

Let's look at your argument:
-You are trying to have a sensible discussion with people who are: "...ignorant, barbaric, and stupid..."
-Presumably, these people have no interest in changing their views...
-In all probability, they will welcome the opportunity to have discourse with someone who is in variance with their philosophy...

Have you ever convinced an "...ignorant, barbaric, and stupid..." person who has no interest in becoming enlightened, civil, and rejects your assumption that they are stupid?
I haven't and I am convinced I will never influence a closed mind...

So what do you think you are doing?
In this situation, I personally would simply be honing my debating skills...
Do you honestly think you will have some positive influence on people like this? :wink:

I pretty much agree with all that you're saying. I'm definitely not going to waste my time and breath trying to have discourse with people who are close-minded and stuck in their beliefs, nor should other people try to do that. That wasn't the message I was trying to get across. Nobody is obligated to convince or influence anti-vaxxers, Nazis, or KKK members and I wouldn't even try to.

BlueIris24
Raven
Raven

05 May 2019, 7:34 pm

Crimadella wrote:
BlueIris24 wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
BlueIris24 wrote:
Ideally, nobody should be discriminated against on the basis of their sex, race, sexual orientation, religion, or ethnicity. If the world was an ideal one, there would be no need for protected classes in the first place. But, what people should do and what people actually do are different things. There are people who gladly discriminated against these groups and still do.

Would black people be less protected by a law against discrimination based on race if the law was also protected white people from discrimination based on race?

Nope.

It's already illegal to discriminate someone based on their race, and that does include white people here in the US. That doesn't mean there aren't people that still do it, but it's been illegal for years.

Actually there are laws that do discriminate on people for race, passed by Obama. I do not believe in protected classes , I believe in segregation of men and women in private places like bathrooms, dressing rooms and sports, I wouldn't say that makes women a protected class though. Beyond that, all people should be equal, including women. People should not be discriminated on for race, gender or sexual orientation. Affirmative action is a law that discriminates on race, "to many skilled white people, a black person must be hired even if they are less qualified", that is not equal rights, that is a protected class. There should only be laws against discrimination, not discrimination of protected classes. Whites make up over 65% of the US, that's why they tend to be more of them in the work place(depending on the work place. All I can say is good luck trying to sue a place for discriminating on someone for being white, not to count that law that enforces discrimination. All that should matter is someone's skill, not trying to met a diverse outcome, that's not equality when a lower qualified person gets a job based on there race and a more skilled person doesn't get a job based on there race. People should fight for true equality, not protected classes.

Oh, I agree with you on that. It should be about skill and who is qualified for the job.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 7:37 pm

BlueIris24 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
BlueIris24 wrote:
Lots of alt-righters (and a portion of the anti-SJW community), when you criticize them for what they're saying, will use free speech as a defense. If you call them racist because they're saying blatantly racist or terrible things, they'll go, "But my free speech!"

I'm sorry, but freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism or judgement, last time I checked. All freedom of speech means is that the government cannot punish you or censor you for your speech. It does not mean you can just say whatever you want without being called out on it or criticized. And it also does not mean what you're saying should be validated or congratulated.

Reasonable people will see the nonsense for what it is, tag them as being extremists and move on...

Freedom of speech allows the identification of socially discordant individuals...
The focus "should" be on the education of impressionable minds to reject unjustifiable discrimination...

BlueIris24 wrote:
If I see somebody saying things that are downright ignorant, barbaric, and stupid, I'm likely going to challenge what they're saying. I'm not going to yell and scream at them, but I will criticize them. And if you're not going to respond with an actual argument, but call me an "SJW" or "feminazi", then you're doing exactly what SJWs do which is call you a bunch of buzzwords without any substance.

-You are trying to have a sensible discussion with people who are: "...ignorant, barbaric, and stupid..."
-In all probability, they will welcome the opportunity to have discourse with someone who is in variance with their philosophy...

Have you ever convinced an "...ignorant, barbaric, and stupid..." person who has no interest in becoming enlightened, civil, and rejects your assumption that they are stupid?

Do you honestly think you will have some positive influence on people like this? :wink:

I pretty much agree with all that you're saying. I'm definitely not going to waste my time and breath trying to have discourse with people who are close-minded and stuck in their beliefs, nor should other people try to do that. That wasn't the message I was trying to get across. Nobody is obligated to convince or influence anti-vaxxers, Nazis, or KKK members and I wouldn't even try to.

You would be supersized, talking to people does not always help, but it is nice when it does. Take for example, a black man(Forgot his name) got really famous for attending KKK meetings and just talking to them getting over 200 of them to denounce their membership, even a KKK grand wizard. That is the power of patients, kindness and willingness to have conversations with people you disagree with. To leave radicals alone and segregate them is to pretty much guarantee they remain radicals.

BlueIris24
Raven
Raven

05 May 2019, 8:13 pm

Crimadella wrote:
BlueIris24 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
BlueIris24 wrote:

BlueIris24 wrote:

You would be supersized, talking to people does not always help, but it is nice when it does. Take for example, a black man(Forgot his name) got really famous for attending KKK meetings and just talking to them getting over 200 of them to denounce their membership, even a KKK grand wizard. That is the power of patients, kindness and willingness to have conversations with people you disagree with. To leave radicals alone and segregate them is to pretty much guarantee they remain radicals.

Patience and kindness go a long way for some people (it's amazing that the man was able to convert so many KKK members), but sometimes neither are enough. I'm not going to exhaust myself trying to talk reason with people who refuse to see reason. If there's other people that are willing to do that, that's great, but I'm only going to have conversations with people who are willing to be challenged on their beliefs and criticized.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 8:24 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
Freedom of speech isn't just about the government not being able to punish people for their speech its also a cultural value. As a culture people should be free to say what they want and risk being criticised or mocked, but they shouldn't be silenced through threatening their jobs or harassing them.

People should be free to love who they want, imagine we had a system where gay sex was legal but hotels could refuse gay couples, people could be fired for being gay, bullied into quitting etc. We wouldn't say they were free to be gay just because the government left them alone.

When people complain about feminism most of them are not complaining about equal rights for women but are complaining about how a lot of modern feminism is anti male. Yes women are more likely to get attacked by men then men are by women, is this because men are more violent or because stronger people are more likely to pick on weaker people, I don't know.

I just don't think freedom of speech covers not being criticized or mocked for what you say. I agree with the government not punishing people for speech but if you say nasty horrible things, seems unfair people in society can't criticize or mock it. I mean as much as people have the right to say what they want, people also have the right to be offended by it or to criticize it. Freedom of speech in the constitution certainly does not dictate that you can say whatever you want wherever you want without any kind of social penalty, it simply protects free speech from infringement of government.

Also biologically females tend to be smaller than males, so it makes it easier for males to over-power women, granted there are exceptions not every man is stronger than every woman but it tends to be the rule. Not sure they are over-all more violent or if society has just pushed more violent roles onto males...like going to battle.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 8:31 pm

Crimadella wrote:
BlueIris24 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
BlueIris24 wrote:

BlueIris24 wrote:

I was watching a documentary a muslim american journalist woman did. She interviewed white supremacists and people involved in the neo nazi movement. One of the people she interviewed and talked to was a higher up in one of these groups and over the course of the documentary he changed his view some. Initially he admitted he would support someone like her being deported. But he came to see her as more of a friend and towards the end he apparently resigned from his white supremacy post and said he had changed his mind about her. Granted one of the other people she interviewed did not learn anything and was later arrested for some neo-nazi related crime or something. But it was interesting to watch that...and sheesh it has to take some courage to talk to people like that being a muslim american woman I wonder if she was worried for her safety at any point in making the documentary.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 9:45 pm

Crimadella wrote:

Change comes from within...

Q: How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?...
A: One, but the light bulb has got to want to change... :wink:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 9:55 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I was watching a documentary a muslim american journalist woman did. She interviewed white supremacists and people involved in the neo nazi movement. One of the people she interviewed and talked to was a higher up in one of these groups and over the course of the documentary he changed his view some. Initially he admitted he would support someone like her being deported. But he came to see her as more of a friend and towards the end he apparently resigned from his white supremacy post and said he had changed his mind about her.

So you are saying this is the norm?

Most situations I can think of have exceptions to "the rule"...
To stereotype is foolishness...
I don't stereotype...

And once again, change comes from within...
No one can be forced to believe in something against their will, assuming normal circumstances...
I think you need to give the person changing due credit... :wink:

BlueIris24 wrote:
Patience and kindness go a long way for some people (it's amazing that the man was able to convert so many KKK members), but sometimes neither are enough. I'm not going to exhaust myself trying to talk reason with people who refuse to see reason. If there's other people that are willing to do that, that's great, but I'm only going to have conversations with people who are willing to be challenged on their beliefs and criticized.

Choose your battles, agreed...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 12:19 am

Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I was watching a documentary a muslim american journalist woman did. She interviewed white supremacists and people involved in the neo nazi movement. One of the people she interviewed and talked to was a higher up in one of these groups and over the course of the documentary he changed his view some. Initially he admitted he would support someone like her being deported. But he came to see her as more of a friend and towards the end he apparently resigned from his white supremacy post and said he had changed his mind about her.

So you are saying this is the norm?

Most situations I can think of have exceptions to "the rule"...
To stereotype is foolishness...
I don't stereotype...

And once again, change comes from within...
No one can be forced to believe in something against their will, assuming normal circumstances...
I think you need to give the person changing due credit... :wink:

BlueIris24 wrote:

Choose your battles, agreed...

No I am not sure its a norm, just it certainly is possible sometimes dialogue with people can be effective in making them think more and potentially question the way they are thinking. Of everyone this journalist talked to that person was the only one who had a change of heart...most just kept on with the nazi stuff and some people cannot be reached.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 2:07 am

You are mostly agreeing on the basic points

1. The government has no right to go after people for what they say

2. Freedom of speech is not a right not to be criticized or face non criminal reprisals

3. Private companies can restrict what their employees say

As far as the culture vs legal thing I use "freedom of speech" for the legal right and "freedom of expression" for more broad lack of censorship

What has been missing from this discussion is that there is a growing issue of criminal reprisals against people expressing their views and certain government and other authorities looking other way or enabling such reprisals. IMHO these governments are failing in their duty to protect free speech rights.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 4:37 am

BlueIris24 wrote:
When I'm talking about freedom of speech, I am referring to the First Amendment yes. I think that's where we keep getting confused on. You're talking about cultural, but I'm talking about legal.

Culturally, freedom of speech means different things to different people. There's some people who believe freedom of speech should be limitless, while others believe there has to be limits on hate speech or speech that is considered "dangerous". I am not talking about freedom of speech as a cultural value, but the legal right that is written in the First Amendment.

On your Israel and Palestine example, I do disagree with a company firing someone for their personal opinions if they aren't forcing their opinions on their coworkers.

What additional rights do protected classes have?

I'm pretty sure that homophobia, religious or not, is protected under the law under the First Amendment.

I'm not American so I don't know too much about the protected classes thing, but here in the UK there was a school that tried to teach children about tolerating gay people and the Muslim parents kicked off and started shouting "Shame" and all that, had they been British they would have been arrested for hate speech.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 4:44 am

Sweetleaf wrote:

I just don't think freedom of speech covers not being criticized or mocked for what you say. I agree with the government not punishing people for speech but if you say nasty horrible things, seems unfair people in society can't criticize or mock it. I mean as much as people have the right to say what they want, people also have the right to be offended by it or to criticize it. Freedom of speech in the constitution certainly does not dictate that you can say whatever you want wherever you want without any kind of social penalty, it simply protects free speech from infringement of government.

Also biologically females tend to be smaller than males, so it makes it easier for males to over-power women, granted there are exceptions not every man is stronger than every woman but it tends to be the rule. Not sure they are over-all more violent or if society has just pushed more violent roles onto males...like going to battle.

Yeah I am not saying people should be free from criticism I am saying that its not only the government that effects free speech.

For instance lets say a girl lives in an area that is strongly pro life, she expresses her pro choice views. She is then fired from her job, no landlord will rent her an apartment, shops refuse to sell her food, the bank shuts down her account. Even though the government didn't punish her speech her speech wasn't free as it lead to her being depersoned.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 7:49 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
No I am not sure its a norm, just it certainly is possible sometimes dialogue with people can be effective in making them think more and potentially question the way they are thinking.

Agreed... :wink:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 1:52 pm

ITT: BlueIris24 has just red-pilled herself regarding the alt-right, but apparently not all posters are prepared to take that step yet.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 2:30 pm

Crimadella wrote:
BlueIris24 wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
BlueIris24 wrote:

Nope.

Actually there are laws that do discriminate on people for race, passed by Obama. I do not believe in protected classes , I believe in segregation of men and women in private places like bathrooms, dressing rooms and sports, I wouldn't say that makes women a protected class though. Beyond that, all people should be equal, including women. People should not be discriminated on for race, gender or sexual orientation. Affirmative action is a law that discriminates on race, "to many skilled white people, a black person must be hired even if they are less qualified", that is not equal rights, that is a protected class. There should only be laws against discrimination, not discrimination of protected classes. Whites make up over 65% of the US, that's why there tends to be more of them in the work place(depending on the work place). All I can say is good luck trying to sue a place for discriminating on someone for being white, not to count that law that enforces discrimination. All that should matter is someone's skill, not trying to met a diverse outcome, it's not equality when a lower qualified person gets a job based on their race and a more skilled person doesn't get a job based on their race. People should fight for true equality, not protected classes.

I thought affirmative action was more hiring a black person just as qualified, rather than hiring another white person. Not hiring a less qualified black person over a more qualified white person. I am not sure its actually an effective solution to increase diversity, but the idea behind it is to give them a more equal chance, it's under the assumption the company might pick white people over black people who are equally qualified most times.

I actually think maybe companies should have a double blind hiring process, where they don't see the name, gender, race or any details about the employee aside from their work record and what they say on their resume to sell their skills. Not sure if this could actually be implemented but that would really be the only sure way of making sure the employer is not discriminating.