There’s Something Terribly Wrong with my Memory

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

15 May 2019, 1:28 pm

dyadiccounterpoint wrote:
I have strange kinds of memory problems.

As a child, I would often space out staring out the window while riding. My guardians would ask what I was thinking about, and I would honestly tell them "I forgot." Sometimes I didn't and it was too chaotic a style of thought to be able to effectively communicate. Nevertheless, they increasingly became upset at it and would eventually start punishing me because "I forgot." One time they played a trick and acted like they were going to buy me a new video game if remembered what I was thinking about on an earlier question that day. I started making something up because I REALLY wanted a game. They believed me and took at as proof that I always knew what I was thinking about. They didn't buy the game -.-

I can also get caught in a pattern and find difficulty remembering alterations to that pattern. For instance, there was a period where I would stay afterschool to be picked up later. My father told me to ride the bus home one day. Because I am so used to staying afterschool at this point, I completely forget about it. He stormed into the school furious and had to be calmed down by staff, but I couldn't really have done better.

What can I be expected to do if I just honestly "forget."

The car part doesn't seem related to memory. But it got me thinking. I wonder if NTs just don't like when people stare out the window in cars? I do that too and get the feeling they don't like it.

I also find it hard to diverge from the usual pattern. I might mess up if I usually ride a specific train but have to take a different train one day. I have to try VERY hard to remind myself to take the different train. Honestly stuff like this is really stressful. I wish I could just remember stuff.

ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

15 May 2019, 1:29 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
But you have to remember to write the note, and remember to check it...

No seriously, I agree, I'm doing better with work appointments since I've discovered how to use the electronic calendar with the automatic reminders.
So it's only when I walk away from the computer and forget to carry my my phone I'm stuffed.

I've always thought the same thing. Some members have suggested planners and timers, which are great tips. But the irony is that I have to actually remember to use such things. If I want to set a timer to remember to do something...I would also need to set a timer to remember to set the timer. Ironically people who are already organized can use those tools better than I can. Reminders are awesome. There's a free Android app called Reminders that's relatively easy to use.

Pepe wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:

I literally sit the alarm on the poster note at times. :wink:

MrsPeel wrote:
No seriously, I agree, I'm doing better with work appointments since I've discovered how to use the electronic calendar with the automatic reminders.
So it's only when I walk away from the computer and forget to carry my my phone I'm stuffed.

Why don't you forget to carry an organiser instead? :mrgreen:

BTW, Luved you in The Avengers... :wink:

Yes, physical reminders work best. Like if I want to remember to take my umbrella, I literally put it in front of the door so I have no choice but to take it.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 5:04 pm

there's different kinds of memory, and since for me, only one is severly affected, I'm wondering if that might be the case with you as well:

implicit memory - a memory of how to do things, like driving or getting dressed (things you don't even think about at first when you think about memory)

and explicit memory, which has two subcategories:
episodic memory (personal experiences)
and semantic memory (facts and stuff - things you have learned)

personally, my episodic memory is flakey on good days, and absent on bad days. this has a really bad effect on my sense of identity and imagination of myself in the future. How should I know what I want in twenty years when I can't remember what I wanted yesterday?

on the other hand, the space where my episodic memory should be is completely filled with semantic memory.
which is great for my part-time college lecturing.
as long as I remember which day of the week it is, and don't forget to go to the lecture.

my implicit memory is also not great, btw. - I sometimes do things wrong which I have been doing professionally for a decade.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 7:51 pm

ResilientBrilliance wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:

I've always thought the same thing. Some members have suggested planners and timers, which are great tips. But the irony is that I have to actually remember to use such things. If I want to set a timer to remember to do something...I would also need to set a timer to remember to set the timer. Ironically people who are already organized can use those tools better than I can. Reminders are awesome. There's a free Android app called Reminders that's relatively easy to use.

Pepe wrote:
MrsPeel wrote:

I literally sit the alarm on the poster note at times. :wink:

MrsPeel wrote:

Why don't you forget to carry an organiser instead? :mrgreen:

BTW, Luved you in The Avengers... :wink:

Yes, physical reminders work best. Like if I want to remember to take my umbrella, I literally put it in front of the door so I have no choice but to take it.

Same.