Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 May 2019, 4:09 am

Does anybody like this?

Sounds of Silence
by Disturbed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4

I like it and, apparently, so do Simon & Garfunkel.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 May 2019, 6:01 am

It's OK except I keep waiting for the song to pick up but it never really does. I really liked Disturbed when they 1st came out but I didn't care for them much after.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2019, 10:32 am

I love it. I'd heard (and enjoyed) a fair bit of other stuff by Disturbed before that, which is a completely different style, so it really took me by surprise, but only in a good way.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 10:27 pm

Clara,
Thanks so much for posting that video. I've never heard of Disturbed but as you know, SG is among my most ardent special interests. Sound of Silence is one of the most profound songs in my life ... so it was interesting to see another adaptation. I don't know music terminology but I like the man's voice and he was able to deliver some passion at the end. I must say when the crowd walked in I was really hoping for a choir of voices. I missed the two-part harmony of SG and especially Art's angelic soprano.

I flew to the US to see Art (front row centre) in January and I cried with emotion through the whole show. I'll have to tell you about it sometime. :heart: I'm madly in love with Art and always will be, so I prefer SG but enjoyed the clip very much. Thanks so much.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 10:49 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Clara,
Thanks so much for posting that video. I've never heard of Disturbed but as you know, SG is among my most ardent special interests. Sound of Silence is one of the most profound songs in my life ... so it was interesting to see another adaptation. I don't know music terminology but I like the man's voice and he was able to deliver some passion at the end. I must say when the crowd walked in I was really hoping for a choir of voices. I missed the two-part harmony of SG and especially Art's angelic soprano.

I flew to the US to see Art (front row centre) in January and I cried with emotion through the whole show. I'll have to tell you about it sometime. :heart: I'm madly in love with Art and always will be, so I prefer SG but enjoyed the clip very much. Thanks so much.

I love Art’s voice, too, and prefer S&G. I was obsessed with a few of their songs for awhile and still love them.

I’d probably like almost any version of this song because it’s such a great song.

Going off on a tangent, I seem to have trouble relating to male singers with deep voices (unless it’s a really good voice like Pavarotti’s).

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 3:08 pm

I love the song but prefer Simon and Garfunkel. Been a fan of it since elementary school.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

SaxNerd
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2019, 12:33 am

I'm a S&G fan, and when this cover randomly came up on youtube one day I was just shocked and didn't really know what to think. It is definitely a more modern, up-to-date take on it, and if it leads people to discover the song and S&G in general, then that's good. The song's message is more relevant than ever.

Personally though, I still prefer the original, you just can't beat Art's singing.

By the way, Pavarotti was a tenor (the highest male voice), so it's not really a deep voice at all, that would be a baritone or bass. The problem is that most men are natural baritones, but pop music is just getting higher and higher, so men have to really strain to get high enough, which may be why you don't really like male singers, Twilight Princess.