Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2022, 11:53 pm

i don't know if it was of my speech or if i picked up a jar of matzo ball soup at the grocery, but i was asked if i was jewish.

himmellaufen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Oct 2022, 9:48 am

I can't do it, speech is always the hardest part of learning the language for me.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 10:10 am

Have been told have a bit of a accent….. and end up mimicking various accents that seem close to various accents based on my fathers side of the family , from Great Britain.. seems I pick up others accents too. Think it maybe a autistic thing ..perhaps , Aspies pick up more detail in sound and language. ?
Maybe it is based on some kind of out dated defense mechanism , as method of self protection in different
Environmental settings .
Gets weird , that when I was little I would play with our cats and the cats in the neighbourhood as had no friends to play with , or wanted to play with me. So I started mimicking cat sounds ,and got quite good at basic vocalizations
,and some dogs. Guess cause it was early in life, it stuck with me. To this very day .

where ever you go ,there you are

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2022, 10:14 am

Nope....even though I'm married to a West Indian woman, I can't mimic her Trinidadian accent whatsoever.

I only acquired my native New York accent later in life. Before this, I spoke sort of "robotic."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2022, 3:36 am

for much of my life i sounded like dick cavett.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 5:35 pm

I sometimes find myself (amongst people I know) briefly mimicking; a British accent, a Boston Accent, and maybe an Italian accent.