Do You Have the Same Politics or Religion You Grew Up With?

Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 7:12 am

auntblabby wrote:
my parents were agnostic. i am a believer.

Judging by your avatar, I thought you were Santa Clause. :mrgreen:

Assumption: You initially took on your parent's beliefs

When did you change philosophies?
How old were you?
What sparked the transformation?
Is there anything I can do to help you get over it? :mrgreen:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 7:18 am

Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Judging by your avatar, I thought you were Santa Clause. :mrgreen: Assumption: You initially took on your parent's beliefs When did you change philosophies? How old were you? What sparked the transformation? Is there anything I can do to help you get over it? :mrgreen:

i am the clause of santa claus, :santa: i met a psychically attuned nurse at work [in hospital] one day a while after i was discharged from army in my late 20s, she told me that soon i would have revelatory dreams that would give me the answers i'd long sought about why i was here on earth. long story short, i had the dreams that explained me to me. angelic beings did the explaining, but these angels were dressed as humans. they showed me a few of my past lifetimes which were pertinent to why my life at present was the way it was.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 7:28 am

auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Judging by your avatar, I thought you were Santa Clause. :mrgreen: Assumption: You initially took on your parent's beliefs When did you change philosophies? How old were you? What sparked the transformation? Is there anything I can do to help you get over it? :mrgreen:

i am the clause of santa claus, :santa: i met a psychically attuned nurse at work [in hospital] one day a while after i was discharged from army in my late 20s, she told me that soon i would have revelatory dreams that would give me the answers i'd long sought about why i was here on earth. long story short, i had the dreams that explained me to me. angelic beings did the explaining, but these angels were dressed as humans. they showed me a few of my past lifetimes which were pertinent to why my life at present was the way it was.

I hope I am not going too far with my joking, à la Ricky Gervais.

You said you were in the army.
Did you enlist in the MK Ultra program? :mrgreen:

FYI. I was a committed Christian until was 20.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 7:37 am

Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I hope I am not going too far with my joking, à la Ricky Gervais. You said you were in the army. Did you enlist in the MK Ultra program? :mrgreen: FYI. I was a committed Christian until was 20.

no worries :) i am curious as to what made you change course? :scratch: at that time, i was young and dumb and had no idea what MK ultra was, so obviously i was way too low pay grade for such a thing. whatever psychic things have happened to me, they were unbidden, i could not make them happen, they just happened to me much to my agnostic surprise. they effectively changed my mind. and my life.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 8:23 am

auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I hope I am not going too far with my joking, à la Ricky Gervais. You said you were in the army. Did you enlist in the MK Ultra program? :mrgreen: FYI. I was a committed Christian until was 20.

no worries :) i am curious as to what made you change course? :scratch: at that time, i was young and dumb and had no idea what MK ultra was, so obviously i was way too low pay grade for such a thing. whatever psychic things have happened to me, they were unbidden, i could not make them happen, they just happened to me much to my agnostic surprise. they effectively changed my mind. and my life.

The "joke" was that MK Ultra involved things such as mind-control/brainwashing/psychotropic-drugs/Manchurian-candidates.
They experimented on military personnel in America in the 50s.
It is an atheistic joke enquiring whether or not your mind has been altered through mind-control because you embraced religion. :mrgreen:
I know.
I'm a little devil. :twisted:

Do you know of Ricky Gervais?

Quote:
Project MKUltra, also called the CIA mind control program, is the code name given to a program of experiments on human subjects that were designed and undertaken by the United States Central Intelligence Agency—and which were, at times, illegal.[1][2][3] Experiments on humans were intended to identify and develop drugs and procedures to be used in interrogations in order to weaken the individual and force confessions through mind control. The project was organized through the Office of Scientific Intelligence of the CIA and coordinated with the U.S. Army Biological Warfare Laboratories.[4]

The operation was officially sanctioned in 1953, was reduced in scope in 1964, further curtailed in 1967, and recorded to be halted in 1973. The program engaged in many illegal activities,[5][6][7] including the use of U.S. and Canadian citizens as its unwitting test subjects, which led to controversy regarding its legitimacy.[5](p74)[8][9][10] MKUltra used numerous methods to manipulate people's mental states and alter brain functions, including the surreptitious administration of drugs (especially LSD) and other chemicals, hypnosis,[11][12] sensory deprivation, isolation, verbal and sexual abuse, and other forms of torture.[13][14] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKUltra

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 7:31 pm

Pepe wrote:
The "joke" was that MK Ultra involved things such as mind-control/brainwashing/psychotropic-drugs/Manchurian-candidates. They experimented on military personnel in America in the 50s. It is an atheistic joke enquiring whether or not your mind has been altered through mind-control because you embraced religion. :mrgreen:
I know. I'm a little devil. :twisted: Do you know of Ricky Gervais?

we all have our moments. i have heard of MK Ultra in recent years from listening to the "Coast to Coast" radio show. for all i know some spook coulda slipped me some rough stuff in a drink or a spray somewhere sometime. i've heard of Ricky Gervais but truth be told i haven't noticed much of him, i watch very little tv.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 10:46 pm

I grew up in a blue collar union house hold that was always Pro-Democrat, but otherwise had certain more conservative ideas. Religiously, my parents were conservative Missouri Synod Lutherans, though my dad was also not afraid of science.
Today, I imagine my parents would think I had gone far to the left politically. While I still attend the same Missouri Synod Lutheran congregation I had grown up in, I have made it clear that I am at odds with the church body's views on evolution, the age of the earth, as well as social issues such as LGBT rights.

MrLucky
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2019, 3:35 pm

I used to be much more socially conservative when I was younger but as I've gotten older, I grew more libertarian so I see myself more of a libertarian/conservative/nationalist. I guess maybe I'd be a Barry Goldwater type, "South Park Republican" and/or U.S. Constitutionalist. I am very pro "borders, language and culture," support the 2nd Amendment but there are times we stick our noses around the world a little too much, I don't have a problem with GLBT marriage, I don't have a problem if one wants a little weed, or even a welfare state for those who need help. Just leave me and others alone and I'll leave you alone, unless one tries to impose their will to others.

MrLucky
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2019, 3:39 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I grew up in a blue collar union house hold that was always Pro-Democrat, but otherwise had certain more conservative ideas. Religiously, my parents were conservative Missouri Synod Lutherans, though my dad was also not afraid of science.
Today, I imagine my parents would think I had gone far to the left politically. While I still attend the same Missouri Synod Lutheran congregation I had grown up in, I have made it clear that I am at odds with the church body's views on evolution, the age of the earth, as well as social issues such as LGBT rights.

I'm a baptised Lutheran myself, took Mom's side, but yeah, on the evolution thing, I believe in both sides where intelligent design could have been behind some of the evolving process but that's just me. Age of the Earth, I agree too although the 6000 year thing would cover most of written history but the Universe is a lot older than that.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2019, 3:42 pm

MrLucky wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I'm a baptised Lutheran myself, took Mom's side, but yeah, on the evolution thing, I believe in both sides where intelligent design could have been behind some of the evolving process but that's just me. Age of the Earth, I agree too although the 6000 year thing would cover most of written history but the Universe is a lot older than that.

Which Lutheran church body?

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2019, 3:50 pm

I think I've gotten a bit more liberal than a lot of my family but I'm still an LCMS Lutheran.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

MrLucky
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2019, 4:06 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
MrLucky wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Which Lutheran church body?

ELCA I do believe. That was the church I was baptised into when I lived in the Pittsburgh area. I'm in Eastern Ohio now, still near Pittsburgh. I'm looking for one, the one I'm looking at, I' not sure of. I know there is the ECLA, the Missouri Synod and the Wisconsin Synod, I think.

breaks0
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2019, 4:07 pm

Pepe wrote:
breaks0 wrote:
I dunno what my religion was when I was little. I went to Unitarian and Quaker schools and later attended my mom's Presbyterean church, but then went back to a Quaker high school. But I'm an atheist now w/some interest in Buddhism. Politically when I was little I remember liking Jimmy Carter as president and HATING reagan so I guess I was liberal. Now I'm a communist.

Communism has a lot of historical baggage...
I am assuming you are aware of that?

Capitalism and all its associated political schools of thought have alot more.

MrLucky
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 May 2019, 4:09 pm

Arganger wrote:
I think I've gotten a bit more liberal than a lot of my family but I'm still an LCMS Lutheran.

I am right of center when you average me out but my stances on some of the social issues, I've been accused of being "too liberal." I even got kicked from Free Republic, I guess I'm too much of a libertarian.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2019, 8:26 pm

MrLucky wrote:
I used to be much more socially conservative when I was younger but as I've gotten older, I grew more libertarian

It used to usually work the other way around.

MrLucky wrote:
Arganger wrote:

I am right of center when you average me out but my stances on some of the social issues, I've been accused of being "too liberal." I even got kicked from Free Republic, I guess I'm too much of a libertarian.

I'm right of centre with some liberal sympathies, also.
I guess we are individuals. <shrug>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2019, 8:39 pm

breaks0 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
breaks0 wrote:
I dunno what my religion was when I was little. I went to Unitarian and Quaker schools and later attended my mom's Presbyterean church, but then went back to a Quaker high school. But I'm an atheist now w/some interest in Buddhism. Politically when I was little I remember liking Jimmy Carter as president and HATING reagan so I guess I was liberal. Now I'm a communist.

Communism has a lot of historical baggage...
I am assuming you are aware of that?

Capitalism and all its associated political schools of thought have alot more.

More than tens of millions of deaths?
I am not sure I agree. :scratch:

Stalin was a much more effective murderer in terms of numbers than you know hoo... :skull:
Please let us not further bring up "he who shall not be named".
OK, I will: Voldemort. :mrgreen:

Quote:
Voldemort is the archenemy of Harry Potter, who according to a prophecy has "the power to vanquish the Dark Lord". Nearly every witch or wizard dares not utter his unmentionable name, and refers to him instead with such expressions as "You-Know-Who", "He Who Must Not Be Named" or "the Dark Lord". https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... le65-xz_D4