Veteran

08 May 2019, 8:47 am

rudeness is partially why i dont post much anymore

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 8:50 am

vermontsavant wrote:
Rudeness is partially why I don't post much anymore.
Yeah, these noobs can get very rude when someone starts asking questions for clarification.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 9:12 am

To the OP , you have already met Fnord & Bea , don't leave the forum because of them , we are all different here.

You can ask a poster not to post but it is not against rules for them to keep posting as long as their posts are within forum rules.

In the Haven however it's different and if someone is upsetting you , you can ask a moderator to deal with them

@vermontsavant this is very sad news to here. :(

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

HabitatBranch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2019, 8:11 am

Since I continued to get emails about this thread (probably why we always come back), I wanted to state for the record that my requests to people were in no way intended to suggest the use of force against others. I do not condone forcible external censorship or manipulation. What I was attempting to act out was a request; upon witnessing it be ignored, using my experience of the events to inform my decision of whether or not I wanted to continue interacting with someone, therefore leading to a secondary request which was also in no way intended to suggest the use of force. While the subject of the thread includes the word force, I was using the term initially to describe an attempt to behave in ways that I think are wrong, myself.

I should not expect other people to have motivation or capacity to relate my words to values or world-narratives that are relevant to my experience in the world. For this, and the misunderstanding, I apologize. Now that I've apologized, and as there is no real consequence to anything happening on this forum, or in the world, for me, I guess I may as well be part of more misunderstanding (that's what writing this is, right?)

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jun 2019, 4:41 pm

HabitatBranch wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to figure out a way that I could make enough money to survive without becoming a danger to myself or other people. So far I have delivered newspapers (my parents arranged this), taught trumpet lessons to kids (my parents arranged this also), worked at a community garden/farmer's market, worked at an urban farm, and freelance landscaping work for people I already knew.

I should probably say that the only thing I am interested in pursuing in this life is access to a large amount of raw land in Appalachia to create a wildlife sanctuary and food forest that anyone can come to without any transactions involved (I'd also like to create a community there and maybe even a school of Ecosystem Habitation to teach people about local ecological economics, water systems, and whatever else people volunteer to work with others about at a public gathering place on this land). I have no interest in renting an apartment or a room in a house or buying a house built by someone else at any point in my life so I will only be saving money towards the creation of this biological sanctuary.

With this in mind, I would be trying to make enough money to buy at least 10 acres of land as quickly as possible. I moved back into my parent's house last year so I will be able to save all that I make but...

Every transaction I have been part of has made me feel absolutely horrible and I ended up quitting every job I've had in the middle of a work day without warning. It seems like it has actually manifested as severe physical pain without injury most recently and I thought I physically could not continue. The last job I had was one and a half years ago and since then I have constantly been trying to figure out what to do next. I cannot wrap my head around giving someone else (who I almost certainly will not admire) the agency to direct my behavior in exchange for money.

I have had plenty of experience receiving opposition and being made fun of for my views relating to money and economics, so I would ask if you are going to say something to try to make me feel stupid, please just don't reply instead... I would appreciate any constructive suggestions or thoughts though.. Also, if I didn't provide enough information I would be glad to try to explain more that is relevant to coming up with an appropriate way for me to survive in this world besides just living in my parent's house until the city inevitably drives me to take my life.
Thank you for taking the time to read, if you did. I hope you will experience good things, whether or not you read this or have anything to say.

Well, we are all newbies for a reason, like was stated, there are apparently some kinder threads to post than in this area of the forum, whereby people's attempts to communicate with others about a job related activity seem to be the butt of a joke, in these cruel times. (So expect opposition from older disgruntled members of the community).
I liked your post, it seems well informed and you have a well intentioned educational outlook on the variety of aspirations and failures , highlighting the many problems surrounding work out there.
For example, I am currently working with kids, and countless times, I feel ordered to pursue the role further, but I daren't as at my age, I don't think i'd be best placed to work in this field permanently.
However, as it relates to a whole host and wide range of other things, I'm picking up a great deal from my immediate surrounds, and I am absorbent to the eyes and ears of what goes on. So far, I have managed to highlight a number of health and safety issues and drawn up on my initial startup expertise through my dedication and sensitivity to the task in hand. I could say I see the world with wide open binoculars, but when push comes to shove, no one can choose or foresee your current path, if you are able to assist in places whereby the help is valued and shared confirmatively, then its beyond no reasonable doubt, that you will achieve a bigger plot by the end of your educational or voluntary induction, or however long is intended for you. I mean your never too old to start learning or building upon your interests. That's how entrepreneurial spirit is generated.
Over time, use your skills to enhance yours and others knowledge, by accessing online resources or libraries to build on your resume, and form capable alliances in order to back these resources, like retake a course or GCSE in order to progress.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 5:43 pm

Well I hope you stick around, don't leave on account of fnord...he's difficult, but over time I have appreciated some posts he makes I mean its an autism forum so we're all different and deal with our autism differently. I may get on with some members better than others and that's ok.

As for your initial post the buying up land to conserve sounds like a cool idea, it may be possible to save up and do that. The food forest with no transactions and community may be much harder to get started though...that also sounds like a cool idea but it would take a lot of planning and may be hard to do yourself. I mean I understand there are problems in the appalachia with development and habitat destruction so buying some land with the purpose of conserving it would be a good thing.

If you are in a city now, you'd have to find a job you can stay with long enough to put some money back, I mean you just kind of have to push through it. I myself would very much like to get out of the city, I didn't live in cities growing up just since adulthood and I really don't like it. But its the only choice right now...me and my boyfriend have jobs here and its too expensive to just uproot and move without a plan or a chunk of money saved for that purpose. We are thinking maybe of going to alaska but we'd need to save up and also likely try and find jobs out there before we go so if we did it would be a few years down the road.

I mean if you're serious about it, you would probably have to work and save for a while but also its possible you could start a gofundme or something to raise money to buy land to conserve, but you would really have to advocate to your cause and use the money specifically for that. I also don't know what experience you have in that kind of thing, if you don't have any it could be difficult to actually set it up and manage it. So not really sure how you would go about it per say, but seems like a good idea to work towards.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 7:18 pm

Everyone has a right to a dream. Sometimes dreams can motivate individuals. They can become a focus and if you make it strong enough, willing to go to great lengths to make it happen, then thy can become reality. But you have to build a rock solid focus and never give up.

In 1978, I purchased 35 acres of land in the back hills of Indiana. The land was covered in woods and had a creek that went through the property. I think I paid $13,000 for the land. Then my wife and I built our own home on the land.

Before I began, I read a good book titled "From the Ground Up" by John Cole and Charles Wing. It was published in 1976 so you will probably not be able to get your hands on a copy. But I would highly recommend this book. It is a good start.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2019, 8:58 pm

I think his idea is a good one. Actually a very good one. But how to get there is the difficult task.

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jun 2019, 10:39 pm

HabitatBranch wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to figure out a way that I could make enough money to survive without becoming a danger to myself or other people. So far I have delivered newspapers (my parents arranged this), taught trumpet lessons to kids (my parents arranged this also), worked at a community garden/farmer's market, worked at an urban farm, and freelance landscaping work for people I already knew.

I should probably say that the only thing I am interested in pursuing in this life is access to a large amount of raw land in Appalachia to create a wildlife sanctuary and food forest that anyone can come to without any transactions involved (I'd also like to create a community there and maybe even a school of Ecosystem Habitation to teach people about local ecological economics, water systems, and whatever else people volunteer to work with others about at a public gathering place on this land). I have no interest in renting an apartment or a room in a house or buying a house built by someone else at any point in my life so I will only be saving money towards the creation of this biological sanctuary.

With this in mind, I would be trying to make enough money to buy at least 10 acres of land as quickly as possible. I moved back into my parent's house last year so I will be able to save all that I make but...

Every transaction I have been part of has made me feel absolutely horrible and I ended up quitting every job I've had in the middle of a work day without warning. It seems like it has actually manifested as severe physical pain without injury most recently and I thought I physically could not continue. The last job I had was one and a half years ago and since then I have constantly been trying to figure out what to do next. I cannot wrap my head around giving someone else (who I almost certainly will not admire) the agency to direct my behavior in exchange for money.

I have had plenty of experience receiving opposition and being made fun of for my views relating to money and economics, so I would ask if you are going to say something to try to make me feel stupid, please just don't reply instead... I would appreciate any constructive suggestions or thoughts though.. Also, if I didn't provide enough information I would be glad to try to explain more that is relevant to coming up with an appropriate way for me to survive in this world besides just living in my parent's house until the city inevitably drives me to take my life.
Thank you for taking the time to read, if you did. I hope you will experience good things, whether or not you read this or have anything to say.

"Stupid" is probably the wrong word, especially if you could actually pull off the project you mention in theory. I think "naive" is more appropriate. Why should people give you money to exercise your agency instead of you give them money (or labor) to exercise their agency?

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2019, 4:22 pm

Dan82 wrote:
"Stupid" is probably the wrong word, especially if you could actually pull off the project you mention in theory. I think "naive" is more appropriate. Why should people give you money to exercise your agency instead of you give them money (or labor) to exercise their agency?

It's called an "Educational Loan". A hardship agency entrepreneurial grant will be key in starting up his plan in concrete terms. They won't loan him all of the money but will expect to see some return in interest. A gross benefactor may be surplus to requirements, not all but some, and hiring a charity who works as a leading agent in the field, in return for some unpaid eco employment, might work too.
Dreams to succeed and fulfil your own drams and ambitions aren't naïve or stupid its pig headed negative people who get in the way of them whose concern is for the hole in their oversized back pockets.
It might also be time to grant employment visas back to the good people of Mexico, who are used to life in this raw and beautiful landscape.

HabitatBranch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jun 2019, 9:48 am

What if you could still buy 35 acres of land for $13,000. ha.

I'm not going to devote any significant number of years of my life to playing an idiotic market game based on relying on trade which is itself so undeveloped that it makes me have trouble believing other people besides me are conscious. I know that using money is not beneficial to anyone and that participating in civilization in any way is unhealthy.
It is unfortunate that we are trapped here in this delusion prison created by our ancestors' misunderstandings.
I recently realized with the help of some mushrooms that it is largely my fear of being myself which is keeping me from finding other people who want to live without transactional relationships and in continuous support of increasing interconnected biological diversity and hydrological dispersion through the landscape. Unfortunately, all of my previous attempts to desensitize myself to self-expression with an audience have only lead to further paralysis. I'm surely just going to be wasting time waiting for this all to end.

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jun 2019, 8:51 pm

PearlsofWisdom wrote:
Dan82 wrote:

It's called an "Educational Loan". A hardship agency entrepreneurial grant will be key in starting up his plan in concrete terms. They won't loan him all of the money but will expect to see some return in interest. A gross benefactor may be surplus to requirements, not all but some, and hiring a charity who works as a leading agent in the field, in return for some unpaid eco employment, might work too.
Dreams to succeed and fulfil your own drams and ambitions aren't naïve or stupid its pig headed negative people who get in the way of them whose concern is for the hole in their oversized back pockets.
It might also be time to grant employment visas back to the good people of Mexico, who are used to life in this raw and beautiful landscape.

Loans have to be paid back and grants come with stipulations. I got a Pell grant at one point and I dropped my classes; I was on the hook for what I owed because the purpose of the grant is to provide an education, not for me to do what I want, i.e. exercise my agency. And in any case, the question is the same: why would someone else do you favors to achieve your dreams and you wouldn't do them favors to achieve their dreams?

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jun 2019, 9:29 pm

HabitatBranch wrote:
What if you could still buy 35 acres of land for $13,000. ha.

I'm not going to devote any significant number of years of my life to playing an idiotic market game based on relying on trade which is itself so undeveloped that it makes me have trouble believing other people besides me are conscious. I know that using money is not beneficial to anyone and that participating in civilization in any way is unhealthy.
It is unfortunate that we are trapped here in this delusion prison created by our ancestors' misunderstandings.
I recently realized with the help of some mushrooms that it is largely my fear of being myself which is keeping me from finding other people who want to live without transactional relationships and in continuous support of increasing interconnected biological diversity and hydrological dispersion through the landscape. Unfortunately, all of my previous attempts to desensitize myself to self-expression with an audience have only lead to further paralysis. I'm surely just going to be wasting time waiting for this all to end.

I think you're trolling.

HabitatBranch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2019, 8:38 am

I don't know why you would think I wouldn't help other people to achieve their dreams, especially if they are dreams that I support... In fact, I usually help people with what they ask of me even if it is something I do not think I should do, because I don't really feel like I can say no. You seem to be thinking that I am expecting other people to give me the opportunity to create the kind of life I want, when I am actually struggling because the opportunity I would have WITHOUT ANYONE'S HELP has been taken away by other people who have modified the environment into a prison. If you think I'm trolling, then I would recommend spending your time and attention on something else as you probably won't understand what I'm talking about here and likely will get frustrated by it.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 9:14 am

Is there anyone who has sufficient land who can let you try your ideas out to see if it a success? Someone with similar goals? Is just an idea and it might work. You could try putting the word out... Even if you only manage to buy half an acre, you could still do a little. It is quite an idea and an adventure. Gives a sense of freedom...
Could you form a group of people where you all have the same goals so can all hepl each other to make it work? It does not need to be a large group... The basic idea is the more support you get in people power, the more likely the project may succeed, and the more workers there will be to enable the concept to get off the ground.

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jun 2019, 3:42 pm

HabitatBranch wrote:
I don't know why you would think I wouldn't help other people to achieve their dreams

The part where you say not exercising your own agency manifests as physical pain and you've walked away from every job you've ever had without warning in the middle of a shift. Also the part where you basically said you want to collapse society because of how you felt while high.