Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 5:59 am

"This is how you treat ADHD based off science, Dr Russell Barkley part of 2012 Burnett Lecture"

I anticipate arguments against medication.
I'm interested.

https://youtu.be/_tpB-B8BXk0

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 9:39 am

90% Of Adults With ADHD Aren't Treated ---
Being treated by his definition is controlling the behavior of Aspies through prescription drugs. So my response to the original statement is GOOD.

ADHD is diabetes to the brain! Really!! !. Some of my best abilities relate to my ability to disassociate my brain, to be able to separate my analytical and emotional brains apart and turn off my emotional brain. I would have never found this ability without the mild disassociation that occurs during daydreaming. This ability makes me fearless which opens up a vast world before me.

The part on the Compensation for Executive Function is good.

I don't agree with the entire part about Replenishing Resources. You need to capture the interest of an Aspie. That is the key. Also the impact of stress in the lives of Aspies should not be minimized. The best approach is to teach Aspies to learn how to vent stress energy. One of the means of venting stress is Exercise. So he is right-on there.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 9:59 am

For me personally, which I would imagine why many would prescribe such medications, Adderall does wonders for me and I have very bad add. It allows me to be able to focus on one thing rather than my mind going ape s**t and being easily detracted by anything and everything. To such a degree that I can hardly play my guitar without adderall, my mind doesn't allow me to focus good enough to maintain rhythm, yet give me some Adderall and I can maintain great rythym for hours.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 10:02 am

Shameless plug...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 2:59 pm

Adults can’t have adhd, it magically gets cured at 18. :roll:
That’s the general idea I’ve got from docotors when i tried to get meds, there’s no adhd doctors in my area for adults.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 3:01 pm

I’m on ADHD medication. It’s really helped with my ability to focus and get stuff done.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 4:55 pm

Crimadella wrote:
For me personally, which I would imagine why many would prescribe such medications, Adderall does wonders for me and I have very bad add. It allows me to be able to focus on one thing rather than my mind going ape s**t and being easily detracted by anything and everything. To such a degree that I can hardly play my guitar without adderall, my mind doesn't allow me to focus good enough to maintain rhythm, yet give me some Adderall and I can maintain great rythym for hours.

I might look into it...

Twilightprincess wrote:
I’m on ADHD medication. It’s really helped with my ability to focus and get stuff done.

How dare you people not telling me this. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 5:08 pm

jimmy m wrote:
90% Of Adults With ADHD Aren't Treated ---
Being treated by his definition is controlling the behavior of Aspies through prescription drugs. So my response to the original statement is GOOD.

I can only dream of a magic pill which allows me to access my potential.
I am making good strides on my own through critical analysis of how I behave/think and through research.
(Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks.)
But to quantum leap into clarity of thought would be a godsend.

I'll talk to my GP and see if he can give me a referral to an appropriate individual.
If it doesn't work, that will be determined through trial and appraisal.
Simples.

Last edited by Pepe on 08 May 2019, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 5:08 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:

Lucky

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 6:09 pm

sly279 wrote:
Adults can’t have adhd, it magically gets cured at 18. :roll:

Yes. And also, as I've found; "you've got your ASD diagnosis now, what more do you want?". Folks with an AD(H)D diagnosis have responded to the way I describe my executive function problems quite often with; "have you been checked for ADD, these sound like just the kind of problems that I have", and I've seen other members get similar comments. But when most professionals see ASD on my medical records, any issue I raise simply gets attributed to autism without any further investigation (or to the anxiety and depression which they also see listed there - which is confusing cause with effect, IMHO.)

I realise there is some controversy over whether ASD and ADD overlap or are completely independent conditions. But I don't care which it is. I'm not looking to add to my medical abbreviations collection, I'm just looking for access to whatever might help me with some problems which I have now quite clearly identified. Medication wouldn't be my first choice, but I would consider it along with the other options such as occupational therapy. My ASD assessment report doesn't even mention my EF, even though it was discussed at length as such during the interviews - but its effect is critical, as it often interferes with self-improvement in other areas. It's the trait that concerns me most, yet none of the support that I receive even recognises it, let alone prioritises it (aside from the support and advice of the good folks here, of course!)

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 6:20 pm

I’m diagnosed with aspergers and adhd they just won’t give me meds.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2019, 6:27 pm

i briefly was on Strattera [Atomoxetine] and i can say it made me feel subjectively "normal" for the first and only time in my life. it was a brief trip to the promised land of being simultaneously relaxed yet alert. insurance [Group Death] stopped covering it however, and each pill retailed for $20 in 2004 dollars. so i hadda go off it cold-turkey which was tough.

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2019, 1:06 am

After dealing with the side effects of ritalin for years I will never allow myself to be part of that ridiculous prescription scam again. It dulled everything except my anger and depression to the point where I felt like a robot.

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 9:11 am

I'm pretty ADHD, in addition to having autism.

I'm not "treated" for it.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 9:44 am

I watched about three minutes of the video, then got distracted.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 8:35 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
I watched about three minutes of the video, then got distracted.

:lmao:

I often have the same problem.
And I find some of the "War and Peace" posts in this forum just too hard/challenging/time-consuming and skip them. <shrug>