Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 10:20 am

Years ago, a leader in my church told me that since I was a “large-chested woman” (his words!) I needed to be more careful about what I wore than most women. He said that my clothes were “too revealing.” I know he said more stuff, but I was so mortified that I tried not to listen too closely. I also sensed that he was looking at my body as he was talking, so I tried to discretely cover up more with the sweater I was wearing.

I’m not really that large-chested, and I dress pretty modestly because I’m self conscious but whatever.

Anyway, I really didn’t say much and acted as though I would listen to his advice even though I was frustrated and embarrassed. I’m more bothered that I didn’t stick up for myself at all than by the actual comment that he made even though I felt self conscious around him after that and wondered whether he was looking at my body.

I was seriously lacking in any backbone. Of course, if I had stuck up for myself, I probably would’ve been counseled for not being humble or submissive... Oy vey!

How would you all have handled this situation? Am I correct in thinking that it was super inappropriate?

It’s sort of like he had no idea that what he said was inappropriate. As a church leader, he seemed to think that he could give very pointed and specific advice that was superior to any scruples the average (non-cult-following) person would feel and observe.

It’s like when one feels that they are a link in the chain to God they don’t have to follow normal mores about decency. It’s a really common thing that’s hard to describe and pinpoint.

I’m really glad that the mild flirtation I had with his son went nowhere. It would’ve been super awkward to have him as a father-in-law, and I think some of his attitude towards women may have rubbed off on his son.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 11:00 am

He had authority, so he can get away with whatever he wants

Some priests have been accused of raping children

If you don't day anyway, you are letting him walk all over you

Abuse of power

If you were to have said something, he could've used his authority against you

Someone had the nerve to tell me that you have "an extremely large chest"

Just 36 b :roll:

As a trans man in San Diego 2004

Homophobic

Sexist

Seriously doubt he would be receptive

If you tattle on him, the authorities might not believe you. The authorities could be biased. Everyone is biased. They act like they are perfect. They have big egoed.

Sometimes the authorities will take the side of their friends, because the friend has more power than you do

You don't know who is having sex with whom

He should not be talking about your body, any more than you should be talking about his body

:roll:

Please arrange a different group leader

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 1:03 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
He had authority, so he can get away with whatever he wants

Some priests have been accused of raping children

If you don't day anyway, you are letting him walk all over you

Abuse of power

If you were to have said something, he could've used his authority against you

Someone had the nerve to tell me that you have "an extremely large chest"

Just 36 b :roll:

As a trans man in San Diego 2004

Homophobic

Sexist

Seriously doubt he would be receptive

If you tattle on him, the authorities might not believe you. The authorities could be biased. Everyone is biased. They act like they are perfect. They have big egoed.

Sometimes the authorities will take the side of their friends, because the friend has more power than you do

You don't know who is having sex with whom

He should not be talking about your body, any more than you should be talking about his body

:roll:

Please arrange a different group leader

I’m no longer a believer, so I don’t go there any longer.

I’ve noticed that the stricter the church is the worst it is for women.

In this particular one, sex outside of marriage and even masturbation are considered wrong, so a lot of focus is given towards women needing to be modest to avoid making things hard for the men (pun intended).

Absurd!

More time should’ve been spent teaching the men not to be creepy weirdos.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 1:43 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
It’s like when one feels that they are a link in the chain to God they don’t have to follow normal mores about decency. It’s a really common thing that’s hard to describe and pinpoint.

I noticed that too - it's amazing how, hiding behind the shield of age and authority, some of these guys would talk to women in a way no decent, self-respecting man ever would (personally I've never seen that type talking in a similar fashion to adult men). While you're still part of the group, I don't think there's any way in which you can actually respond to such comments that won't make your situation even worse. Otherwise, I would encourage rudeness or at least a stern way of putting him back in his place.

My apologies, I just noticed this is the women's forum :oops:

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 1:53 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I noticed that too - it's amazing how, hiding behind the shield of age and authority, some of these guys would talk to women in a way no decent, self-respecting man ever would (personally I've never seen that type talking in a similar fashion to adult men). While you're still part of the group, I don't think there's any way in which you can actually respond to such comments that won't make your situation even worse. Otherwise, I would encourage rudeness or at least a stern way of putting him back in his place.

My apologies, I just noticed this is the women's forum :oops:

I appreciate input from guys, too.

It was a weird situation because he wasn’t hitting on me, so I can’t have the same level of frustration as if he was sexually harassing me. His motives weren’t exactly bad, but they were misplaced.

I didn’t like that he felt justified in saying something like that, and I wish I could’ve told him how inappropriate that was, not that it would’ve done any good, but it would’ve made me feel better about it.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2019, 2:11 pm

^
I realise he wasn't hitting on you, it's the way he felt entitled to cross boundaries that does my head in. I've seen men... well, leering at women in similar circumstances (attractive women that weren't dressed particularly "provocative") and the person in authority admonished in some form the women, not the men.

It made a strong impression on me as I didn't grow up in that kind of environment - as a man I've never experienced anything similar and I can't imagine reacting to it with anything but anger and hostility :oops:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 May 2019, 12:48 am

Well, being perfectly honest and saying:
"Sir, according to my best knowledge, my clothing is absolutely appropriate, quite unlike your comment"
would not be easy but there are times I do it. Results:
- enormous satisfaction from looking at his face
- a powerful enemy to deal with
- surprisingly, despite hating you and seeking revenge, guys usually learn the lesson and never do it again.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 1:32 am

Confront

Tattle

Ignored

Passive aggressively

Depending on your bravery and situation

There is something wrong with everything

No method is guaranteed to work

All methods could backfire

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 4:40 am

Stuff like that is exactly why I quit going to church many years ago.

All abrahamic religions are mysognistic in my honest opinion.

But personally I quit going to church because of the homophobia, and every time I hear a Christian try and convince me "Oh God and Jesus don't really hate you for being gay! The Bible never said that gays were an abomination and deserve death! Come back to church!" I feel an urge to smack them with their own archaic textbook. :x :roll:

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 8:00 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Years ago, a leader in my church told me that since I was a “large-chested woman” (his words!) I needed to be more careful about what I wore than most women. He said that my clothes were “too revealing.” I know he said more stuff, but I was so mortified that I tried not to listen too closely. I also sensed that he was looking at my body as he was talking, so I tried to discretely cover up more with the sweater I was wearing.

I’m not really that large-chested, and I dress pretty modestly because I’m self conscious but whatever.

Anyway, I really didn’t say much and acted as though I would listen to his advice even though I was frustrated and embarrassed. I’m more bothered that I didn’t stick up for myself at all than by the actual comment that he made even though I felt self conscious around him after that and wondered whether he was looking at my body.

I was seriously lacking in any backbone. Of course, if I had stuck up for myself, I probably would’ve been counseled for not being humble or submissive... Oy vey!

How would you all have handled this situation? Am I correct in thinking that it was super inappropriate?

It’s sort of like he had no idea that what he said was inappropriate. As a church leader, he seemed to think that he could give very pointed and specific advice that was superior to any scruples the average (non-cult-following) person would feel and observe.

I’m really glad that the mild flirtation I had with his son went nowhere. It would’ve been super awkward to have him as a father-in-law, and I think some of his attitude towards women may have rubbed off on his son.

I've experienced variations of this sort of thing. One of the times I can think of is when I was working at the university I attended in one of the student services offices and a much older man who was a student came in. I was wearing cowboy boots and he said something about how cowboy boots turned him on or something. I don't remember the exact comment. I was dumbfounded, angry, and embarrassed. I froze and didn't know what to say. After I told someone in my department they acted like it wasn't a big deal and that I should ignore it.

They were wrong though, we should NEVER accept this behavior, but it definitely took me a long time to learn that because I observed it and learned it.

Unfortunately, some men believe that women's bodies are public property, and they have a right to say/do what they want to us because they have very little, if no, repercussions. I've spent a good portion of my life angry because I'm so tired of it. I am tired of feeling angry and embarrassed just for existing.

Men in positions of authority are especially guilty of this.

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 4:02 am

I find it absurd how certain types of people always blame the women if men sexually harras them. They're either "dressing too indecently" or just "giving those signals." With these people it will always be the woman's fault, even if she gets raped. In my opinion, the best way to deal with these types of people is just to avoid having anything to do with them. It won't fix the problem of course, but it'll keep you safe and away from harm. If you want to be better than just someone who saves their own skin, then try to warn and support other women (and decent men too of course) who can't get away, from the sidelines.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 7:35 am

Extreme religious guys find they can't reconcile their rampant sexual urges with the fantasy image they have of themselves as a pious God-fearing gent... so they blame women for tempting them from from the true path. They should chill and masturbate more often... take some of the pressure off and make the world a happier place.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 7:52 pm

martianprincess wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I've experienced variations of this sort of thing. One of the times I can think of is when I was working at the university I attended in one of the student services offices and a much older man who was a student came in. I was wearing cowboy boots and he said something about how cowboy boots turned him on or something. I don't remember the exact comment. I was dumbfounded, angry, and embarrassed. I froze and didn't know what to say. After I told someone in my department they acted like it wasn't a big deal and that I should ignore it.

They were wrong though, we should NEVER accept this behavior, but it definitely took me a long time to learn that because I observed it and learned it.

Unfortunately, some men believe that women's bodies are public property, and they have a right to say/do what they want to us because they have very little, if no, repercussions. I've spent a good portion of my life angry because I'm so tired of it. I am tired of feeling angry and embarrassed just for existing.

Men in positions of authority are especially guilty of this.

Yeah. It definitely bugged me that he felt that he had the perfect right to say that.

He didn’t get that how I dressed was none of his business.

It’s just another example of entitlement.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 7:56 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
I find it absurd how certain types of people always blame the women if men sexually harras them. They're either "dressing too indecently" or just "giving those signals." With these people it will always be the woman's fault, even if she gets raped. In my opinion, the best way to deal with these types of people is just to avoid having anything to do with them. It won't fix the problem of course, but it'll keep you safe and away from harm. If you want to be better than just someone who saves their own skin, then try to warn and support other women (and decent men too of course) who can't get away, from the sidelines.

They have put blame on women on numerous occasions that I can remember. It’s even in their publications. If you are a victim of domestic violence, they question if you’re being a good, submissive wife.

They’ll talk about how a girl dresses and who she hangs out with when the topic of rape comes up. That way when a girl is victimized, she’ll be conditioned to blame herself.

This type of stuff has caused a lot of harm to a lot of women that I’ve talked to and it’s just one cult.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 7:58 pm

Trueno wrote:
Extreme religious guys find they can't reconcile their rampant sexual urges with the fantasy image they have of themselves as a pious God-fearing gent... so they blame women for tempting them from from the true path. They should chill and masturbate more often... take some of the pressure off and make the world a happier place.

Sex gets blown way out of proportion when people aren’t allowed to masturbate. Women get blamed for tempting men and people get married at a very young age, too.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 8:11 pm

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
Stuff like that is exactly why I quit going to church many years ago.

All abrahamic religions are mysognistic in my honest opinion.

But personally I quit going to church because of the homophobia, and every time I hear a Christian try and convince me "Oh God and Jesus don't really hate you for being gay! The Bible never said that gays were an abomination and deserve death! Come back to church!" I feel an urge to smack them with their own archaic textbook. :x :roll:

Homophobia was one of the other things that inspired me to quit. It felt immoral. Religion shouldn’t make people more immoral than they naturally are.