Maybe 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
Likely not 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

CoderGirlie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 May 2019, 2:31 am

I’m extremely shy and socially awkward, I don’t get social cues that everyone else just ‘gets’, like sarcasm and figurative phrases. At least 3 times a day (I’m not exaggerating) people tell me “I was being sarcastic”. It drives me crazy that I can never seem to get it. I am honest, and often taken advantage of. I tend to imitate my peers in what they do in order to try to ‘fit in’. I also hate starting conversations. Even if someone starts the conversation with “hi”, I can’t usually keep it going from there UNLESS they are interested in Young Sheldon. It is my absolutely favourite thing, and I am deeply obsessed. I can recite lines and phrases from each of the episodes, and for my favourite ones the whole script. I’m not sure if it is normal or not, but I like Sheldon because he is somewhat similar to me, with high intelligence and poor social skills. I am the outsider of my friendship group and I rarely talk. My favourite subject is science, and my favourite branch of science is biology. I am also EXTREMELY sensitive to most things, bright lights, loud noises, certain smells and textures, but my least favourite is lumps in socks. I CANNOT stand lumps in socks at all. I always have to re-adjust and take off, even with the supposedly seamless socks that my mum bought. I am also considered as “shy” and “reserved” by a lot of people, and am extremely gifted, and often space out and get lost in my own thoughts. I am also an extremely deep thinker. I was grade-skipped, only one grade because my country doesn’t allow any more than that, although I would have been skipped 3-4 if allowed. Started reading extremely young, and reading thick novels in prep. ( The magic faraway tree ). I also need to constantly tap my fingers or some other form of sensory stimulation. Flapping is only reserved for when I am alone, as I have learnt that it is not acceptable in public. I hate eye contact as it feels like my eyes are burning, and even if I do manage to put aside my pain, I have no clue whatsoever on how long to hold for, what facial expressions to use. However, it is assumed that people with Aspergers do not have empathy. Strangely enough, I feel things deeply for other people however I may not express it often.
Also, I am a 12 year old girl, if that makes any difference.
It would be greatly appreciated if you wrote your opinion on whether I have it or not.
- CoderGirlie

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 5:18 am

Welcome to WP!

What kinds of programming languages are you studying?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 7:46 am

I can't tell if you have Asperger's. It is very hard to figure out online, but there are often resources, perhaps with your school, that can help to evaluate you. There are books like Autism in Heels that discuss how autism is different in women versus men.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 8:01 am

No one here can tell if you have Aspergers' Syndrome or any other Autistic Spectrum Disorder. Please consult an appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health practitioner.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 1:36 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2019, 7:31 pm

Autism is hard to diagnose because everyone is different. You aren't going to find another Aspie just like you. Instead, it takes a lot of work to figure out exactly who you are, and decide whether that meets the criteria for autism or not.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2019, 3:07 am

Empathy: one of those things with multiple overlapping definitions.

Socially, empathy involves having your perceptions of others’ emotions recognised by others
The autistic variant, given that we tend to miss out on reciprocal perceptions, isn’t the same.