Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 May 2019, 1:30 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
^ Some very valid points.

I liked the take-away

Quote:
However, there is one important skill missing from this list: empathy. I wish everyone had more empathy. It’s easy to say that a person doesn’t have something like work ethic — and that they should, because “it takes no talent” — but taking the time to explain to someone what work ethic really is, and how to improve theirs, goes a much longer way.
I just finished reading it & totally agree

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

13 May 2019, 2:14 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
^ Some very valid points.

I liked the take-away

Quote:
However, there is one important skill missing from this list: empathy. I wish everyone had more empathy. It’s easy to say that a person doesn’t have something like work ethic — and that they should, because “it takes no talent” — but taking the time to explain to someone what work ethic really is, and how to improve theirs, goes a much longer way.

The Quote is exactly what I was trying to say. If someone posted this at work I would be somewhat confused because I probably wonder "Is this something that I need to work on?" Although, managers and others above you at work won't go up to you and just say "Hey, work on this because....." I think you are going to have to go up to them and discuss it with them. They might think it's silly but who knows, you might actually get something out of asking.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 4:27 am

Now I understand it, that notice really rubs me up the wrong way.
Partly because of the implication that the reader must have no talent.
Partly because of the NT double-speak that expects staff to understand what is expected of them from a cryptic notice - instead of just telling them.
But mainly because of the arrogance of the person who posted that to assume that they themselves are fully capable in all the areas on the list - or the hypocrisy in expecting others to meet a standard they themselves fall short on.
...I suspect I would not get on at all well with the person responsible... :evil: