Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 5:19 am

I have a problem with all extremists.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 9:43 am

I have a problem with anyone who cuts off others in their lives due to their bodies. But especially sexists who refuse to mix with the opposite sex. Either 51% or 49% of the population is the opposite sex. Even if someone is gay, cisgender and very stereotypically their sex (bears, femmes etc) they will likely have family members of the opposite sex and mix with the opposite sex every day.

So, it's unhealthy and impractical to refuse to mix with the opposite sex.

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 May 2019, 11:57 am

The witch hunting of men, to blame every social collision on the man, happens just as much in places claimedly of autistic support

www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2013/04/508835.html

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 May 2019, 2:00 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s almost like Malcolm X was required as sort of a counterpoint to Martin Luther King.

Or as sort of a “bad cop” to King’s “good cop.”

This is the issue.

Some feminists are indeed the equivalent of Malcolm X. Same happens on this website. Autistics ranting about how horrible NTs are, and trafficking in theories of "autistic surpremacy".

I think you're both rather missing the thrust of the discussion at hand. As the OP states, despite its name, radical feminism is not "extremist" feminism or "Nation of Islam" feminism, nor is it even particularly radical. Radical feminism is a conservative form of pseudo-feminism which can be distinguished from liberal feminisms primarily by its support for sex essentialism, opposition to most sexual activity, and opposition to heterosexuality (favouring political lesbianism). While all three of these concepts are somewhat controversial among self-identified radical feminists, it's fair to say that a substantial majority of radfems support each of these.

As a proud liberal intersectional feminist, I find radical feminism pretty abhorrent - it obviously lends itself strongly to transphobia, biphobia, preservation of the gender binary, and sexual repression. It's a controlling, conservative ideology that broadly views women as incapable of independent thought - for example, a woman who chooses to have sex with a man has been tricked. In this regard, it shares an awful lot in common with religious conservativism, and indeed the two groups are frequent bedfellows - religious conservatives know they'll get more sympathy if they wrap transphobic arguments up as "feminist". Radfems also have a tendency to view other forms of oppression (particularly homophobia but also racism, poverty, etc) as derived from patriarchy, which is obviously nonsense.

Now intersectionality, that's a radical philosophy with profound implications for how we view the world - but also, increasingly, a mainstream one. Liberal conservatives now generally position themselves as intersectional feminists, for example. Yes, there are radfems throughout the mainstream, and there are cultural conservatives opposed to all forms of feminism, but they're outnumbered and they're losing the argument.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 2:14 pm

So tiresome.Yes there are women who hate men.And men who hate women.Sucks for everyone all around.Haters suck gender doesn’t matter.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 8:29 pm

Misslizard wrote:
So tiresome.Yes there are women who hate men.And men who hate women.Sucks for everyone all around.Haters suck gender doesn’t matter.

Agreed.
Do people really stereotype these days?
How tunnel-visioned/biased/ignorant/foolish do you have to be to think in binaries here?

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 3:07 am

KT67 wrote:
OK first of all, a lot of people don't know what radical feminism means. It ought to mean bringing feminism back to its roots.

The beliefs are: the two sexes exist and gender is imposed by patriarchy. Gender is a hierarchy with masculinity on top. Dismantle gender.

So I don't want to hear anyone say 'yeah, radical feminism is awful because of Riley Dennis' when Riley Dennis is far from being a rad fem.

This would be an actual philosophy. In itself the notion that having a penis or having a vagina shouldn't matter in terms of equality is good, actual feminism.

But the women radical feminism attracts are actual misandrists.

They believe in things like, all heterosexual relationships are abusive to the woman. Women and men can't be friends. All men are inherently abusive to all women. Some of them even say it about animals.

It's hypocritical. You can't not believe in gender and, at the same time, see all men as cavemen. It's almost cultish, because just living around men will show that some are like the cavemen they talk about and some just aren't. They encourage women to cut all ties from men which is unhealthy.

What I'd say is: if you're wanting to socially transition, just do what you want without hurting your body. If you're medically trans and hate your body in a way which could be fixed with transition: transition. If you're a masculine woman or a feminine man: just go ahead and do it and sod society's gender roles. But nobody ought to cut people out of their lives just because of their sex. It's unhealthy and sexist and bs.

They really are the MGTOWs of feminism.

I keep having to explain how radical feminism is why MGTOW has started to exist. And I don't care either way, because rad fem also exists.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 3:17 am

KT67 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:
They believe in things like, all heterosexual relationships are abusive to the woman. Women and men can't be friends. All men are inherently abusive to all women. Some of them even say it about animals

Do they say the same about spiders? (and almost all arachnids and insects)

Exactly.

Yes it probably sucks to be a female duck but they don't know any better, it isn't 'rape'.

I really can't handle misogynist or conservative mindsets. I've been masculine for as long as I remember so the only things which work for me are trans activism or radical feminism or just lasses faire attitude where I don't think about this stuff.

Maybe I'm coming to terms with being a trans guy?

The thing is, women around me are all feminine and I have little in common with them. Men around me are masculine and only annoying when they assume we have nothing in common but I get why because of the other women.

you're missing Boo's point.

They have very little tolerance for men in the bug world. Female spiders are fifty times as big as the males, and usually eat the males after mating. When a preying mantis couple does the nasty the female cuts off the male's head. It makes him more uninhibited, and passionate. And then when they are done she eats the rest of him.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 5:18 am

Feminism is a good thing, but radical feminism usually isn't. Radical anything is usually a bad thing.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 7:12 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
Feminism is a good thing, but radical feminism usually isn't. Radical anything is usually a bad thing.

Agreed.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 11:24 pm

Radical feminists are man haters and I don't go for that. Men are half of the reason that they're alive because their fathers are in fact, men. I don't stand for people who hate men or women for any reason. We're all here together and we've got to get along.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 4:42 am

TERFs (trans-exclusive radical feminists) are the worst.

Nist498
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 11:40 pm

What we're seeing these days is sadly one of the results of progress. Back in the 80s and somewhat in the 90s there was a still good reason to be pushing for equality of opportunity. AS such you'd see many of the more influential feminists of the time pushing for just that while at the same doing their best as a collective to keep the fringe radicals from gaining too much control. Unfortunately now that equality of opportunity has for the most part been achieved these more grounded feminists have left the movement and now the crazies have taken over.

What's worse is that technological progress has also made this situation far more extreme than it otherwise would be. Social media has made it all too easy for the nutjobs to push their insane agendas whether it's radical misandry spouting feminists, political shills, social manipulators, and trolls trying to bring everything down for their own sick amusement.

All magic comes with a price! - Rumplestiltskin

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2019, 11:55 pm

^ Yeah, pretty much. Crazy and/or radical people have always existed, but the internet makes it easier for them to be seen, and not needing to use their own names and faces makes it easier to speak their minds. And yes, it's not just radical feminists. It's also the radicals in politics, rasists, misogynists, religious radicals etc... even among us autistic people there are those anti-NT people sometimes.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 May 2019, 6:38 am

Nist498 wrote:
What we're seeing these days is sadly one of the results of progress. Back in the 80s and somewhat in the 90s there was a still good reason to be pushing for equality of opportunity. AS such you'd see many of the more influential feminists of the time pushing for just that while at the same doing their best as a collective to keep the fringe radicals from gaining too much control. Unfortunately now that equality of opportunity has for the most part been achieved these more grounded feminists have left the movement and now the crazies have taken over.

This is basically the complete opposite of what has happened.

Radical feminist views have become less popular over the past thirty years, while liberal feminism has become more popular.

Who were the most influential feminists of the 80s? Germaine Greer, Betty Friedan, Andrea Dworkin, Catherine MacKinnon, Gloria Steinem, Casey Hayden, Mary King. Of those, only Friedan and Steinem are associated with liberal feminism, and Steinem held some views we would today associate more closely with the radical feminist movement (although she's since disavowed these views).

Who are the most influential feminists today? Laura Bates, Rebecca Solnit, Jessica Valenti, Holly Baxter, Chimamanda Adichie, Rhiannon Cosslett, Jacob Butcher, Anita Sarkesian, Tarana Burke, Emma Watson, Roberta Kaplan, Ai-jen Poo... these are all liberal feminists. They're much more likely to cite Kimberlé Crenshaw than Greer or Dworkin.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2019, 6:51 am

Aside from abortion, what are the other major women's rights issues that the mainstream feminists want addressed?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!