Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 7:43 am

I was at the shop yesterday when the cashier was speaking to me, I could hear what she was talking about but couldn't understand what she was saying. Thinking about this I realised this has been one of my biggest challenges in my life, especially in school I would hear what the teacher was saying but wouldn't process it. It like dyslexia but with hearing, I looked into it and its called auditory processing disorder.

Does anyone else have this? Is it related to Autism? How has it effected your life?

south_paw
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 May 2019, 8:59 am

I have had this issue my entire life. It took me a long time to realize I was different from other people and that the problem was not me hearing but my ability to process information. I think it is fairly common in ASD folks...I have found that ADD medication has improved my ability to follow conversations dramatically. YMMV

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 9:13 am

This became an issue to me rather recently... As soon as about more than a year by now.
There's even a point that I didn't understood what I said even if I did said it right.

Mine has more to do with either with working memory, or just plain processing overwhelmed by the lack of sensory filters and prioritizing. I do not have this issue when my EF 'capacity' is at a good 'state'.
Maybe, just maybe ADD meds could make sense and may do for me. Except nah, I already found my own fighting chance of getting rid of these issues myself.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 9:16 am

I briefly had it when recovering from a major illness.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 3:46 am

I have APD, I think. Sometimes I only realise someone is talking to me after they've spoken and I have to ask them to repeat themselves. And when I was at the airport I kept missing the announcements. Basically, it's best to say things to me twice :roll:

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 9:11 pm

Yes, I have this. It is just like dyslexia except the input is from spoken language instead of print. Inside my head is so visual that if what I'm hearing is abstract and doesn't create a picture, I can't follow it. This is the same for me with reading, but reading is easier because I can go back and reread. By the time I've figured out what someone is talking out loud about, the conversation has moved on. Also related, I have visual processing issues for the same reason. If someone says tree, I am imagining a tree inside my head and will have no memory of the actual tree they are pointing to.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 10:48 am

I have it pretty severely but fully managed with my filter.
Definitely related to sensory issues with autism.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 5:32 pm

I have this.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 7:59 pm

Is it possible to actually be diagnosed with this? Because I can be talking to someone who speaks the same language as me and then it sounds like they are speaking a foreign language. I'm always having to ask my boyfriend to repeat himself...which he hates. But if he wants to stay my boyfriend he's going to have to learn to accept it. I'm considering studying ASL in college for many reasons this is just one of them.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 10:30 pm

Arganger wrote:
I have it pretty severely but fully managed with my filter.
Definitely related to sensory issues with autism.

What is your filter?

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 11:36 am

MagicMeerkat wrote:
Is it possible to actually be diagnosed with this? Because I can be talking to someone who speaks the same language as me and then it sounds like they are speaking a foreign language. I'm always having to ask my boyfriend to repeat himself...which he hates. But if he wants to stay my boyfriend he's going to have to learn to accept it. I'm considering studying ASL in college for many reasons this is just one of them.

It probably is, I doubt it would actually be worth the time and money though.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 11:44 am

I have this and it's a Major problem at work.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 3:34 pm

I am really embarissed and ashamed to say that though I assumed I had no issues in this respect, on rare occasions I have. The last job I had I really upset someone and I couldn't understand what I had done, and it is only looking back on things that I realize what had happened. The very strange thing about it (And I really can't explain this... How it works...) is that when the gentleman told me something I had to have him repeat it several times and in the end I just said yes when he asked "Do you understand" so he would be happy. It was a very simple thing he was telling me not to do, and... Well I must explain more. I had just come out of an energy loss situation so I have to admit that I was not at my best. This was when the gentleman in work gave me instructions that he was going to be handling my overtime pay and not to let anyone else handle it (I was owed a couple of days or a day. Can't remember). Then the manager put his arm round me ans said "Lets sort the overtime out". I saw him look at me (The man who had said he was handling it... He was also in athority over me and had more if a grasp on the situation). I went with the manager as I was a little fuzzy due to coming out of the energy loss, and there was quite a delay between my hearing that day and my brain catching up.
Lookig back, it has also happened to me at doctors and in hospitals where I am very much on edge. It is like people say things like doctors, and I hear them using clear formed words ans I nod as if I understand (To be polite etc) but I come away with not understanding what has been said.

I once (Due to extreme fatigue but I don't think it is related to the above) found my mind bouncing back and fore where I really upset someone as he said not to say something and I was confused, and the half of what he said which he said before he said not to say I assumed was ok, but then the bit he said after I assumed was the bit he aanted to stay confidential. In my mind I could not make sense of why he wanted what he said confidential, so I kept the second part confidential, but assumed the first part of our conversation was ok. It was the way he said it. Anyway. I really messed up so I decided to leave the job with a very good pay and pension. I was just too tired. The shifts had caught up with me.
I was ever so sorry but there was nothing at all that I could do. I also remember having entire conversations with my trains manager and walking away and not having a clue what I had just said. I believe this to be extreme tiredness.

What I am really concerned about is the first bit I put above. The tiredness part (Last part) is avoidable. The first bit where my brain was just not accepting speech even though I heard it plain and clear... That is my concern. The very strange thing is after the event (When there was a delay) I was able to recall what was said and make sense of it. Why is this possible when I did not understand it at first? It could be the effects of stress (Which is why I get what I describe as energy loss) which when it happens it usually lasts from a few minutes to about twenty minutes at the most though I don't quite feel as good afterwards... I have recovered but it is like being mildly groggy... Hard to explain. Anyway. Maybe someone can relate to it?

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 3:48 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I am really embarissed and ashamed to say that though I assumed I had no issues in this respect, on rare occasions I have. The last job I had I really upset someone and I couldn't understand what I had done, and it is only looking back on things that I realize what had happened. The very strange thing about it (And I really can't explain this... How it works...) is that when the gentleman told me something I had to have him repeat it several times and in the end I just said yes when he asked "Do you understand" so he would be happy. It was a very simple thing he was telling me not to do, and... Well I must explain more. I had just come out of an energy loss situation so I have to admit that I was not at my best. This was when the gentleman in work gave me instructions that he was going to be handling my overtime pay and not to let anyone else handle it (I was owed a couple of days or a day. Can't remember). Then the manager put his arm round me ans said "Lets sort the overtime out". I saw him look at me (The man who had said he was handling it... He was also in athority over me and had more if a grasp on the situation). I went with the manager as I was a little fuzzy due to coming out of the energy loss, and there was quite a delay between my hearing that day and my brain catching up.
Lookig back, it has also happened to me at doctors and in hospitals where I am very much on edge. It is like people say things like doctors, and I hear them using clear formed words ans I nod as if I understand (To be polite etc) but I come away with not understanding what has been said.

I once (Due to extreme fatigue but I don't think it is related to the above) found my mind bouncing back and fore where I really upset someone as he said not to say something and I was confused, and the half of what he said which he said before he said not to say I assumed was ok, but then the bit he said after I assumed was the bit he aanted to stay confidential. In my mind I could not make sense of why he wanted what he said confidential, so I kept the second part confidential, but assumed the first part of our conversation was ok. It was the way he said it. Anyway. I really messed up so I decided to leave the job with a very good pay and pension. I was just too tired. The shifts had caught up with me.
I was ever so sorry but there was nothing at all that I could do. I also remember having entire conversations with my trains manager and walking away and not having a clue what I had just said. I believe this to be extreme tiredness.

What I am really concerned about is the first bit I put above. The tiredness part (Last part) is avoidable. The first bit where my brain was just not accepting speech even though I heard it plain and clear... That is my concern. The very strange thing is after the event (When there was a delay) I was able to recall what was said and make sense of it. Why is this possible when I did not understand it at first? It could be the effects of stress (Which is why I get what I describe as energy loss) which when it happens it usually lasts from a few minutes to about twenty minutes at the most though I don't quite feel as good afterwards... I have recovered but it is like being mildly groggy... Hard to explain. Anyway. Maybe someone can relate to it?

So many times people have said something to me and I have asked them to repeat it still not got it but just say okay.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 4:19 pm

I need to clarify a little. Do you get it only when you are on edge or stressed, or do you get it anyway? Is auditory processing dissorder what I had that time? I don't get it often. Actually fairly rare.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2019, 4:27 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I need to clarify a little. Do you get it only when you are on edge or stressed, or do you get it anyway? Is auditory processing dissorder what I had that time? I don't get it often. Actually fairly rare.

I only get it when I am in public and I suppose I am a little on the edge at the time.