Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

12 May 2019, 10:58 am

Hey everyone,
I recently got a job at a Trampoline Park and the first shift (Yesterday) didn't go to well. Before I go into further detail I did not let them know that I have autism till after the situation occurred. So I was making sure kids were going one at a time on this one activity for the first couple hours of my shift. The Lead Monitor came up to me and said that we were changing stations and go to the ball pit obstacle course which they never really told me what to do there. I was trying my best to make sure everyone was safe. One of the managers came up to me and just said to make sure that i'm making sure the kids are following the rules then he walked off without giving me a chance to ask what rules were needed to be enforced and what I was needing to do. A couple minutes later this other Manager came up and started asking me what am I doing and was kind of raising his voice at me for saying I don't know really what's happening, nobody has told me what I needed to do. He started doing it himself and told me to do the same thing he was doing and when I reworded something that he wanted me to say he start looking at me like I was stupid and started telling me I was telling them the wrong thing. I started crying because he was talking so quickly and he told me to go on break without saying anything else.
I cried for about 45 minutes and started calling my mom saying I don't know if I could handle this job because of the way he treated me. Finally after some arguing with my parents and them telling me I need to go talk to a nicer manager about my autism and what happened. Finally a girl came up to me and i told her i needed to speak with her about something. Once I told her everything she was very nice about it and understood. It has happened before with this manager that same manager.
Well here are some of my questions.
Is there any accommodations I can ask for in a workplace setting like this? I don't know what the laws are about accommodations in the workplace?

Sorry for the long post, You can just skip the situation that happened and just go ahead and answer to my question.
Thanks!

StayLucid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 May 2019, 3:45 pm

I sounds like the manager was heavy handed in the way he addressed you. It's not your fault if they put you in a position which you had not been trained for. Management is stressful, and he may not have known you hadn't been told what to do at the ball pit. He's still a jerk but I'm thinking this may be something that will just blow over.

Always ask questions! If you aren't totally clear, ask, ask, ask. They could get annoyed at all the questions, but then they can't get annoyed at you for doing the wrong thing. And it shows you are engaged.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 5:57 pm

I don't have an answer to your question about accommodations, but I just wanted to observe that a trampoline park seems like it could be a pretty stressful place for someone with autism to work. Noisy, lots of social communication, chaotic... good luck with your experience there but if it doesn't work out, look into a different type of work.

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

12 May 2019, 7:23 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
I don't have an answer to your question about accommodations, but I just wanted to observe that a trampoline park seems like it could be a pretty stressful place for someone with autism to work. Noisy, lots of social communication, chaotic... good luck with your experience there but if it doesn't work out, look into a different type of work.

It was the only job that would take me. Not even a job that I went to school for wanted me because I didn’t have experience in working. Also I did prepare myself for the social communication and all. I just told myself it’ll be good to grow my skills in communication.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 7:44 pm

When they do something wrong, it's a "miscommunication"

When you do something wrong, "it's your last day"

Something similar happened to me at Great America and UCSF

The second one, made me redundant

Boss said, do something tomorrow

Next day, I did what I thought she told me to do

The stupid b***h denied it

That's why, from now on, I feel like I have to, videocamera