Did you go to speech therapy in school?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 1:50 pm

Did you go to speech therapy in school? I started this thread after someone got confused in the other speech thread, thinking it was referring to speech therapy.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 May 2019, 6:51 pm

I was in speech therapy till I started high-skewl. I had problems making S, Z, Th, Ch, Sh, Ph sounds

You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 7:10 pm

Age four

Speech therapy

School

The next school I went to didn't have a speech therapist

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 1:33 am

When I was in high school I went to a student therapist at the local college.

Not school but since my partial tongue replacement, I have had loads of speech and swallow therapy.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

Skilpadde
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 May 2019, 7:16 am

No, I didn't need it.
One girl in my class did, because she stuttered.

“When the green hills are covered with talking wires and the wolves no longer sing, what good will the money you paid for our land be then” ― Chief Seattle

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 7:24 am

Yes. Lots.

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 May 2019, 8:09 am

Yes, in elementary school and in high school. I don't really remember any of it, though, or what I did. I have a pretty noticeable lisp.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 8:27 am

I went through a type of speech therapy 60 years ago. In the third grade the teacher saw a problem with the way I spoke. I thought it was due to my two large buckteeth. But anyways, I was sent to Special Class. Three days a week, special students along with myself were collected from their respective classroom and led to a secret hidden room off of the main school cafeteria. This happened while I was in the 3rd & 4th grade. The hidden room had a beautiful conference room table and very nice soft leather chairs. It was such a nice hidden room that I really didn’t mind being there. Our strange assignment during the hour we were in special class was to recite tongue twisters very fast and yet very distinctly. I thought it was a strange thing to do, but who am I to dispute a teacher. I remember the two types of tongue twisters that we recited. These were:

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers,
then how many pickled peppers did Peter Piper pick?

Sally sells seashells by the seashore.
The shells Sally sells are surely from the sea.

I remember that it took great concentration to recite tongue twisters accurately. And you really had to work at it in order to say them fast. It must have been very effective because for the rest of my life I was never perceived as have a speech impediment again.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 8:34 am

NewTime wrote:
Did you go to speech therapy in school? ...
Yes. For a few days in kindergarten. Then some other kids told the teach I was faking it, so she withdrew me from the program. It wasn't until my sophomore year that I was able to speak 'normal'. Until then, I would get up to speak, people would laugh, the teacher would yell at me, and I'd get a fail for the assignment.

I thank God I don't ever have to go through that again!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 8:50 am

They really listened to a bunch of five-year-olds saying that you "faked" it?

That's cuckoo!

I had extensive speech therapy before I actually spoke at age 5 1/2. Then, I had it sporadically throughout my childhood, and had some later in my life for mild stuttering.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 9:13 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
They really listened to a bunch of five-year-olds saying that you "faked" it? ...
When a group of fresh-faced and popular kids whose parents are officers of the PTA tell the teacher that one other kid is faking a speech problem, the teacher is more inclined to believe them than the one bullied kid with the speech problem, eczema covering 90% of his body, an unpleasant aroma from the medicated ointments he had to wear, and two older brothers who had already vandalized the school.

Yes, Kortie. It happened.

:roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 9:19 am

I believe you.....it's just cuckoo, that's all.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 9:22 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I believe you.....it's just cuckoo, that's all.
Michigan ... 1960s ... public school ... a time when anyone on crutches was accused of "looking for sympathy".

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 3:34 pm

Yes, until the beginning of my high school years.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:31 pm

jimmy m wrote:
I went through a type of speech therapy 60 years ago. In the third grade the teacher saw a problem with the way I spoke. I thought it was due to my two large buckteeth. But anyways, I was sent to Special Class. Three days a week, special students along with myself were collected from their respective classroom and led to a secret hidden room off of the main school cafeteria. This happened while I was in the 3rd & 4th grade. The hidden room had a beautiful conference room table and very nice soft leather chairs. It was such a nice hidden room that I really didn’t mind being there. Our strange assignment during the hour we were in special class was to recite tongue twisters very fast and yet very distinctly. I thought it was a strange thing to do, but who am I to dispute a teacher. I remember the two types of tongue twisters that we recited. These were:

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers,
then how many pickled peppers did Peter Piper pick?

Sally sells seashells by the seashore.
The shells Sally sells are surely from the sea.

I remember that it took great concentration to recite tongue twisters accurately. And you really had to work at it in order to say them fast. It must have been very effective because for the rest of my life I was never perceived as have a speech impediment again.

That did not make you targets?

I would have been mortified if I was “collected”.

There was no special ed in my district. No concept or word for it. The special ed was the local psychiatric institution called “Creedmore”.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 9:41 pm

nick007 wrote:
I was in speech therapy till I started high-skewl. I had problems making S, Z, Th, Ch, Sh, Ph sounds

I had trouble with those letters too & P, B, I mixed up B with P, it is still hard.

Nick, when you going to PM me.