Page 1 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 4:13 pm

This weekend, I did a staycation at a hotel in my city as one of my favorite conventions was in town and I got a really good deal on a hotel room. The hotel is just a few blocks from where I work and I elected to pay early and check in before work since work didn't start for a half hour last Thursday.

The guy at the front desk and I really seemed to hit it off and he said that he liked my personality and because of that, gave me an upgrade to a small suite. A little later on he called me up to see if I like my room and all that and said that he gave me an upgrade because he liked me.

Yesterday afternoon, while on my way to do something in the hotel lobby, I ran into him and said hello by trying to be cordial but he wanted to stop and talk to me. He said that he was looking for me and that he wanted to meet me for lunch.

I thought that he is otherwise a nice guy who is likable and a lot of fun but I didn't have any intent on starting a relationship with people I do business with like that. I made to habit to avoid him specifically because I didn't want him to get into trouble because it sounds like he has a great trajectory path career-wise that I want him to follow.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 4:29 pm

You made the right call. Dating co-workers is not good, and in some businesses, it isn’t even allowed.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 5:56 pm

So now we have the friendzone and the professional zone too? what else? lol

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 5:57 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
You made the right call. Dating co-workers is not good, and in some businesses, it isn’t even allowed.

Those are inhuman businesses tho.

Statistically a huge % of relationships start at work.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 6:11 pm

My sister and brother in law where co-workers and still working for the same company. They were always in a different departments but same kind of job. However this is the sort of relationship where being on the spectrum is a bigger disadvantage. You are treading a very thin line you need a good social instinct, and understanding of office politics. When the started dating they used to leave separately the walk round the block the opposite way and meet up. Eventually they let the boss know then after move time it became common knowledge. Still they maintained what was considered professionalism. The other side of it is the maturity to handle attraction professional, when initially people have all sorts of distracting feelings and hormones.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 6:15 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Those are inhuman businesses tho.

Statistically a huge % of relationships start at work.

True because time. Peoples' life is increasingly work and little else. People are tired to go out and engage people on that level. That takes a lot of effort, and there is exposure at work. However, for someone on the spectrum it is a challenging environment. Not the easiest. However not impossible depending. Lot of factors, depend on the job.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 6:20 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

I don't think they work together As I understand. She is a customer at the hotel.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 6:28 pm

If you don't work together. That is easier. However you are right to be concerned about his work etiquette. It is more a question of having an appropriate time and space to get to know each other. Some of what you said sounded like sales/customer service except the lunch part. If you are interested enough to continue take it slowly get a better idea what he is like and if he is actually interested in the kind of relationship you are. Otherwise don't give it a second thought.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 May 2019, 6:31 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

I don't think they work together As I understand. She is a customer at the hotel.
That's what I thought too. If this is the case, I think it should be the guy's choice if he wants to risk his career like that & might not get in trouble for it anyways. But it is ultimately ST's choice if she wants to date him or not.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 10:31 pm

Face of Boo, I made the Professional Zoned part up. :lol:

I talked to a good friend last night who I have known since high school and she said that it sounded like it was a form of sexual harassment by giving my a nice room for sexual favors in return which I would never do with anyone who works at a hotel.

I also felt that it was not appropriate for him to be flirting with guests while on the time clock and like Nick007 was saying, I didn't want him to blow it for himself and especially since he is supposed to be getting a master's in physics right now.

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2019, 11:45 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

The Bo-Zone? That's where someone thinks you're a bozo. Got bo-zoned a lot in high school...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 9:05 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Bozone - A social category wherein one places clowns, jokers, pranksters and fools.

Brozone - A social category wherein one places men with whom one could have a good time with in public, and that does not encourage social interaction outside of a 'brotherly' context.

Creepzone - A social category wherein one places those whom one should probably call the cops on for stalking.

Friendzone - A social category wherein one places mere acquaintances, and that does not encourage any social interaction at all.

Nozone - A social category wherein one places those whom one would never, ever have any social interactions with whatsoever.

Prozone - A social category wherein one places co-workers or business associates, and that does not encourage social interaction outside of a business environment.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 9:10 am

I can understand why you accepted the suite----I would want one, too! And I'm not criticizing you at all for accepting the suite. I would, probably, have accepted it as well.

But this sort of creepy stuff happens all the time. Tit for tat. Suite for.....a date!

Next time, don't accept the offer.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 9:26 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I can understand why you accepted the suite----I would want one, too! And I'm not criticizing you at all for accepting the suite. I would, probably, have accepted it as well.

But this sort of creepy stuff happens all the time. Tit for tat. Suite for.....a date!

Next time, don't accept the offer.

I loved the suite but when he called me to see if I liked my room, I thought "Uh-oh." That said, he only called my suite after I had arrived to drop off my stuff in the room. After that, he only talked to me that one other time which was on Saturday while I was on my way to get some brunch. He said he was looking for me and wanted to meet me for lunch and I avoided him even more.

Yesterday, for instance, he was at the front desk when I was in the process of checking out but luckily there was a box where I could drop my keys and another hotel personnel. I told him about it and he said he would report it to the manager.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 9:41 am

Why did he have to do that?

It's standard procedure, these days, for one to leave the key (unless they get a bill the night before). Everything is put on the credit card of the person who used it to reserve the room.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 11:12 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Why did he have to do that?

It's standard procedure, these days, for one to leave the key (unless they get a bill the night before). Everything is put on the credit card of the person who used it to reserve the room.

What do you mean?

At any rate, I got ahold of the correct contact information for the general manager of the hotel and emailed him because when I checked out, that front desk personnel was working. Yes, I understand one of the other managers was there but I didn't feel comfortable talking to her in front of him. So, when I dropped the keys off in the box in the lobby, I told another personnel.

Last edited by Summer_Twilight on 13 May 2019, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.