Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 9:56 am

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/doris-day-legendary-actress-dies-at-97/ar-AABioQ0?OCID=ansmsnnews11

PurpleReject
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2019, 10:13 am

That's disappointing. I can't say I was a mega-fan, but her music was pleasant listening and her movies were often great fun; her romantic comedies defined the genre. I also admired her work in animal welfare.

At least she lived a long and fulfilling life...I was getting rather tired of seeing celebrities in their 40s and 50s dying as of late.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 12:13 pm

Que sera sera.

"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 12:51 pm

Our dear Dodo has left the building.

She will certainly be missed.

:cry:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 2:07 pm

Godspeed, sweet lady.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 2:53 am

Misslizard wrote:
Que sera sera.

Whatever will be will be...the futures not ours to see (especially nowadays)

Last edited by cyberdad on 14 May 2019, 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 3:00 am

...Also known as " America's Oldest Virgin " :lol: . Unless she had a secret love :P ! Perhaps they took a sentimental journey...
The line is " The future's not OURS to see", incidentally. Not meant as a put-down, to make it clear...We all mishear :roll: sound lyrics! :mrgreen: :oops: :roll:

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 3:49 am

I know very little about her, other than that Megadeth's "Countdown to Extinction" was the first metal song to win a Doris Day award.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 4:08 am

"Dig it, dig it, dig that Doris on the vocal chorus"-

"i ain't hep to that step, but i'll dig it" :dj:

Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 11:41 am

cyberdad wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Que sera sera.

Whatever will be will be...the futures not ours to see (especially nowadays)

Que sera sera. What will be will be.

The thing about Doris Day is that her movies made people happy. Maybe most of them aren’t exactly critically acclaimed masterpieces, but she gave many moments of happiness to many people for many years.

I also respect her love and respect for Rock Hudson. She was ahead of her time.

Last edited by Twilightprincess on 14 May 2019, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 11:44 am

I didn't know, until rather recently, that she was a Big Band singer before her acting career.

She lived a tremendously long and fulfilling life.

Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 11:58 am

ASS-P wrote:
...Also known as " America's Oldest Virgin " :lol: . Unless she had a secret love :P ! Perhaps they took a sentimental journey...
The line is " The future's not OURS to see", incidentally. Not meant as a put-down, to make it clear...We all mishear :roll: sound lyrics! :mrgreen: :oops: :roll:

I remember reading that she was surprised that that song became her biggest hit. She thought of it as just a kid’s song.

It’s in several of her movies. Firstly, in the sole Alfred Hitchcock film she’s in. They didn’t really hit it off, apparently.

Last edited by Twilightprincess on 14 May 2019, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 12:00 pm

It was also the theme song of at least one of her sitcoms from the late 60s-early 70s.

Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 12:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It was also the theme song of at least one of her sitcoms from the late 60s-early 70s.

It’s catchy. I used to sing it to my little boy.

Great... It’s in my head now!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 12:43 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

...I first heard.it that way, as the theme to that show, presumably.a new version - which kept changing its format/set-up, season to season...Ond year she was a widowed mother living on a farm, next year she'd moved to the city and was living alone - It was the same series, it ran four or five seasons but I never seemed to see it derun :roll: .
In the Eighties she had a series for Disney Channel where she interviewed fellow celebrities about her pets - Rock Hudson was on it and he looked so scrawny.and wasted that that led to his infection with AIDS :( getting revealed.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!