Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Mastercraft
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 May 2019, 10:17 am

One of my college courses this semester has been Database Design and Development, a course that they only teach a single class in, once a year during the Spring semester. It's primarily done in MySQL, but this year, they updated to a new version of MySQL and the entire server went down. And to this day, it's stayed down, they're literally putting it off until next year.

As a result, I can't access anything I create in MySQL, the first month of classes were done on paper because we couldn't even log into the server, and even now, my final project is mostly guesswork since I can't run anything. Add to that daily errors that no one can seem to figure out how to solve, and it's been a tough year.

My question is, since I'm paying tuition to be taught databasing and the school has so far failed to do so, could this be considered theft or false advertising? They're basically taking my money for free. I don't plan to do anything to them, this is purely for my own thoughts. And also a bit because of how angry this course has made me.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 1:07 pm

Name of school, address, et cetera, please?

I know some people on the East Coast who may be able to raise a stink over this.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mastercraft
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 May 2019, 4:18 pm

No thanks, like I said, I won't do anything proactive against them, it's not in my nature. This post was mostly a fit of anger at the time (my school had yet another DDoS attack today, so I almost wasn't able to get my final project finished).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 4:22 pm

It's your call, then.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 8:25 am

I believe the school should work harder to resolve that "server problem." I wouldn't call it "theft," per se.

But.....maybe you should talk to somebody in the university about some sort of reimbursement? Especially if you get a bad grade in the course because of the "glitch"?