anyone else depressed by the monotony of a Disney monopoly!

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 7:53 pm

I feel thoroughly upset sbout the syranglehold that Disney has on the cinema screens of the world.
Every other week there's a blockbuster coming out, pushing smaller mainstream films out to the smaller cinemas, and non mainstream cinema is nearly gone entirely.

It's not so much the boring monotony of avatar or marvel in itself, but the ubiquity on major distribution channels, meaning people won't stumble across non-Disney films by accident so easily, diminishing audiences for that further... And leading to a generation growing up exclusively on disney franchises.

Am I alone in this?

1stSauce
Toucan
Toucan

13 May 2019, 10:05 pm

Disney doesn't bother me too much but I do wish they'd take more risks on dark films like Maleficent

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 10:57 pm

It's called a monopoly. When you own everything you can be everywhere.

breaks0
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 May 2019, 11:04 pm

thewrll wrote:

I'm gonna put my Marxist hat on for a minute and just point out the obvious, that the mass media (at least in the States) is an example of "monopoly capitalism". People who follow neoclassical economics call that an oligopoly, where a few firms control the industry. Marxists' definition of monopoly capitalism is basically the same thing. We live in an era where that's pretty much true in all industries unfortunately.

And for the record, I basically hate all of the mass media, Disney included.

Last edited by breaks0 on 13 May 2019, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 11:05 pm

breaks0 wrote:
thewrll wrote:

I'm gonna put my Marxist hat on for a minute and just point out the obvious, that the mass media (at least in the States) is an example of "monopoly capitalism". People who follow neoclassical economics call that an oligopoly, where a few firms control the industry. Marxists' definition of monopoly capitalism is basically the same thing. We live in an era where that's pretty much true in all industries unfortunately.

Yeah first started with Newspapers here and more and more huge companies are seeing it as an opportunity.

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 May 2019, 12:59 pm

Disney doesn't own the internet (yet); we still have unfettered access to a whole planet's worth of independent cinema at our very fingertips. If people are looking for something different, they can and will find it, and now they find it easier than ever, certainly easier and faster than I did growing up in the pre-internet era. I wouldn't worry too much about the scenario you're painting happening.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 1:19 pm

I've watched indie films on Amazon Prime. Most of the theaters around here are multiplexes that show at least a couple of different movies at any given time, even when everyone wants to see a major blockbuster like Endgame. There is even a multiplex that shows an indie film all the time that is only a couple miles away.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 3:15 pm

Hope there isn't too big a change and they don't censor. Need my anime which shows those features.

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2019/05/ ... streaming/

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 3:26 pm

BTDT wrote:
I've watched indie films on Amazon Prime. Most of the theaters around here are multiplexes that show at least a couple of different movies at any given time, even when everyone wants to see a major blockbuster like Endgame. There is even a multiplex that shows an indie film all the time that is only a couple miles away.

the multiplexes here in germany almost exclusively sjhow the disney-fare. There's small indie cinemas for indie films, and it often happens that i'm alone in the cinema, whenever something remotely weird is shown.

Yes, the internet makes stuff available - but the internet hasn't figured out how to reimburse people.
there's amazon, netflix and soon disney plus that have figured out how to pay filmmakers, but they don't do the really extravagant stuff. Sure, they produce all genres, but the extremes of each genre are always too far out there to be greenlit by something like netflix.
I'm expecting there will be endless stylistic repetition, because innovation will be too risky.
actually, that's the case already, and has been for a decade or so.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 3:52 pm

Not depressed so much as disillusioned. I used to think that Disney™ could do no wrong until I noticed that the local Disney™-owned news channel ("ABC-7 Eyewitness News™") filters its news so as to minimize any mention of anything bad happening around Disneyland™. For example, a news feature about a car chase on the southbound I5 freeway went from Buena Park to Orange/Tustin without any mention of Anaheim at all.

The I5 freeway passes through Anaheim along the property line of Disneyland™, with Buena Park to the north and Orange/Tustin to the south.

Obviously, DisneyCorp™ did not want any tarnish on the squeaky-clean image of The Happiest Place On Earth™.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 10:04 am

It's annoying to me too. And i even like Disney!

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2019, 11:21 pm

I like Disney's work, but I hate the corporation itself. Best way to get back at them is to pirate as much as you can!

Say, where's a pirate emoticon when you need one? I could've sworn WP had one.

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 6:26 am

time to bring out our blatinasian transgender amputee hiv+ princess

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2019, 6:47 pm

ollychan wrote:
time to bring out our blatinasian transgender amputee hiv+ princess

That I would be curious about. Just to see how Disney would spin that into its usual sugarcoated ayn rand propaganda.

ollychan
Veteran
Veteran