1958 high school students debating college and education

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2019, 10:06 pm

I thought this was a trip. I also wonder what they'd think if they knew what college tuition and debt would become in 50 to 60 years - likely the guy in the corner would feel pretty vindicated.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 3:39 am

The societal gender norms of the period are on display here.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 4:56 am

Before home computers & internet.

It's much easier now to hear about, and read about occupations.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 6:11 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Before home computers & internet.

It's much easier now to hear about, and read about occupations.

Heck, I even missed out. I floundered around in my 20's (early to mid 2000's) trying to figure out what I wanted to do. Just five or ten years later Youtube was filled with vloggers from any profession who could tell you all about it.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 9:00 am

4:07 - "You can be a doctor, you can be a lawyer, you can be a journalist, you can even be a teacher."

What a joke it would be to put journalist alongside those professions today. Don't forget the respect that profession used to carry.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 10:19 am

Drake wrote:
4:07 - "You can be a doctor, you can be a lawyer, you can be a journalist, you can even be a teacher."

What a joke it would be to put journalist alongside those professions today. Don't forget the respect that profession used to carry.

Even the doctors and teachers are often disrespected today. In those days whatever the doctor or teacher said was rarely questioned. Nowadays the helicopter parents run the schools and the insurance companies and lawyers run the medical profession.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 10:25 pm

I was just watching this video on Sunday. It was very interesting to see what kids thought of a college education back than. I found the video very educational and informative.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 10:26 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The societal gender norms of the period are on display here.

I would have hated being around back in those days.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 10:40 pm

Thank you for posting!
I especially enjoyed the facilitator and the woman to his right, who was defending Liberal Arts.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 10:50 pm

I'd figure most of them are probably still alive as well, 78 pushing 79. It would be interesting to see how they'd critique some of the thoughts that went around in this discussion.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 11:16 pm

I believe the thoughts are all quite relevant today.