Neurodiversity movement is basically the dignity movement.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ThePerfectionist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2019, 9:39 am

I see the word neurodiversity flying around quite often, but I don't like using something so long to describe what I view as basic dignity because essentially, if you are on the autism spectrum you have two options: view yourself as defective or view yourself as effective. I choose the latter and endeavor to use every part of my being, including autistic traits, to be as good at what I do as I possibly can and through these efforts I am appeciated.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 2:56 am

I've never heard neurodiversity described in this way before, but can't say I completely disagree with where you're coming from. I personally don't view myself as either fully defective or fully effective, since there are certain things where I excel more than your average person, and certain other things that I find more difficult than most. I personally like the term "neurodiversity", but I definitely see where the whole "dignity" thing comes to play. For a lot of us the mental health complications that come with living in this neurotypical world (and being viewed by many of them "lesser") really do weigh down on our dignity and self-esteem, and the neurodiversity movement is one of the main ways we are fighting to get some of that dignity and self-esteem back.

#palestinianlivesmatter

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 12:28 pm

i think that everyone has the right to dignity and that's what the Neruodiversity Movement is all about. I'm glad it's taking place as I type. I think the Neurodiversity Movement should have taken place in the 1920s and 1930s.

Ziemael
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jun 2019, 12:28 am

It is a load of saccharine reverse psychology. Most medical professionals that are educated in autism know that we die of suicide "accidents" and heart attacks. So to CYA their positions they say crap like "autism is a gift". See I am a good person, I am saying encouraging things, I am not at fault. That wouldn't be needed if it were actually true. No stupid, it, the autism, sucks. It doesn't have chemo like cancer has, it doesn't have a cure. So the salesman is showing. Go with anecdotes, stories, testimony, other "I have no real way to help" things to do. Commonalities that ring true with other useless endeavours, such as politicians, charlatans, and other BS artists I am not swallowing the NT placebo so they can write off any guilt associated with a proffessions mostly usless, ineffective, and clumsy junk like ABA that does nothing for a condition that stresses out a class of people so badly that these symptoms kill them a decade or earlier than those outside the group. Point in fact the old age homes are devoid of us. Dignity in death maybe but it is a small consolation... no not a consolation at all unless you believe in an afterlife.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 2:33 am

Looks like you fundamentally misunderstand the neurodiversity movement:

Ziemael wrote:
It is a load of saccharine reverse psychology. Most medical professionals that are educated in autism know that we die of suicide "accidents" and heart attacks. So to CYA their positions they say crap like "autism is a gift". See I am a good person, I am saying encouraging things, I am not at fault.

The neurodiversity movement was started by autistic people, not by doctors. For a brief history of the neurodiversity movement, see this book review by Ari Ne'eman, founder of ASAN.

Ziemael wrote:
That wouldn't be needed if it were actually true. No stupid, it, the autism, sucks.

What sucks is being autistic in a world where we are not accepted. Many of us could live much happier and less stressful lives in a more autistic-friendly world. The point of the neurodiversity movement is to make the world more accommodating to autistic people (and to people with other developmental disabilities).

As an intermediate step, I think we need to build (with the help of sympathetic NTs) an autistic-friendly subculture including autistic-friendly workplaces.

Ziemael wrote:
so they can write off any guilt associated with a proffessions mostly usless, ineffective, and clumsy junk like ABA that does nothing for a condition that stresses out a class of people so badly that these symptoms kill them a decade or earlier than those outside the group.

Far from excusing the stressfulness of ABA, neurodiversity activists have been the main people objecting to ABA.

Ziemael wrote:
Point in fact the old age homes are devoid of us.

We have no way of knowing how many undiagnosed autistic people there may be in old age homes.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2019, 3:45 am

Ziemael wrote:
It is a load of saccharine reverse psychology. Most medical professionals that are educated in autism know that we die of suicide "accidents" and heart attacks. So to CYA their positions they say crap like "autism is a gift". See I am a good person, I am saying encouraging things, I am not at fault. That wouldn't be needed if it were actually true. No stupid, it, the autism, sucks. It doesn't have chemo like cancer has, it doesn't have a cure. So the salesman is showing. Go with anecdotes, stories, testimony, other "I have no real way to help" things to do. Commonalities that ring true with other useless endeavours, such as politicians, charlatans, and other BS artists I am not swallowing the NT placebo so they can write off any guilt associated with a proffessions mostly usless, ineffective, and clumsy junk like ABA that does nothing for a condition that stresses out a class of people so badly that these symptoms kill them a decade or earlier than those outside the group. Point in fact the old age homes are devoid of us. Dignity in death maybe but it is a small consolation... no not a consolation at all unless you believe in an afterlife.

It is random people on the internet that are saying autism is a gift or the next step in evolution. The medical professionals put Autism in the official list of disorders. ND leaders do say Autism is not 100 percent negative. But they don’t say it is a gift only. They say it is a disability.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman